Lube my chain!

priboy

• Premium Member
Back in the day, before sealed chains, where I come from between the ages of 16 and 18 you could only get a licence for a 50cc. Of course, the boys always wanted to modify their bikes for more power, porting and after market expansion boxes were popular. But I new a mechanic who always demonstrated to them first how proper maintenance of the chain could give them typically 10% more speed - because they were usually too lazy to maintain the chains. Incidentally the Yamahas were the fastest (FS50 I seem to recall). I think those two stroke motorcycles were a great introduction to vehicle mechanics and self reliance. They were easy to hack and spares were relatively cheap. In the UK there is a concern about the loss of manufacturing and lack of engineers and technicians. Allowing young people access to cheap mopeds might generate new interest in mechanics. A mechanical version of the Raspberry Pi if you'd like. If two stroke engines have been banned forever, what about electric bicycles. They have been regulated to extinction. You cannot have more than 250 watt and they are not allowed to assist above 17 mph. That is stupid. Allow them at least 750 watt and 40 mph?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I understand that you feel that lubricating the chain on the outside has no advantage I'm not sure. I think a chain with a film of oil will run more easily over the sprocket that a dry, rusted chain. But if it works for you I am not going to argue.

I'm not saying there is no advantage to maintenance, I just don't see that it's worth the effort.

What maintenance does do is help save the o-rings, assuming you aren't using a product that dries out the o-rings. Beyond that I don't see that it helps much.

I'm so old school!  Keep it wet for me!  :-X
I wipe off the chain with a rag dosed with WD40 every time the bike goes on the center stand at home. I use LUCAS spray lube, then wipe the chain down again with a dry rag to prevent drips - all while the chain's still warm from the last ride.  

I do not put WD40 on the rollers as it might break down the O rings in the chain. I also wipe down that side of the tire with alcohol, if I over-spray. Some lube does fling off. And the rear wheel, kickstand and front cover get grungy. Maybe it'll keep me from taping the rims until the forum comes up with a best product in that thread...

In the good old days, I used to scrub my chain and sprockets in a solvent bath, then soak them in hot 90W with axle bearing grease mixed in for a couple of hours each weekend for the MX/Dirt bikes.  I like the idea of a small bottle of oil for the saddlebag and carry Cross Country Finish Line WET. It's a synthetic that repels water and is sold in bicycle shops.  

I live in a pretty humid place, so, if I can feel lube when I touch the rollers, it's a good thing.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I use Bel-Ray Blue-Tac chain lube every 1000 miles and Honda Chain Cleaner whenever I notice excessive grunge building up on the chain . I have almost 6000 miles on my FJ and havnt needed to adjust chain slack since the 600 mile service was completed . I have used this same process on my FZ1 and easily get 40,000 miles out of a set of chain and sprockets .

• 6 months later...
Dupont silicone spray. It cleans and lubes in one. My chain has never lasted longer. I lube it every 400-500 mi. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D3ZKVAS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1448492868&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=dupont+teflon+silicone+spray
It sounds so wrong.  "Good for NON Metal surfaces" on the can?  Silicone is not suppose to be good in compression as what happens a little on the sprokets.  How Long do your chains last?  And how many have you used using silicone?  Just asking.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I clean the chain with kerosene every 600-800 miles and follow up with a thorough coat of Bel Ray chain lube.

BelRaySuperCleanChainLube.jpg

Been using this for years on all my chain-driven bikes. I got well over 30k miles out of my chain on the SV-650, the sprockets showed virtually no wear when I replaced them with the chain. Dries quickly, resists fling-off and does not hold dirt & crap. I used to only use oil on my chains but after finding this stuff, I'm a believer.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

On my 955 Speed Triples I used to use a tacky chain lube every 300 miles or so and would clean the chain with WD40 twice a year (4000 miles). This would regularly get me 18000 miles from a set of chain and sprockets. Now I spray the chain with Triflo and wipe off the excess at the end of any ride of more than 200 miles.  Triflo does fling off a bit but never gets tacky so is easy to clean from the wheel.  My chain never needs cleaning and I now consistently get 32000 miles from a set of chain and sprockets.  Just my 2p. 

2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

ON my first bike I rode 8K miles before I ever added a drop of oil. I did bring it in for the servicing at the appropriate intervals so it was probably oiled then. Im not recommending this, Im just saying modern chains are pretty resilient. I now oil when ever I notice it looks dry. I usually wash the bike at least 2x a year whether it needs it or not! And at that point I'll definitely oil :)

All this is bad advice. Oil frequently and it will last longer. Or, if you are like me, oil less frequently so down the road I can add a D1D Gold x-ring :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

I bought Yamaha Chain lube from the Yamaha shop. I just told the guy I needed lube that would be right f my bike. But I am sick of hassling with chains. My next bike will be shaft drive.
"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing.
Rush in and die, dogs — I was a man before I was a king!" -- from t poem "The Road of Kings" by Robt. E. Howard

I clean the chain with kerosene every 600-800 miles and follow up with a thorough coat of Bel Ray chain lube. 

Been using this for years on all my chain-driven bikes. I got well over 30k miles out of my chain on the SV-650, the sprockets showed virtually no wear when I replaced them with the chain. Dries quickly, resists fling-off and does not hold dirt & crap. I used to only use oil on my chains but after finding this stuff, I'm a believer.
Question?  If you were going on a 8K ride, putting on around 450 miles a day.  What would your lubing and cleaning schedule be?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member

Question?  If you were going on a 8K ride, putting on around 450 miles a day.  What would your lubing and cleaning schedule be?
auto-oiler...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived