Lube my chain!

priboy

After trying many different sprays (and even spending 120€ on a Cameleon oiler a few years back - hated it), I use Elf chain paste with a toothbrush. The good thing about the paste is that unlike sprays, you don't lube your garage floor and half the engine ;-) (or have to put protective sheets to prevent that).
It's pretty popular in France, not sure of the availiblity elsewhere.
motochainpaste.png__283x488_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.png[EDIT] : Motul has one with an "integrated toothbrush", might be worth a try http://www.amazon.com/Motul-Chain-Lube-Paste-5-7oz/dp/B008KJT2SE
for about the same price, $9. You might want to apply a bit less product than this fellow did, though ;-)
1212-crup-01-o_motul_chain-spray.jpg?itok=aN0yxXNY

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
It sounds so wrong.  "Good for NON Metal surfaces" on the can?  Silicone is not suppose to be good in compression as what happens a little on the sprokets.  How Long do your chains last?  And how many have you used using silicone?  Just asking.
This was the report I read and started from. The DuPont product is a silicon and Teflon mix. My chain has lasted half again as long since switching to this product.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/
I have and still use the "old" formula Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant. Stocked up on it while it was still available. I used it exclusively on my DL1000 V Strom from the beginning. Others were reporting chains needing replacement after 12,000 miles, and on the stock chain I got 22,000 miles. My regimen was to lube the chain every 1,000 miles whether it needed it or not. That included a Great Divide Ride. Don't know about the new formula, but the old one really worked!  

Has anyone tried "Blaster" chain and cable lube? Supposed to have teflon in it. Bought a can to replace LucasOil chain lube which leaves a mess if you ride at highway speeds. Just worried that it might not cushion the chain as real oils do.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I am using the Maxima Chain Wax. It works good and doesn't wash away much. It also can be used for cable lube. Previously I used Maxima chain lube (the sticky goopy stuff) and everything stuck to it. Also tried atf and it washed off in 20mins of rain :(. I used to own a grunge brush but I destroyed it in about 5 uses. My current regimen is to spray on some sort of de-greaser while washing my bike and spray off with a hose and wipe dry afterwards.

Once a month I do this - Kerosene (paraffin here in the UK) , grunge brush, Kerosene, wipe clean with a cloth, apply Silkolene semi-synthetic chain lube - done!

I also use a Grease Ninja to apply the chain lube, which is one of the best bike gadgets that I've bought so far - gets the job done in seconds, without any mess.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm using an 85W90 oil for transmissions and gearboxes, like Regina Chains and DID say, i use a small brush, very little quantity of oil, with warm chain, i brush all the inside of the chain, then i leave it for all the night and the day after, i remove the extra oil with a clean towel.
Only few oil drops flying around (and they are easy to clean up, oil spray it's more hard), easy to use, very very cheap (8€ for a lt of oil), it's not durable like the sticky oil spray (300-400km instead 500-600 i think) but because of its "oil" nature, it leaves the chain clean with no dirt from the road like the spray does.

I use a spray can called "chain wax" used it on all of my chains, granted I have never had a bike long enough to tell if it works or not, but it seems to work just fine. The KLR chain was a little dirtier than the rest of the chains but that was because I went off road, mud, sand, 2 tracks, so I would blame that on a dirty KLR chain. The rest though, noticed nothing bad.

• Premium Member
My favorite combo now is Tirox Chain Clean 360, (Amazon) that comes with a neat 360 degree brush that is O ring friendly along with an aerosol can of chain cleaner. After the chain is cleaned up and wiped off, I use a Grease Ninja and the "old" formula Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant. I ride mostly paved roads and have not taken the bike out in the rain yet, so, my "every 1000 miles whether it needs it or not schedule applies. I have a Tuturo Chain oiler (thanks Richland Rich and Wessie) waiting in the wings when my supply of Dupont runs out. That won't be for a while though, because I stocked up before they discontinued the old formula.

• Premium Member
Here's my solution... 
Satellite Controlled Chain Oiling

Looks like a well designed kit but I'm trying to understand what a chain oiler needs gps for? 

Maybe they adjust the oil viscosity depending on where you are currently riding!

Looks like a well designed kit but I'm trying to understand what a chain oiler needs gps for? 

Maybe they adjust the oil viscosity depending on where you are currently riding!

It really couldn't change the viscosity - that's a manufactured in property of a liquid. Here is their justification:

The PRO-OILER is the first and only system to give you continuous electronically metered and pumped lubrication - based on how far you have traveled.

"Think about it:

The only thing that matters to your chain is the distance it's covered.

More distance = more oil... simple!

The PRO-OILER works like this:

· The microprocessor registers the actual speed and after a certain distance it sends a signal to the pump.

· The precision electromagnetic pump then delivers a dose of oil to the chain - always exactly the same amount per pump stroke, regardless of temperature or oil viscosity.

· You, the rider, can select the distance at which the pump fires. Your controller is mounted up front, and you see your settings and other info on the LED display.

· When it rains, or in dirty conditions, you simply adjust the oil delivery as you wish with the + and - buttons... all while on the move of course!"

Archived