Just for the record. I love my FJ

Lots of folks complaining about things on the FJ.  I suppose it is fine to be critical.  
I guess I am fortunate; I love everything about my FJ.

It is a fantastic machine.

I have owned many bikes in my life and this is the perfect machine for me now.

For comparison, I have owned a 2005 Ducati Multistrada and I would take the FJ over the Ducati hands down.

I wanted a sport-touring bike and this FJ does the job superbly.

• Premium Member
I concur.

It's very easy for a forum like this to give a bike a negative image as the noisiest people are the ones with problems. It's sad when someone does have a problem when they have just spunked out $10k or £9k on a new bike but we don't hear enough from the thousands of very contented owners.

I've just returned from a shakedown ride with my new luggage and the bike performs really well even with another 30kg of bracketry, boxes & contents strapped to the back.

I'm really looking forward to my trip with @johan and others to France next month as the bike is ready to go now...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I have owned sport bikes most of my riding life, and then switched to an upright, the FZ1. Liked that bike, but did not love it. It was a first Gen FZ1 and the suspension was just so so even with a Penske and fork internals. Went back to a sportbike, a 2007 R1 and loved that bike. Best handling bike I have ever owned, but it was not comfortable even with my bar risers. Then I bought an FJR1300, put a Penske on the back, Race Tech fork internals, gel leather seat, CalScience +2 windscreen, highway pegs, cruise control, and it handled all but the tight stuff very well, but still something was missing and it was heavy. Did I mention it was heavy? Then I bought the F-Jay. Right away I noticed the lightness of the bike which was my main objective. In the twisties, I am almost as fast as I was on my R1. The seat, started out being too firm, but now it is doable all day. Still I got in on the group buy to make things better. wind protection was so so, so I bought a taller windscreen and now is almost perfect (should have gone taller). The engine power is great, no problem there. I can get on the gas exiting a corner so soon it is unreal. So do I love my F-Jay, F-N-A I do. p3rry_zpsjpvxnqqr.gif
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I love mine as well. My last bike was nothing short of a miracle in how it was still surviving, suspension was done for, needed a lot of misc work here and there, not so great handling on the road, so this thing is basically like going from a late model poor condition Toyota Corolla to a Porsche Cayenne. I love it. There's very little I want to add to the bike and half of it is already on its way to me (fender eliminator and integrated tail light). My only future plans are to add a driving light up front to assist high beams on the long dark backroads and some low profile LED turn signals. Side bags may be in the future too for long travels, as well as a new seat.

I love the way it rides, I love the power delivery, it picks up and hauls the mail when I need it to, grips the road exceedingly well. It's no 200hp hyperbike but it sure does feel like one to a guy coming from a late model dual sport. I am thoroughly pleased with it and plan to keep it for a long time.

Most of the complaining is about very minor nits... like Yamaha not putting cruise control on it when all the supporting parts are there.

Overall, it's a great bike. I've been wanting a sub 500lb/ liter class sport tourer for many years. Before the FJ, the two closest were my Duc ST4S (POS), and VStrom 1k. Both had issues, and the FJ9 is better than either. A LOT better! Kudos to Yamaha for building it.

Obviously there are some things that could be improved upon, like the suspension. I would gladly have paid another $1k for full adjustable suspension, but at the price point, we get what we got. That's what the aftermarket is for.

Most of the complaining is about very minor nits... like Yamaha not putting cruise control on it when all the supporting parts are there. 
Overall, it's a great bike. I've been wanting a sub 500lb/ liter class sport tourer for many years. Before the FJ, the two closest were my Duc ST4S (POS), and VStrom 1k. Both had issues, and the FJ9 is better than either. A LOT better! Kudos to Yamaha for building it.

Obviously there are some things that could be improved upon, like the suspension. I would gladly have paid another $1k for full adjustable suspension, but at the price point, we get what we got. That's what the aftermarket is for.
I agree completely.  I've got my windscreen and suspension sorted out and once I get the seat that I want, I'll have nothing to complain about and a lot to love!   

• Premium Member
I concur. 
It's very easy for a forum like this to give a bike a negative image as the noisiest people are the ones with problems. It's sad when someone does have a problem when they have just spunked out $10k or £9k on a new bike but we don't hear enough from the thousands of very contented owners.

I've just returned from a shakedown ride with my new luggage and the bike performs really well even with another 30kg of bracketry, boxes & contents strapped to the back.

I'm really looking forward to my trip with @johan and others to France next month as the bike is ready to go now...
I'm really looking forward to the tour. I'm out of country this week and next weekend will be my shake down; trip to Wales. I commute with the bike every day (in London - square tyres) but I struggle to find time for longer rides. There are lots of potential niggles, all due to compromises, but I really am very happy with my purchase. I would have loved a Super10 for touring, an MT-07 for commuting, an R1 for track days and perhaps something like a MT-09 for weekend blasts. The Tracer comes closest to doing all of that. Check out the forums for GS1200s, K1300S etc. There are people there that are unlucky or just don't like the bike. They paid a lot more. Sometimes a large part of it is getting used to it. In many ways this bike is different from what people had before, give yourself and the bike time to adjust. Summer is coming, enjoy the ride. I am really looking forward to seven days of riding in France, something so different and cut off from work and other communications. Riding is the perfect stress reliever, it occupies the mind enough not to wander, but takes it away from everyday stresses. Can't wait.

• Premium Member
I'm off to Wales tomorrow - 270 mile round trip to Aberaeron & back, some of it on single track, mountain roads. I'll find out what the seat is like for a full day in the saddle as my longest day has half that distance.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I just did a 3.5 hour 200 mile loop today. 1 stop for a quick lunch. Lots of twisty 2-lane on the way, Lots of 70 mph highway on the way home. Averaged 52 mpg with the tuned ECU.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Archived