Cross linked brakes

When I was researching this bike I read somewhere on the internet that this bike has ABS and cross linked brakes. Now that I have the bike I wanted to read up on the cross linked brakes and I can't find anything on the internet or in the manual. Am I going nuts or does it really have cross linked brakes. And if anyone can give me the lowdown on how they work I would be grateful, heck I'm just happy to have ABS.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I liked the link brake system on my Super Tenere but you won't find it on the FJ/Tracer.

I'm sure Yamaha will add it eventually, just like the cruise control and electronic suspension available on the Super Tenere. They needed to save something from the parts catalogue for a 2 year model refresh...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I liked the link brake system on my Super Tenere but you won't find it on the FJ/Tracer. 
I'm sure Yamaha will add it eventually, just like the cruise control and electronic suspension available on the Super Tenere. They needed to save something from the parts catalogue for a 2 year model refresh...
I seriously doubt the FJ will get linked brakes and electronic suspension at this price point.  Part of the reason this bike is priced reasonably is because it's based so heavily on the FZ.  I do believe the cruise control though.  The housing for the switches is there, and I'll bet the wiring is there already too.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

I seriously doubt the FJ will get linked brakes and electronic suspension at this price point.  Part of the reason this bike is priced reasonably is because it's based so heavily on the FZ.  I do believe the cruise control though.  The housing for the switches is there, and I'll bet the wiring is there already too.
ES and linked brakes are not included at the base price point of either the FJR or the Tenere.  It adds at least $1,000.  It wouldn't surprise me if they did the same with the FJ in the coming years, but granted, there's no guarantee they will either.  The one thing I'm sure of though, is if they bring ES, it will not be at the current price point.

• Premium Member
Linked brakes are standard across the S10 range in the UK. They sell 2 versions of the bike in Europe. XT1200Z which has ABS & linked brakes costing £11k in the UK. The XT1200ZE has the electronic suspension and costs £12799 in the UK.

So, in my view they may develop an E spec of the Tracer which will put it at a similar £10k price point to the Z1000SX, Versys 1000 and Vstrom 1000 in the UK market.

Market conditions may be different in the US.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

While I don't doubt you guys, I knew I read it somewhere. Here's a link to an article that not only says it has it, they call it unified braking system but they describe how it works. Scroll down to chassis/suspension.        http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2015/2015-Yamaha-FJ09.htm

Very interesting ttownfj09. I read that as well. I also saw a post "somewhere" that said ABS was front only. I know there is rear ABS (in addition to front), because I see the plumbing, as pictured below.

CWxAO10.jpg

I know it may be wishful thinking, but do we know for sure the North America spec FJ-09 does not have cross linked brakes?
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

I don't know, the article that I posted a link to was very thorough in its info. I'm sure they could be wrong or maybe its not on USA bikes, I don't know but I would like to find out. I also saw it in another review but I haven't been able to find that one yet.

The topic is cross linked brakes. Did you look at the article that I posted a link to that says the FJ 09 has them. I'm not saying its right but it is in their review.

Guest bmidd
The topic is cross linked brakes. Did you look at the article that I posted a link to that says the FJ 09 has them. I'm not saying its right but it is in their review.
I did. And I responded.  

They don't. They are wrong. Call your dealer.

So the article is just wrong or is it not talking about a USA spec bike. In your previous post you commented on the rear brake has ABS which wasn't my question. If you don't want to speculate about why the article says it does , fine just don't tell me to call my dealer. I asked this question on a forum where I thought there might be some discussion about what I thought was a legitimate question.  

• Premium Member
When I was researching this bike I read somewhere on the internet that this bike has ABS and cross linked brakes. Now that I have the bike I wanted to read up on the cross linked brakes and I can't find anything on the internet or in the manual. Am I going nuts or does it really have cross linked brakes. And if anyone can give me the lowdown on how they work I would be grateful, heck I'm just happy to have ABS.
Your research is flawed.

The source you quote is a poorly constructed website that seems to be based in Canada. At the end of the article the author lists the specs of bikes across the world and seems to claim the US bike has a different brake specification to the Canadian model. The author is wrong and if he or she had done some proper research, like you could do, checking the manufacturer's website in the various markets then the correct specification would be found quite easily. The author has not only got the bit about linked brakes wrong but seems to suggest there is ABS on the front only. 

As another poster, @bmidd has said, there is not a lot more to discuss as the article you reference is clearly discredited. As he suggests, move on, and don't get all stroppy when someone posits an alternative view. 

• Premium Member
So the article is just wrong or is it not talking about a USA spec bike. In your previous post you commented on the rear brake has ABS which wasn't my question. If you don't want to speculate about why the article says it does , fine just don't tell me to call my dealer. I asked this question on a forum where I thought there might be some discussion about what I thought was a legitimate question.  
The article is just wrong, the FJ-09 does not have linked brakes.  Not in the US version or any other. 
It's possible the author confused it with one or another of Yamaha's other bikes, like the 2015 Super Tenere that others mentioned.  Some side-by-side comparisons with the SuperTen mention this difference.  That site has entries for every one of Yamaha's current bikes, it could easily have been a transcription error.  Mistakes happen.

If you'd like confirmation, you can go read Yamaha's literature.  Here's their blurb about the SuperTen's brakes:

"Super Ténéré ES has both an Antilock Braking System (ABS) and Unified Braking System (UBS)."

versus the FJ-09's:

"Anti-lock brakes work to help prevent wheel lock during braking."

Yamaha considers the technology a selling point and consistently mentions it on every bike that has it.  Here it is for the R-1, for instance:

"The 2015 R1M is fully equipped with banking-sensitive Traction Control, as well as Slide Control, Anti-Wheelie Control, Quickshifter, Launch Control, ABS, a Unified Braking System, and much more."

and the FJR:

"Standard equipment Unified Braking System with ABS: The front brake lever activates six of the eight front braking pistons; the rear brake pedal activates two rear pistons and the other two front pistons — provides balanced anti-lock braking in all conditions."

So, no, no linked brakes, according to Yamaha.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived