What is your hot weather riding gear?

Cruizin

My hot weather riding gear is the same stuff I use year round. The jacket has a waterproof and warm liner. It's been over a 100* this month but with the arm, chest and back vents open it's comfortable.

Rev'it Sands Jacket
REVIT-Sand-Jacket.jpg

Klim pants (I forget the model, but they're offroad with mesh in the crotch area)

Dianese 4 Stroke Evo gloves
dainese4_stroke_evo_gloves_black_black_black_zoom.jpg

• Premium Member
For normal southern Arizona summer heat (95 to 105 or so), I use either a T-shirt plus a pair of LDComfort sleeves or an LDComfort long sleeve/high collar shirt. Over that, I'll wear my First Gear TPG coat. This is NOT a mesh coat; it's a vented one. I'll pour water down into the sleeves of the jacket at the wrists (and sometimes down the neck of the jacket if I'm wearing the LDComfort shirts) and open the jacket's wrist vents for air flow. If it gets really hot (110+), I'll add an evaporative vest under the jacket. None of this works too well if the humidity climbs much over 50%, but up till then it's fine.

I usually keep a gallon jug of water in a side bag during the summer months.

In summer I wear the RoadGear mesh gloves because they aren't as tight around my hands as most other gloves. I'll wet them down for a little extra shot of cooling sometimes. The only thing with the RoadGear gloves is that they're black - not the best summertime color...
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Motoport.
But...I ride in SE Arizona and sometimes wear a Tourmaster mesh jacket with armor and my fingers crossed. When it's consistently 90-110 daily for 5 months nothing really works too well. It's your tolerance to heat that let's you ride or not.

Motoport. But...I ride in SE Arizona and sometimes wear a Tourmaster mesh jacket with armor and my fingers crossed. When it's consistently 90-110 daily for 5 months nothing really works too well. It's your tolerance to heat that let's you ride or not.
This is the comparison I've been looking for before pulling the trigger on a Motoport.

Is there a difference in overall comfort (fit), temperature comfort, and convenience? I understand the theory behind the difference in protection (not sure if it really makes a difference in practice).

Motoport. But...I ride in SE Arizona and sometimes wear a Tourmaster mesh jacket with armor and my fingers crossed. When it's consistently 90-110 daily for 5 months nothing really works too well. It's your tolerance to heat that let's you ride or not.
This is the comparison I've been looking for before pulling the trigger on a Motoport.  
Is there a difference in overall comfort (fit), temperature comfort, and convenience? I understand the theory behind the difference in protection (not sure if it really makes a difference in practice).
Motoport is custom fit both jacket and pants. So that beats off the rack right there for most of us. A proper fit with comprehensive armor is theoretically and practically ideal for minimizing injury. The materials they use as I understand it are some of the best you can utilize for the protection we require for the type of accidents we will encounter. The options for material (Kevlar mesh or Stretch Kevlar) armor, zippers, vents, pockets, collars, etc. etc. are numerous and they will customize to suit you. I had a 3" wide mesh panel that zips onto the front zipper for added air flow on my stretch Kevlar jacket. I will not ride without their stretch Kevlar pants. Any weather any distance. Armor from hip to ankle. The jacket I use in cooler weather and on road trips. I am saving for the mesh 'shirt' they make. My $100 mesh jacket is arguably laughable in comparison but far better than a t-shirt when riding locally in extreme heat. I also have a Vanson leather and mesh jacket that has decent protection but it doesn't flow enough air. Thanks for giving me the opening to praise Motoport's many good features. Their price for a custom jacket starts at around $450 I think. In my opinion $1000 for some of the best riding gear you can own to help you survive a fall and slide is cheap insurance. I work in a level one trauma center. I'm no oracle and I know I'm sounding pedantic. It is simply very good gear for our sport. There is a long Motoport thread on ADV Rider and if you Google Motoport I believe you will find lot's of first hand reports about what I have stated. Use your imagination when thinking about what you want your gear to do for you, how it should fit and what modifications to suit your style of riding and weather you will typically encounter. 

• Premium Member
You reminded me of this guy: 
http://www.longhaulpaul.com/ms5000/

I met him at a moto show in Boston last winter.  He has multiple sclerosis, like my wife.  Hot weather just wipes you out if you have that disease, but he wanted to keep riding no matter what so he had a custom cooling system built that runs coolant through a vest from a pump/compressor on the back of the bike.  It's quite sophisticated.  Apparently they're going to try to commercialize that; I could see a market in Arizona :-).

When I was riding through the California Central Valley in 110-115F heat last fall I filled a camelback with ice and water.  Cold water on demand makes an incredible difference and the cold on your back doesn't hurt either, although it doesn't really carry through the spine protector so much.  It worked well enough that I wasn't too bad despite riding for several hundred miles.  A friend mentioned that you can put the camelback under your jacket and the ice will help keep you cool, although I haven't tried that yet.  I'm not sure my jacket would still fit with the camelback inside anyway, but perhaps if you did it a lot you could just get a bigger jacket.

Now that hot weather is here again I've been thinking of making a shirt with pockets for tubes or sacks running down the chest and/or sides, or maybe just hung around my neck or strapped near my kidneys, that I can fill with ice.  A couple of those jogger-size camelback bladders might be about the right size and easily sourced at most sporting goods stores.  I figure that you can find ice a-plenty at many gas stations, easy enough to refill when you refuel.  That would be cheap and simple without much to break.  What's more, it would work even better with a full protection suit than it would with mesh -- cool AND safe.

A middle-tech solution I've thought about, but probably won't try just because it's not that hot for that long around here, would use one of those ice water pump systems they used to use for keeping knees and shoulders cool after surgery.  I believe those have been pulled from the market because too many people got frostbite, but you can probably still find them on eBay, or alternatively you could build your own using e.g. a fish tank pump.  Pump ice water from a cooler strapped to the pillion seat through tubing stitched into a shirt or vest and connected to the pump with quick disconnect valves.  You can run a few different circuits to get all-over cooling and to level the cooling effect.  You don't need to flow a lot of water so you don't need a pump that draws that much power, surely less than a heated vest uses.  Perhaps build a thermostat from a simple timing circuit; flow cold for 'n' minutes, idle for 'n' minutes, repeat.  Voila, you've got yourself a personal cooling system for maybe a couple of hundred bucks.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

How do you like the fit of the Revit line?  I am riding with a Cortech VRX that I find very comfortable and reasonably priced but still a bit warm, been looking at the GX Air Mesh.  It is only getting warmer.... 

Cortech VRX

cortech_vrx_jacket_detail.jpg

The fit of the Revit line sucks.  It is european sized which makes it not fit so great, pants specially. I normally wear a large but had to go XL on Revit, and those are waaayy too long.  Same with Jackets. I had to stay with large and even though I like motorcycle gear to be somewhat tight, it did not feel comfortable on a bike. The Cortech you showed is one of what I plan to go try on this Saturday.

• Premium Member
@cbr600 Thanks for the candid feed back. I wear an XL to XXL, if it is to snug in fit, I will probably never wear it. I got the VRX at my local store with an additional 15% off earlier in the season should be able to find it around 150-160ish.

Yesterday I went mesh jacket shopping and the local store had a big line of Revit gear. The models that actually number the sizes are not that bad. I tried the Tornado series of mesh jackets and it had a decent fit (not as good as Firstgear, Cortech, Alpinestar, or others). I did not buy the jacket because of the neck flap. I really don't get the high neck on summer jackets. Also having trouble convincing myself to spend $300+ on a mesh jacket (Motoport being the exception given the protection they provide). Still waiting to find a Klim my size.

• 3 weeks later...