Anyone safety wire the oil drain bolt?

sandman900

As long as I'm doing an oil change, I'd like peace of mind and safety wire the factory oil drain (along with new crush washer). I already safety wire my oil filter with a hose clamp around it's circumference. I don't like or trust aftermarket drilled alloy race bolts- anyone else do this?

I did this on my track bikes.  Clamped the bolt into a vise, then carefully and slowly drilled through the head from one face to the opposite side.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

4 hours ago, sandman900 said:

As long as I'm doing an oil change, I'd like peace of mind and safety wire the factory oil drain (along with new crush washer). I already safety wire my oil filter with a hose clamp around it's circumference. I don't like or trust aftermarket drilled alloy race bolts- anyone else do this?

There's no need, a properly tightened bolt isn't going anywhere. But no harm in doing it if you want to.

• Thumbsup 1

I have NEVER replaced the crush washer on a single drain bolt of any motorcycle I have owned, nor have I safety wired anything..........so far so good, but do what makes you sleep better at night. :) 

• Thumbsup 2

12 hours ago, betoney said:

@Smokamoto  How is your bike so damn clean?  Mine looked like that for the first 15 minutes of ownership and then never again. 

Those clean and dry Cali roads I'd have to imagine.....yeah that looks like new. 

• Thumbsup 2

On 12/11/2023 at 12:24 PM, Ride365 said:

I have NEVER replaced the crush washer on a single drain bolt of any motorcycle I have owned, nor have I safety wired anything..........so far so good, but do what makes you sleep better at night. :) 

Same here