Yamaha vs Puig touring windscreens

Tried to search existing threads but got an error. 
Please comment or point to an existing discussion. 

Anyone have experience with both the Yamaha and Puig touring windscreens? Or is there a commonly known version that is most popular? Would want one that bolts to existing mount  

Or an attachment? Don’t want one that will fly into my face at high speed.  😮

2022 Tracer 9 gt. Wind noise is atrocious. Even with earplugs. 
Goal is least wind noise. 

Thank you. 

• Supporting Member

This form has two search boxes. One for the thread you may be viewing and one in the top right corner that searches the whole forum.

Try this.....

26 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

This form has two search boxes. One for the thread you may be viewing and one in the top right corner that searches the whole forum.

Try this.....

Fabulous thank you. 

17 hours ago, T9 Jeffrey said:

Anyone have experience with both the Yamaha and Puig touring windscreens? Or is there a commonly known version that is most popular? Would want one that bolts to existing mount  

Thank you. 

I have a 2022 T9GT and wound up buying an MRA Sport for summer riding and an MRA Touring Vario for winter riding.  I didn't want to spend that much money on screens as the MRA screens are not cheap but I am glad I did.  My biggest issue was buffeting.  The wind noise does not bother me that much.  With the MRA Sport in the low position you get completely clean air with basically no buffeting.  With the MRA Touring Vario installed and the deflector adjusted properly, buffeting is reduced by 80 to 90%.  Very good.  You do still get wind noise with both screens but it is not obnoxious.  

I have owned Puig screens in the past and they are good but the MRA seem to get the nod for the Tracer.  I know this does not answer your question directly but maybe gives some insight.

I use the stock screen in the middle position and have an aerodynamic helmet that solves the buffeting issue. The air goes right up to where my helmet is.  The only wind is from the sides of the screen but it's no worse than riding a naked.  I'm 5'9".

What kind of helmet?  I finally gave up and bought the MRA Touring Vario. 
None of them are perfect but it is the best I have used.  Motorcycles are always a compromise.

6 hours ago, tgas said:

I have a 2022 T9GT and wound up buying an MRA Sport for summer riding and an MRA Touring Vario for winter riding.  I didn't want to spend that much money on screens as the MRA screens are not cheap but I am glad I did.  My biggest issue was buffeting.  The wind noise does not bother me that much.  With the MRA Sport in the low position you get completely clean air with basically no buffeting.  With the MRA Touring Vario installed and the deflector adjusted properly, buffeting is reduced by 80 to 90%.  Very good.  You do still get wind noise with both screens but it is not obnoxious.  

I have owned Puig screens in the past and they are good but the MRA seem to get the nod for the Tracer.  I know this does not answer your question directly but maybe gives some insight.

Thanks, am now looking at the MRA. Good reviews youtube etc. Thick plastic looks sturdy. Also attractive shape for this bike. 
Like the increased adjustability. 
Seems like it will greatly reduce wind noise. 

I have a new Shoei helmet, not sure which model but not cheap. The noise at any speed over 45mph includes a sort of popping sound that I can feel in my eardrums. Like someone lightly boxing my ears. 
Annoying even with plugs. 
intolerable without.
Screen height adjusting does little to change the effect. I’m 5’ 11”. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, tgas said:

Did you get the clear or smoke version of the MRA? 
If smoke, does it reduce through-screen visibility at night, especially through both the screen and deflector when retracted?

Edited by T9 Jeffrey
Reword

2 hours ago, T9 Jeffrey said:

Thanks, am now looking at the MRA. Good reviews youtube etc. Thick plastic looks sturdy. Also attractive shape for this bike. 
Like the increased adjustability. 
Seems like it will greatly reduce wind noise. 

I have a new Shoei helmet, not sure which model but not cheap. The noise at any speed over 45mph includes a sort of popping sound that I can feel in my eardrums. Like someone lightly boxing my ears. 
Annoying even with plugs. 
intolerable without.
Screen height adjusting does little to change the effect. I’m 5’ 11”. 

I understand.

1 hour ago, T9 Jeffrey said:

Did you get the clear or smoke version of the MRA? 
If smoke, does it reduce through-screen visibility at night, especially through both the screen and deflector when retracted?

I got the smoke version of the Sport screen but I got the clear version of the Touring Vario.
I don't do much night riding so I really can't say for sure if you get the smoked version.
I would not think it would make a huge difference.  Also, you are still looking over the screen (even the Touring Vario version)  So just get the color you want.  They are good screens.

• Supporting Member
On 1/3/2024 at 12:08 PM, T9 Jeffrey said:

Thank you. 

In my experience the wind noise reduces significantly the smaller the screen gets.  The screen causes the turbulence and noise, thats why naked bikes have no wind buffeting or aggressive noise, you get wind but its smooth.  Take the screen off and go for a ride and see how smooth the air is.

The wind noise/terrible screen has plagued the bike since it was introduced in 2015, I finally put on a small flyscreen and dress appropriately in colder weather.  I also use a Shoei helmet and have zero issues with turbulence or wind noise riding all day long on week long road trips.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***