MITYVAC Silverline Elite

• Supporting Member

Thinking of getting a Mityvac to add to the tool chest.

I see that there are a couple of options out there.  Is it worth plumping for the switchable vacuum/pressure version?  It's quite a few more shekels over the vacuum version so....??

Opinions/knowledge from the experienced is most welcome.

• Premium Member

I'd not bother. What do you need positive pressure for that you can't get from even a battery* operated air compressor?

*Which IMO aren't worth the money versus a portable one that connects to your bikes battery.

I've had MityVacs for 30+ years and their ilk.  Harbor Freight has had a really nice brass unit that was less that the MV before Covid.  Now HF junk $ have gone through the roof.

Shop around for a vacuum only MV with of course the gauge. 

See 3 responses for 1 😁

• Thanks 1

I'll go the other way..... save yer money.  I've had mixed results with vac bleeders and have no problems bleeding the old fashioned way, just pump the lever.  Cheap and easy!  Well, add speedbleeders........

• Thumbsup 1

Skip the plastic-bodied Mityvac. They're unmitigated junk.

The brass HF pump lasts far longer, and it's only $25.

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-63391.html?_br_psugg_q=vacuum+pump

HF also sells a metal bodied vac/pressure pump under the "Maddox" brand name that looks pretty dang nice.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-vacuumpressure-hand-pump-kit-56803.html

Coupla things:

- Immediately wrap the gauge in clear tape. The gauges on these things, all of them, are ridiculously delicate. Yes, you WILL drop it. Many times.

- If you're bleeding brakes, get a large plastic fuel filter, something intended for a lawn tractor or similar, and install it inline between the catch cup and the pump. This will filter out any particles entering the pump (there's sometimes a lot of crap in those bleeder screws), it'll give you a little more vacuum reservoir, and it'll give you another second or two to react when the cup falls over before the pump starts slurping up brake fluid and ruins the seals.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bwringer said:

Skip the plastic-bodied Mityvac. They're unmitigated junk.\

au contraire mon frere, ONE OF MINE LASTED 15 YEARS THE SECOND GOING ON 10...

The brass HF pump lasts far longer, and it's only $25.

https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-63391.html?_br_psugg_q=vacuum+pump

THAT'S WHAT I HAVE

HF also sells a metal bodied vac/pressure pump under the "Maddox" brand name that looks pretty dang nice.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-vacuumpressure-hand-pump-kit-56803.html

AS I SAID, PRICEY AND THEN WHY?

Coupla things:

- Immediately wrap the gauge in clear tape. The gauges on these things, all of them, are ridiculously delicate. Yes, you WILL drop it. Many times.

I WRAP WITH SARAN WRAP JUST TO KEEP FLUID FROM DAMAGING THE LENS

- If you're bleeding brakes, get a large plastic fuel filter, something intended for a lawn tractor or similar, and install it inline between the catch cup and the pump. This will filter out any particles entering the pump (there's sometimes a lot of crap in those bleeder screws), it'll give you a little more vacuum reservoir, and it'll give you another second or two to react when the cup falls over before the pump starts slurping up brake fluid and ruins the seals.

INTERESTING IDEA ABOUT THE FUEL FILTER; THOUGH THE GLYCOL FLUID MAY DISOLVE THE ADHESIVE THAT HOLDS THE FILTER MEDIA TOGETHER AND IN-PLACE.

ON THE FEW OCCASIONS MINE'S SUCKED BRAKE FLUID, I'VE RINSED WITH SOAPY WATER AND FLUSHED IT WITH CRC 2-26 PLASTIC-SAFE LUBE; WHICH IS GREAT STUFF AS IS THEIR QD CONTACT CLEANER.  CRC SP400 IS AN AMBER-COLORED BUT STINKY (WEAR A FACE MASK WHEN SPRAYING IT) FILM-FORMING PROTECTORANT THAT WORKS GREAT ON ANY METAL AND OTHER SURFACES SUBJECT TO CORROSION OR STAINING, AND IS REMOVED EASILY WITH MINERAL SPIRITS.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-CRCX-2-26-XMulti-Purpose-Lubricant-x-5-oz-02004/100398344

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-QD-11-oz-Contact-Cleaner-02130-6/202262505

https://www.crcindustries.com/sp-400-8482-corrosion-inhibitor-10-wt-oz/

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/crc-sp-400/?s=crc-sp-400

AND NO I DO NOT HAVE STOCK IN CRC

• Supporting Member

Hmmm, you are all not selling me on the Mityvac!

But that's OK, as I've asked for your honest reviews and experiences.

Thanks for the responses and tips. 👍

2 hours ago, bwringer said:

We don't have Harbor Freight stores in the land down under, however, thanks for the tip as I found what suspiciously looks like the very same/similar device on the bay of fleas for a miserly $21 AU !

Might be worth giving that one a go, at that price, given the less than glowing responses for a vacuum pump here.

Harbor freight version: -

image.png.11b584182dcc0472c7a07c2d1805f35c.png

Fleabay version: -

image.thumb.png.cb2dcb1a7b74f81c0ddb6c61c3062407.png

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

There are some tricks you learn vacuum bleeding but it's really just the reverse if you're pumping the lever which in my opinion doesn't make sense when the Piston gets into the foul end of the bore where all the crap lives and the seals can get torn

• Supporting Member

@2and3cylindersHey 2and3.  I just noticed that you've been elevated into the lofty heights of a moderator!... or have I just not seen the badge.

Now the only questions is - will you use your power for good or the other one?   👼 😈 😉😄

• Supporting Member

I got one of these a few years ago, and like it:

image.png.171f4504b289695b6ba99dc3ad8c760c.png

Add compressed air, squeeze the handle down to create a venturi effect, and in about 30 seconds shlurp, you're done.  Next valve.

It wasn't cheap, but it is FAST.  I can flush a car / truck in about 1/2 an hour - all in - if I'm generous by 2x assuming rounded off bleed valves or something.  Otherwise it's a job of minutes.

I have used a squeeze-grip style too, nothing wrong with them at all.  Whatever makes the collection easy and fast - that's what I'm after.  I looked at Mityvacs too, but they seemed overengineered? somehow.

The FJ is due this spring, now that I think of it...

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

My mityvac lasted about 2 times before it just went to crap. I switched to a power bleeder setup with a bunch of different cap sizes and have been happy minus the cleaning of the container between uses but meh.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Thinking of getting a Mityvac to add to the tool chest.

Opinions/knowledge from the experienced is most welcome.

Depending on what you are needing the tool for, a vacuum pump might be overkill.  If you are just doing a routine fluid flush (I do both bikes annually on January 1st simply as a reference point) all you need is a bleeder with a check valve and some clear tubing.  I have used this simple Hydraulic Brake Bleeder for many years.  I hook it up to the brake bleeder and pump 3 full reservoirs full of fresh fluid through and done - single-handedly.  Both front and back complete in minutes.

Now if you have completely emptied the fluid or are replacing the lines onto an empty system then it is easier to get the fluid moving with a vacuum pump but for a simple flush, your master cylinder is already a pump, just squeeze the lever or press the pedal.  

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, knyte said:

I got one of these a few years ago, and like it:

image.png.171f4504b289695b6ba99dc3ad8c760c.png

Add compressed air, squeeze the handle down to create a venturi effect, and in about 30 seconds shlurp, you're done.  Next valve.

It wasn't cheap, but it is FAST.  I can flush a car / truck in about 1/2 an hour - all in - if I'm generous by 2x assuming rounded off bleed valves or something.  Otherwise it's a job of minutes.

I have used a squeeze-grip style too, nothing wrong with them at all.  Whatever makes the collection easy and fast - that's what I'm after.  I looked at Mityvacs too, but they seemed overengineered? somehow.

The FJ is due this spring, now that I think of it...

I actually have something similar (a cheapie) and it works but my compressor is a small one and it takes no time at all for the air to disappear.  Maybe I should be thinking about getting a bigger compressor rather than a vacuum pump?!

6 hours ago, betoney said:

Depending on what you are needing the tool for, a vacuum pump might be overkill.  If you are just doing a routine fluid flush (I do both bikes annually on January 1st simply as a reference point) all you need is a bleeder with a check valve and some clear tubing.  I have used this simple Hydraulic Brake Bleeder for many years.  I hook it up to the brake bleeder and pump 3 full reservoirs full of fresh fluid through and done - single-handedly.  Both front and back complete in minutes.

Now if you have completely emptied the fluid or are replacing the lines onto an empty system then it is easier to get the fluid moving with a vacuum pump but for a simple flush, your master cylinder is already a pump, just squeeze the lever or press the pedal.  

I like the idea of that simple tool.  Minimalistic device that does apparently does the job.  No going backwards and forwards opening and closing the nipple. Check valve takes care of that for you!  Simple.   Yes, I do like that idea.

• Thumbsup 2

My MityVac has been collecting dust for 15 years. I won it at a bike rally. I used it once and didnt like it. I just finished flushing the front brakes on my Multistrada with my  Motion Pro bleeder that looks just like the one betoney linked. Took about 5 minutes. Takes about 20 minutes for the four calipers on my van.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Again if you're pumping the lever which in my opinion doesn't make sense when the Piston gets into the foul end of the bore where all the crap lives and the seals can get torn😎