KN air filter (YA-8514) maintenance

• Supporting Member

Just bought a KN air filter in prep for the next upcoming service.

Out of curiosity, what do those who have them use to clean and re-oil?  I know that there is the KN oil in a can for the job and am happy to use but I'm sure there are other options?

Capture.PNG.5ca3c114a2f069dd0a02b94253546c8a.PNG

• Supporting Member

I use the K&N filters in all of my bikes as well as my truck and have always used their maintenance products.  They sell several different types of bottle or container types for both the cleaner and oil, I personally prefer the Trigger Sprayer for the cleaner and Aerosol Can for the oil. 

The filter in my truck stays relatively clean but I clean the filters in the bikes about every 5,000 miles and am always amazed at how filthy they can get in that mileage.  After using the spray cleaner I wash the filter in a utility sink and it looks like brown, dirty water flushing out of the filter, not to mention all of the bugs that get stuck in the filter pleats.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, betoney said:

I use the K&N filters in all of my bikes as well as my truck and have always used their maintenance products.  They sell several different types of bottle or container types for both the cleaner and oil, I personally prefer the Trigger Sprayer for the cleaner and Aerosol Can for the oil. 

The filter in my truck stays relatively clean but I clean the filters in the bikes about every 5,000 miles and am always amazed at how filthy they can get in that mileage.  After using the spray cleaner I wash the filter in a utility sink and it looks like brown, dirty water flushing out of the filter, not to mention all of the bugs that get stuck in the filter pleats.

Thanks for the real world experience feedback.

I guess it's a matter of - if it ain't broke, don't fix/change it.  On reflection and as per your experience, I'll stick with the recommended products I'm now thinking.

Their claim of up to 75,000 miles between cleaning seems a bit of a stretch - given your experience!

Cheers Brian and thanks again. 👍

• Like 1

• Premium Member

As I've stated before, you can wash, dry and oil the OEM paper filter as well.

Dawn dish soap, a tooth brush, gentle compressed air, and K&N filter oil.

2 Clean & lubes, maybe 3 if youre really careful is the limit...

On 2/3/2024 at 5:17 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

As I've stated before, you can wash, dry and oil the OEM paper filter as well.

Dawn dish soap, a tooth brush, gentle compressed air, and K&N filter oil.

2 Clean & lubes, maybe 3 if youre really careful is the limit...

I actually did not know this, or I have forgotten about it. 

I used to be big on K&N filters, and have read a lot of flame wars about K&Ns vs factory filters over the years. Most detractors argue that while the the K&Ns do flow a crap ton of air compared to stock, it also allows more dust to pass thru. Continued to use K&N filters even though I've always had a nagging suspicion that they may be right.

When the FJR1300 and Hayabusa were replaced by the Tracer and MT-10 respectively, I have elected to stay with factory filters on the latter bikes.

• Thumbsup 1

I wouldn't install a K&N air filter in my motorcycle were it free, but they do filter quite well like the OEM once they are dirty......I will stick with the OEM as well, but of course to each their own. :) 

• Supporting Member

I found this piece here an interesting read. No relevance to the maintenance aspect of the filter... and for that I apologize. 😛

Sounds like you already have it in hand... so might as well give it a go. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

I can only find a NZ link on my phone at the moment, but I snagged a GYTR hi-flow & washable filter last spring:

https://shop.yamaha-motor.co.nz/accessories/road/road/maximum-torque/mt-09/1rc-e41d0-v0

For all my K&N filters in my SUV and pickup, I've been using K&N recharge kits.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Warchild said:

I used to be big on K&N filters, and have read a lot of flame wars about K&Ns vs factory filters over the years. 

7 hours ago, piotrek said:

I found this piece here an interesting read. No relevance to the maintenance aspect of the filter... and for that I apologize. 😛

Sounds like you already have it in hand... so might as well give it a go. 🙂

I too have felt the heat (as an observer) of several flame threads on this subject before taking the plunge.

There are sooo many claims and counterclaims both praising and debunking both sides of the arguments that you get to the stage of who DO you believe!  A bit like some politicians - who shall remain nameless.  But there are countless numbers of people who still 'buy their product'! 😏

And yes, I've even read where 'empirical evidence' is challenged because the writer believes that the tests were done in a way that doesn't represent real world use and give their own empirical data so..... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.

In the end, I look at all of the arguments as opinions and we all know about opinions - they're like bum holes - everybody has one.

For me, not being in a dusty environment (because that's one of the negative claims) helped with the decision to buy along with a decent price - which is always tempting.

Either way, I'm reasonably confident that it's a decent filter and, if maintained, will give me years of good service.

Thanks for your inputs. 🙂

• Thumbsup 4

K&N filters aren't my bag (the OEM is $21 and requires no scrubbing, drying, exotic elixirs, or arts and crafts) but if you feel you must, then use the proper K&N cleaner and oil.

So far, no one's beat an OEM filter for fit, performance, convenience and flow. The K&N cleaner and oil aren't exactly cheap, so cost savings are minimal, and you're certainly not saving any time.

Leaving aside what I think of the filtration, I have seen more than one K&N that simply doesn't fit right and lets dirty air through (or even warps or cracks the airbox), and there are a few bikes where the shape of the filter means that a K&N is seriously compromised in filter area and doesn't flow nearly as well. There's a lot of variation in airbox/filter design, and not all K&Ns are well designed or well made.

I have no idea whether the FJ/Tracer version of the K&N suffers from these issues or not, but it's worth watching out for.

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, bwringer said:

Leaving aside what I think of the filtration, I have seen more than one K&N that simply doesn't fit right and lets dirty air through (or even warps or cracks the airbox), and there are a few bikes where the shape of the filter means that a K&N is seriously compromised in filter area and doesn't flow nearly as well. There's a lot of variation in airbox/filter design, and not all K&Ns are well designed or well made.

I have no idea whether the FJ/Tracer version of the K&N suffers from these issues or not, but it's worth watching out for.

Thanks for the heads up.  A poor fitting air filter would be a deal breaker for obvious reasons.

I will note that the manufacturer recommends that a lubricant be applied to the contact points to aid in the installation and sealing process.  I wonder if those that have had problems with sealing read/heed that advice? 🤔 

What, read the instructions! - Reminds me of a decade old advertisement over here. 🤣

image.png.285edb19902e992fea40564d5fc056db.png

I'll report back with my experience after I do the next major service.

• Thumbsup 2