Throttle Cable Lubrication 😡

• Premium Member

This is really a rant because at least I believe for the Gen 1 & 2 throttle cables, the 2 basic types of pressure lubing tools don't work. The Motion Pro 3 piece luber and the Cable Life luber won't attach where they are designed to attach at the throttle tube end of the cables because of the silly plastic end fittings. No way they can fit at their lower TB ends.

Also the rubber sleeve at the throttle tube housing that pairs both halves together makes it extremely difficult to pull out of the way so lube can get dribbled into each Cable and the cable worked back and forth to work the lube down.

The old method of rubber banding a plastic bag at the top and filling it with lube is also hampered by the plastic fittings at the top of each cable.

Having the OEM heated grips also adds more frustration and time to maintenance.

Has anyone come up with a fast, easy and inexpensive means and method to lube the throttle cables?!!!

20240314_120817.jpg

20240314_120728.jpg

20240314_120711.jpg

20240314_120659.jpg

20240314_120757.jpg

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Has anyone come up with a fast, easy and inexpensive means and method to lube the throttle cables?!!!

Yeah, just don't do it. I'm four years in with an extremely lightened return spring. Hasn't changed a bit.

If I had a concern I'd replace the entire cable since it's only 30 bucks.

Edited by kilo3
  • Thumbsup 1

TBH 2&3, I'm in the camp of not believing that these cables need lubrication.

My old VFR ended up with 146,000km when I sold it, never lubricated the cables, never noticed any changes.

I actually have never lubricated throttle cables on any bike I've ever owned (dirt bikes don't count), and when I was younger I use to do serious miles on all my bikes.

They're practically sealed at the top, and not much gets at the end as they are pretty well hidden.

There might be a reason why the lube aids don't work maybe.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I guess I'm old school I remember back in the day you needed to lube them and everybody used dry slide but cable life works okay however you still need to lube the throttle tube on The handlebar which I have my own concoction of silicone, Molly Grease and slickoleum

The latter was designed specifically for Ride by wire hand grips to simulate the amount of friction you get from a cable operated throttle

The clutch cable is not really an issue to lube

On my 100,000 Plus VTR I've been lubing the throttle cables the clutch is hydraulic

The throttle cables do feel smooth now!

I appreciate the input but anyone else have suggestions?

I may pick up that hypodermic injector though similar to the dry slide needle

• Supporting Member

Bret

Since buying my bike brand new my throttle pull always felt heavy or stiff, it was never sticky and always moved open and closed smoothly it was just a heavy effort.  My buddy also has a '15 FJ and we swapped bikes many times and the difference in throttle feel was immediately noticeable, infact I was always surprised how two identical 2015 bikes could feel and ride so differently, it always felt like 2 completely different models.

Over the years I tried different cable lubes including Dri Slide Cable Lube and nothing made any noticeable improvement, the cable pull was still smooth open and closed but took a lot of effort. 

Finally a few years ago I bought new cables and it was like a brand new bike, throttle could easily be opened with just thumb and forefinger.  I haven't had a single issue with it since.  Mine may have had a kink or defect in the cables from the factory??

As @OZVFR mentioned, the throttle housing and cables are essentially a 'closed system' from the top, you would have to put some effort into introducing dirt or contaminants into the cables.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

however you still need to lube the throttle tube on The handlebar which I have my own concoction of silicone, Molly Grease and slickoleum

That's also a thing of the past, most throttle tubes are ptfe and self lubricating, in fact adding a substance will only collect particles then turn whatever grease you have into a fine abrasive.

• Thumbsup 3

Glad to hear that I'm not a delinquent on cable maintenance after all. Before my FJ I had a VFR for over 20 years and never lubed the throttle cables once. It got a little sticky once, but the issue was at the grip, not the cables. 

• Premium Member

I just finished the Spring tension mod, and it's a lot easier know.

Go to 

I had a brand new cable I could have put in and I didn't.

I don't know why I just didn't want to feed new ones through.😆

It is easy enough to do next time, which is now! 

20240315_193855.jpg

20240315_193841.jpg

20240315_193836.jpg

• Thumbsup 1