Searching - and long delays by the website

I'm 'fairly' new on this forum, but I have a problem that may be a problem for anyone else new.

This has happened to me a couple of time, but today set me off.

I entered the forum and put 'gps' in the search field.  It returned zero results.  I added to the search field: 'garmin gps'. 

The screen immediately told me I needed to wait 890 seconds before I could do another search.

WHY??????

What I want to find out is, are there other members that have a 2024 Tracer, and an aftermarket GPS, what kind they have, and how is it mounted.

Why can't I search?

I have experienced similar issues when searching. I think it has to do with using the browser back button and the site trying to avoid attacks via rapid search queries. The configuration may be a bit too conservative (2 searches within 20-30 secs is more likely to be actual users vs DDOS). 

• Supporting Member

Annoying... yes. I am not sure the search results will improve, but the nag screens will disappear when you open your wallet to help keep the lights on. 🙂

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

You will find that there is a difference between searching the whole forum, and searching a thread that you may be in.

More often than not when you get zero results it's because you are in a thread with a different subject to what you are searching.

Be sure the search box shows 'everywhere' and not just 'this topic'.

Searches within any forum have to be rate-limited, and are generally set up so that words three letters and smaller are ignored. Otherwise, bots and legit users would pound your database into dust.

A better option would be to use Google and limit it to this site by using site:www.tracer900.net

So go to Google and type in this:

garmin gps site:www.tracer900.net

Google is semantic, so to oversimplify, it will look for the concept of GPS, and won't get tripped up by the fact that it's a three letter acronym.

You can also look for specific phrases by enclosing the search term in quotes, like so:

"garmin gps" site:www.tracer900.net

The disadvantage, of course, is that you'll only get results that have been indexed. So you probably wouldn't pick up anything from the last few weeks, just Google's last crawl.

Click the "Tools" button on the results page to narrow down by time, or use the advanced search. Switching to image search can be handy, too.

Edited by bwringer