Headlamp Fault Tracer 9

Hi.

I took delivery of a new Tracer 9 GT + last month. I think it is great.

After trying to find a wire with the high beam switched signal (mistakenly at the headlight not high beam light!) I noticed that the headlight is not working!

"All" I did was tap into the headlight wires (individualy) and test for voltage. The headlight fuse (in the main box) is ok. The high beam works. I have a complete circuit (resistance) when checking across the disconected headlight unit. There are no obvious signs of loose connectors.

Any advice  appreciated.

Stuart.

In previous models guys had many problems trying to tap inte the headlamp to add aux lighting. Not sure if later years are the same? You can search the forum for that. here is a place to start...

Sorry about your lights. I can't help with that. I do thank you for posting tho. It came in the perfect time to help save mine. I'm just starting to add some lights to mine and would have probably broke the ECU or the headlights. It has given me something to research.

Good luck on finding a solution.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, The Cheese said:

Sorry about your lights. I can't help with that. I do thank you for posting tho. It came in the perfect time to help save mine. I'm just starting to add some lights to mine and would have probably broke the ECU or the headlights. It has given me something to research.

Good luck on finding a solution.

If you are looking for a switched power source, the bike comes with 3 or 4 spare aux. leads behind the gauges/dash.  They are a key-on 12v power source, I have my GPS, daytime running lights and LED voltmeter wired into mine.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On the 2019-2020 models, the high beam LEDs are triggered by a -12v lead. It seems like a lot of modern LED headlights are triggered that way. If the unit received opposite current, the circuit may not have liked that. Hopefully something isn't fried.

21 hours ago, betoney said:

If you are looking for a switched power source, the bike comes with 3 or 4 spare aux. leads behind the gauges/dash.  They are a key-on 12v power source, I have my GPS, daytime running lights and LED voltmeter wired into mine.

I'm not looking for a switched power source. I am adding an Easter Beaver PC8 to draw power from. I would need a positive trigger for the high beams. So that the Clearwater lights go full power when the high beams are on. I'm looking into this now. I'm aware of the bike calling for high beams by sending a negative signal to the ECU. I just don't know how to overcome it safely. Yet.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, I'll start my own thread when I'm ready. Thanks.

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

On the 2019-2020 models, the high beam LEDs are triggered by a -12v lead. It seems like a lot of modern LED headlights are triggered that way. If the unit received opposite current, the circuit may not have liked that. Hopefully something isn't fried.

The ECM switches internally to signal the LED control unit to fire the high beam. Usually that driver circuit blows in the ECM requiring it to be replaced. 

That is how FJ/MTT/XSR LEDs work. I would assume (always dangerous) the new 9 GT and + are similar, but I’ll have a look at the wiring diagram  

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks all above for replying (I was away for a few days. Not on the bike unfortunately). I wasnt looking for  Aux power, found that left side front fairing, due to previous posts.

Exactly the same as The Cheese above. I am aware of - switch and am preaty sure I only tested with a meter. May be a coincidence, but I doubt it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/12/2024 at 3:03 PM, SJB3000 said:

Yamaha replaced the headlight control unit.

If they covered that under warranty, you should consider yourself extremely fortunate. Because it is difficult to prove/disprove that it failed because of a defect as opposed to you causing a failure. Not finger pointing, just informing.

@SJB3000 Back to your headlamp trigger install, did you find a solution or decide to punt?

-skip

No solution.

I thought I had one from four wires coming out of the bottom of the right hand side of the headlight (as you look at it), but after I put everything back together discovered that it was a +12 v feed that increased to +20 v when the highbeam was on. Havent been able to figure out how to use it. 

In my mind, another 12v “activated” (switched on) circuit is the winner, which used to be something simple like the running lamp side of the front turn signals or the taillight. 

Trouble is they are all going to led as well. If the input side is still 12v before the connector you’re gtg. But if the ECM switches via a CANBUS signal and then fires the light circuit, triggering a relay or any type of module can be dangerous. 

Appreciate the follow-up. 
-Skip