Weird thing going on with my finger

Posted (edited)

I noticed this when I first got the bike out of winter storage about a month ago. At first I thought maybe I got stung by a bug or something. But now it's happening every time I get on the bike. This morning it was just a short 12 minute commute to work.

The issue - My left index finger turns white and feels numb and cold. I get it just on the one finger.

My co-worker thinks I might have Raynaud's Disease. You can read more (and see pictures) at the Mayo Clinic website.

But it's weird that I only get it when on the motorcycle. I spend a lot of time on the indoor peddle bike during the winter - nothing. I spent eight hours gripping a paint brush outside yesterday- nothing.

Anybody else ever suffer from this affliction?

It's kind of an uncomfortable situation. Tolerable on short trips (it takes about 15-30 minutes to go back to normal) but this might be an issue on longer trips.

ds00433_-ds00580_-my01232_im00654_ans7_r

Edited by roadwarrior

Yep, I get this in my toes.

It's the abrupt change in temp (even with mild changes) that triggers it for me.
For example, just a quick walk through morning cold/damp grass in august can do it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

My left index finger turns white and feels numb and cold. I get it just on the one finger.

My co-worker thinks I might have Raynaud's Disease. You can read more (and see pictures) at the Mayo Clinic website.

1 minute ago, kilo3 said:

Yep, I get this in my toes.

It's the abrupt change in temp (even with mild changes) that triggers it for me.
For example, just a quick walk through morning cold/damp grass in august can do it.

My wife has that condition, it looks exactly the same.  It doesn't have to be really cold for it to happen, but her hands will be white and FREEZING.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Go see a doctor? This can be anything from Raynaud's, poor circulation (caused by number of things), vibration sensitivity, or early symptoms of a fatal blood clot; blood flow issues is not something I'd put off getting checked out.

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

My wife has that condition, it looks exactly the same.  It doesn't have to be really cold for it to happen, but her hands will be white and FREEZING.

I think the original poster's picture is the Mayo Clinic image, not of his actual finger so no way to verify until we get an image; also I'm not a doctor, but Raynaud's should affect all digits yeah? - OP only has this issue with one finger, go to the doctor.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

I think I may have experienced something similiar. The question is, should you stop riding because of it, are you doing further damage while continousely riding in varying temperatures?

As a pilot I've spent a lot of time touching freezing aircraft exterior panels on preflights over many winters, and just contributed my numb digits to a sort of frost bite. I wonder if ther could be a connection?

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Lots of things happen to people primarily when riding.

Nerve issues can cause Reynaud's syndrome, they're not sure.

Makes sense riding a mc vs a pedal / push bike.

If you do not feel pain, then lack of feeling and overheating or touching something hot and getting burned is scary.

If you go really fast, you won't notice it...

My bugaboo riding is excruciating in my right hip.  Yes, if I sit too long or lay done and lie funny, yes it aches but it really only kills me riding.  Sometimes as soon as 15 to 20 minutes.  Then I need to stop and get off for 10 minutes, and then I can ride another hour maybe, then I need a break again.  Rinse and repeat, and the time between flare-up intervals get shorter and shorter, and I must closely gage my condition with 100 to 170 miles is my limit.  So I have calculate when to flip-flop and high tail it for home; although it's a crap shoot, as each ride is different.

I know what's needed but your condition is still new, and I've heard of no one injuring themselves keeping after it.

You need to know your limitations and know when to fold em, or at least get the correct help. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Sadly for me, I too am in the Reynaud's syndrome club (diagnosed) which only started last year about this time.

Both hands and feet are affected in my case. Hands more so.

Doesn't have to be that much of a change in temperature and even cool air conditioning can trigger it.

If I can stop it from triggering in the first place then usually all is well.  So, I wear warmer gloves and as mentioned above now tend to run the hand grip heater on low from the get go when it's cooler temps out.

And at the risk of starting a whole other discussion - did anyone say Covid vaccinations??  Not advocating either way mind - just sayin?

However, it would be interesting to see the rate of increase (if any) in these types of autoimmune disorders over recent years.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

Hmmm

Have you checked for studies made under the auspicious of the NIH, Mayo, and or other well recognized medical research institutions?

There's of course a lot of Baloney out there

When you have a bad episode,  does it hurt or do you have numbness and loss of function?

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Hmmm

Have you checked for studies made under the auspicious of the NIH, Mayo, and or other well recognized medical research institutions?

When you have a bad episode,  does it hurt or do you have numbness and loss of function?

Of course and completely agree.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any measure.

Yes, hurts and numbness.  Really uncomfortable and a loss of sensation in the extremities.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Hmmm

Just as much lying/deceiving to the public from touted "trusted sources" as well.......add me to the list of growing people that will NEVER trust those sources again. When you actually know folks that were fine and dandy before they got the shots I shall not name, how can you not ask questions or have concerns? I never got them by the way, nobody in my immediate family did. I am also not a conspiracy theorist, I am a person of science and discovery........which is "slowly" starting to back some wrongly accused conspiracies up. Legions all over the world have compromised immune systems now, so the questions and concerns as to why are very real. Hope y'all suffering from this ailment can get some relief or at minimum keep under control, it doesn't sound pleasant at all.

I don't want anyone to take what I am saying or sharing as truth, take the time and research it for yourself "most still won't, they like to be spoon fed by so called APPROVED trusted sources".......even the NY Times is publishing articles discussing such, the information/data and people affected worldwide is very real. Japan is taking measures against the data they are witnessing as well, and insurance actuaries cannot logically explain the unheard data/statistics they are witnessing. Died suddenly, blood clots, myocarditis, TURBO CANCERS, neurological issues, overall compromised immune systems.....etc. But yeah, not like social media platforms are rampantly censoring people and search engines being manipulated.

I left healthcare last August after working in such for 20 years, the shit I have witnessed for myself and what I have been put through......aren't conspiracies. Good luck in whatever y'all do or believe, but question everything you are told not to question. ;)

• Thumbsup 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replys and concerns everyone.

My particular case is not as extreme as some have described here or in the stock picture I posted.

Today coming into work, just the tip of my finger was affected (picture below). Yesterday, it was discolored white down past the first knuckle.

Again, weird that I didn't have this issue snowmobiling this winter. So either it's a relatively new affliction or something more specific to the bike. 

I'm going to put on fresh grip puppies and hopefully the weather warms up and then see what happens next.

20240506_173432_resized.thumb.jpg.dfc46cda45fa34e753199ebb9aeea229.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1