Has anyone seen this top speed video?

That's all fine and fancy, but that doesn't translate to real life when the bike has to push air out of the way.
Fair, but this is proof for all the people who think the engine doesn't "have enough in it" to hit those speeds. It's a true test that takes out the other variables such as wind speed, resistance, weight, air density, etc.  I'm sure if it was geared down it could go even faster.
But that's my point... once it's on a roller and moving, it doesn't take tons more horsepower to keep it going faster and faster. I have no doubt it's capable of 200mph with the right gearing. The power is there - but the bike isn't capable of doing that kind of speed in the real world - it's carrying the weight and pushing air out of the way that takes the most power. There are plenty of anecdotes out there of bikes that reached its limit because it just didn't have the power to split the atmosphere any faster.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care what the exact top speed is. It is academic as the bike is not a pleasant place to be above an indicated 125mph.
Exactly.  
I'm starting to feel like this thread is kind of pointless. This isn't a super bike; it's purpose isn't to go fast like this. Judging by the instability I've felt as I've pushed through 120mph (which was sure to get exponentially worse), I don't feel comfortable seeing what the bike can do. 

Call it a combination of maturity, desire for personal and public safety, and the experience of having gone this fast more times than I can count on the track (and maybe now and then in public when I was younger and dumber) on the proper type of bike... but to me this thread is kind of useless.

To paraphrase Jeff Goldblum... "Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD."
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I'm new to the forum so this may be covered elsewhere, but my FJ gets a nasty headshake as soon as it gets up to 100 mph. I had a similar issue with my DL1000 that I was able to improve, but not eliminate, with some suspension tweaking. Obviously this isn't a big deal since I ride in the US, but I will be browsing the site to see if there's a history of this issue.

• Premium Member
I'm new to the forum so this may be covered elsewhere, but my FJ gets a nasty headshake as soon as it gets up to 100 mph. I had a similar issue with my DL1000 that I was able to improve, but not eliminate, with some suspension tweaking. Obviously this isn't a big deal since I ride in the US, but I will be browsing the site to see if there's a history of this issue.
yes, thoroughly covered, and yes, I have tuned it out with suspension settings. Check the known issues area. I would offer a link, but I am on my phone at the moment without access to a computer. I find leaning forward at speed helps with stability.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

That's all fine and fancy, but that doesn't translate to real life when the bike has to push air out of the way.
Fair, but this is proof for all the people who think the engine doesn't "have enough in it" to hit those speeds. It's a true test that takes out the other variables such as wind speed, resistance, weight, air density, etc.  I'm sure if it was geared down it could go even faster.
Yeah, ummm, ok.... but any engine that doesn't have to take into account wind, tire friction, etc. could do who knows what kind  of speeds? But what is that worth? Kinda like saying, my FJ -09 will go 300 mph.... on the moon! :)

The point is some were saying "Impossible" this bike will not go that fast... And some were saying yes it will... I hit an "indicated" 150 and it was still pulling. So when you take in the 5% some people are saying "EVERY" FJ09 is off on the speedo then I was actually going 142.5 MPH.....
Based on the fact that it was still pulling very well I would say it would have made the "REAL" 150 mph. I was on a straight road wind was minimal. I know what the bike will do now and it was indeed a little scary doing it. 

Since this thread is so "pointless" to some then I'm sure they will not be chiming in any further. :)

2016 R1
2015 FJ-09-------SOLD
2002 Wr250F
2014 Concours

Hit 137mph today or 221kmh on my original european mt-09 tracer (fj-09).
bike was still pulling when i had to brake, but felt steady as a rock, have 1500km on bike and first service just done.
Love the bike!

have the screen at lowest setting and seat to...
otherwise it would be scary, got some crazy wobbling before i lowered the bike as much as i can, this is the only setting i can have to do speed runs...
have suspension set at 2" sag in front 1" at rear

The point is some were saying "Impossible" this bike will not go that fast... And some were saying yes it will... I hit an "indicated" 150 and it was still pulling. So when you take in the 5% some people are saying "EVERY" FJ09 is off on the speedo then I was actually going 142.5 MPH..... Based on the fact that it was still pulling very well I would say it would have made the "REAL" 150 mph. I was on a straight road wind was minimal. I know what the bike will do now and it was indeed a little scary doing it. 

Since this thread is so "pointless" to some then I'm sure they will not be chiming in any further. :)

Top speed threads are never pointless. Rock on brotha!

• 3 months later...
Does anyone know a closed section of decent road/track in VA where I can check this issue out? Drag strip may be too short for a complete airing out. Bill Scott Raceway in Winchester? Need an FJ09er that's a LEO, so we can check it with a radar gun.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Archived