Anyone adjusted the handlebars?

All of the reviews claim the handlebars can be moved forward, but the manual doesn't explain how. 

I think you just undo the bolts, rotate the mounts 180 degrees and tighten it all back down. Is it that simple? Anyone done it yet?

I feel like moving them forward will lean you forward ever so slightly for a sportier feel. Maybe it's not enough to even notice, but if it's a simple adjustment, what's the harm in trying it?

I've also heard the pegs are adjustable, but I think that article was mistaken. 

1) Remove the tops of the bar mounts.
2) Pull the bar off of the risers.
3) Loosen the nuts under the top triple tree.  I think they are 14mm. I used a ratchet with a long extension.
4) Spin both riser posts 180 degrees.
5) Put the bar back on the risers. there is a mark on the bar to help locate it with the seam at the back of the left riser.
6) Reattach the tops of the bar mounts and tighten all 4 bolts.
7) Tighten the 2 nuts under the triple tree.

This moves the bar 10 mm because the "U" shaped cut-outs in the tops of the risers are off center by 5 mm.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

1) Remove the tops of the bar mounts. 2) Pull the bar off of the risers.
3) Loosen the nuts under the top triple tree.  I think they are 14mm. I used a ratchet with a long extension.
4) Spin both riser posts 180 degrees.
5) Put the bar back on the risers. there is a mark on the bar to help locate it with the seam at the back of the left riser.
6) Reattach the tops of the bar mounts and tighten all 4 bolts.
7) Tighten the 2 nuts under the triple tree.

This moves the bar 10 mm because the "U" shaped cut-outs in the tops of the risers are off center by 5 mm.
@cruizin with this summary, perhaps this should get moved to the garage :)

• Premium Member
I just did this and will write up a procedure complete with pictures and torque values.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I did this tonight. I'll ride it for a week and see how I feel about it. It was a pain to get the bolts loose! Need a long extension and can't get it perfectly straight on the bolt. A fairly simple adjustment, but you need the right tools. I can't remember the size of wrench I used. 14mm was slipping. Are these the only imperial nuts on the bike? ;)

On a on a different note, I'm a two star junior member now! Woohoo! Sense of achievement. 

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure how you adjust the bars, and I was looking at that earlier today as a local dealer got in their 1st FJ. 
You could be correct on the procedure you listed.

I gotta be Da Rebel! I want taller bars that sweep back. Any body know the diameter of stock bars Ttbe clamps
2015 FJ-09 matte gray
2013 Honda CB1100
2004 Triumph T100 Bonneville

Was thinking about doing this to my bike. Seems easy enough with the right tools. Hopefully i will be able to tackle it without too much hassle.
The only issue is that you need a really long extension to reach the nut. You also can't get it quite centered, so it's a bit tricky to get the leverage to loosen it.  

Was thinking about doing this to my bike. Seems easy enough with the right tools. Hopefully i will be able to tackle it without too much hassle.
The only issue is that you need a really long extension to reach the nut. You also can't get it quite centered, so it's a bit tricky to get the leverage to loosen it.
This is fairly easy if you have the right tools.  I used two extensions to lower the ratchet below the head light.  I used a extension with a ball end to allow the socket to rotate just a little and a shallow socket.  Place one hand on the socket bottom to push up on the nut to make sure it is fully on.  Should work.  If you are tall you might want to move the bars forward, but if you are short you might want the bars back is you are touring.  For sport, you might want to move them forward and get a shorter handle bar mount to also lower the bars. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 9 months later...