Considering a FJ to replace my commuter bike

daytrippin

Hi,

I am new here but a long time rider, 40+ years so far. I am not ready for AARP yet but started riding not long after I could walk.

I am here to find out more about the FJ09. It seems like a good all-around package. I really don’t need another bike in the stable but I am losing one to my soon and I am looking for a replacement. The one he is taking is a Honda CTX D model with DCT/ABS.

It has been a great commuter bike and that is what I am looking to use the FJ for. If the FZ came with ABS, it would be a done deal for me already. Since it doesn’t I am exploring the FJ. I am considering another CTX as it has been a great bike, exceptional mileage when commuting and with the DCT tranny I can use it in auto mode or manually shift it. This is great in heavy LA traffic when I can’t easily lane split.

So why wouldn’t I just buy another one of those? For me 3 main reason – want a bit more HP, better range and better suspenders. Can’t easily get more HP out of that motor, can’t make the tank bigger and if I spend $$$ on the suspension, it drives the price up into more serious competition such as the FJ, 1000 Versys, etc.

I have a bike for LD touring, my K1600GT with every option including electronic suspension. For ADV usage I have a 1000cc V-strom that barely resembles what Suzuki pushed out of the factory but ABS wasn’t an option when I bought it. I have a fast v-twin for track days and a few other bikes as well. So losing the CTX puts a hole in my lineup for a good commuter bike. The CTX has been an incredibly capable. I can put 1,000 miles on it in a day with no issues and be quite well rested. Typically I have been putting about 1,500 miles a weekend on it commuting for SoCal to NorCal.

Where it suffers a bit is at high speed, 80+ mph cruising, which is pretty common on the highways here. At that speed it’s exceptional mileage suffers and I am in the high 40’s (US mpg) and the tiny (3 gallon US) tank means I am stopping about every hour to 70 min to refuel. In daily commuting I am in the high 50’s, 60’s on it. It is also at these speeds that its lowly 50HP or so becomes an issue. If you need to squirt ahead of a car on the freeway it just isn’t going to happen. Another 20 HP and it would be fine.

So at this point the FJ looks like a good option. It has a bigger tank (worse mpg) but I should get close to 200 miles on a tank. It has ABS and TCS which I’ve had great luck with on my K1600. The suspension seems decent from what I’ve read. I rode a FZ09 and like the basic package a lot bot the suspension was meh.

So I plan to explore the forum a bit and see if there are any major issues that might keep me from picking one up. It looks like I could go with a bigger screen for better wind coverage. I’d definitely want to put some sort of removable bags so I’ll look for options there. At a minimum a topcase is needed for my commute to work. I don’t like wearing a backpack if I can help it. I have about 3 sets of Givi cases between my other bikes so I if I can get Givi mounts for the FJ I’d have all the luggage space I’d need.

I thought about just using the V-strom to commute but no ABS In LA traffic would not be my preference. If I use the K1600, a minor mishap would cost more in repairs than the entire price of the FJ. So I am leaning toward the FJ but open to other options. I want something that I can ride 400-700 miles at shot, decent seat comfort, wind protection, enough power to be fun and decent place for my wife to ride at times. I need to go at least 160 miles on a tank without it being bone dry while cruising at about 75-80mph. My commute is about 25 miles one way in/through LA into the OC. So I want something fairly nimble, narrow with good acceleration and great brakes. It seems like the FJ might cover most of my requirements.

Any advice, feedback, ideas or other bikes to consider are all welcome and encouraged.

• Premium Member
Only you can decide if it is the right bike - take a demo ride.

To answer the factual questions: yes, you can get 200 miles from a tank if you use fuel without ethanol. In the UK I get the warning light around 170 miles with another 40 in reserve. If the fuel is E10 then you can knock 10-20% off that range, as I experienced in France.

Yes, there are Givi kits for the Tracer/FJ09 - you can get a top box kit, which I use with an E45 box. You can also get 3 versions of side rails: standard, Trekker Outback rails with cams and the special ones for the V35 cases.

I would not want to ride 700 miles on my Tracer in a day. In fact, I don't think I would want to ride 700 miles on your K1600. I have done it in the past, on an R1150GS. It wasn't fun.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Ergonomics are going to be similar to your v-strom, except the foot pegs may be a little further back on the FJ.  I find the FJ pretty comfortable.  Horsepower to weight is going to be the best of any of your current bikes.  Your K1600GT has more horsepower, but is much heavier.  Many people on this site in the the LA area have removed the hand guards to make the bike more narrow to lane split.  Count on upgrading the windshield.  A small percentage of the people that have posted are ok with the windshield, but most feel the wind noise is too loud.  It is much quieter without a windshield.  I chose to go with a touring windshield and an adjustable spoiler on top of the windshield.  Not a bad setup, but I still much prefer ear plugs for the highway.  By all accounts I've seen the suspension is better than the FZ.  I've never ridden an FZ so I can only go by what the internet says.  We all know everything said in the internet is true.  Some still feel the need to upgrade the suspension while others like myself feel it's fine.  Some say the seat is fine, others want an upgrade.  If I did more riding, I would likely upgrade the seat.  I may do it anyway but I'm waiting to see what Sargent releases before I actually buy.  From the sounds of it, this would be a good bike for what you are looking for.

Like wessie said though, go ride one.  That will tell you much more than anyone here can tell you.  If your only goal is a cheap commuter bike, you may look at a Versys 650.  It has a little more HP than the CTX but is 60 lbs lighter.  It can be had with ABS, 5 gal tank and I believe better mpg than the FJ.  Similar things can be said of the v strom 650.  Neither of those bikes are as fast as the FJ though.  The FJ pulls hard all the way up to its 115 mph speed limiter (which can be removed with an ECU flash)

Thanks, the feedback is very helpful. I am trying to find a place where I can test ride. I haven't found a dealer that will do that yet but I'll keep looking. Problem with test rides is you often don't have enough seat time to really get a feel for the bike. A seat thet feels good for the first 30 min could be agonizing after an hour. Not to mention most test rides are on new bikes and the motors aren't broken in so you can't really get on the gas too much. I try not to abuse a bike anyway that somebody else might buy.

I went an looked at one in detail at lunch to get a better feel for it ergonomically. It doesn't feel too bad. The bars are a bit too wide and an odd bend but other than that the rest of the ergos didn't feel bad. If I could find a used one I'd probably go that route and save some $$$. I did find a new one at about $8k + fees + tax. All in it was a bit over $9k ride out. Downside is not very close to me and they only had one left at that price.

Given this is the first year it has been released, there's not a lot on the used market yet. Some are showing up though. $9k otd new is a good deal. I'm assuming that's a 2015. You will have different color options for 2016 models if that's important to you. I'm a pretty big guy and live in Indiana where lane splitting will induce road rage and a hefty ticket so I like the wide bars. It makes the handling very intuitive and predictable as well. I can see it being a concern in LA though.

• Premium Member
I had a BMW K1600GT just prior to getting the FJ. I didn't need a bike for 2-up touring as the wife doesn't ride. If I had, I'd probably still have the GT, but as it was, I just wanted something lighter with plenty of capability and something extra to get the adrenalin going. Enter the FJ.

The GT was a great bike, but I'm much happier on the FJ (after a few mods).

I use my FJ as my daily commuter and love it. Plenty of power, gas mileage, comfort and wind protection (Ermax tall screen with small Xcreen deflector) and I got a killer deal on color matched FJR bags.

I left my handguards on btw and have no issues splitting in and out of San Francisco (it's way tighter here then it is anywhere in LA) so I don't think you'll have any issues.

• Premium Member
So at this point the FJ looks like a good option. It has a bigger tank (worse mpg) but I should get close to 200 miles on a tank. It has ABS and TCS which I’ve had great luck with on my K1600. The suspension seems decent from what I’ve read. I rode a FZ09 and like the basic package a lot bot the suspension was meh.
Compared to the FZ the FJ's suspension is said to be a big improvement. I haven't ridden the FZ, but the FJ's suspension has been decent everywhere but really poor roads.

I regularly go 180 miles on a tank of E10 while commuting. 200 would be a stretch for that, although it will do 200 or a little more with backroads riding.

It looks like I could go with a bigger screen for better wind coverage.
I don't know if it necessarily needs to be bigger, but it definitely needs to be different shape. I'm running with an Ermax sport screen with a Puig visor and that's been fine. The stock screen, which is taller but not as wide, was unbelievably loud.

I have about 3 sets of Givi cases between my other bikes so I if I can get Givi mounts for the FJ I’d have all the luggage space I’d need.
Givi mounts are readily available.

I want something that I can ride 400-700 miles at shot, decent seat comfort, wind protection, enough power to be fun and decent place for my wife to ride at times.
The stock seat might or might not work for you for those kinds of distances. I was ok with it for ~400mi, except that there are a couple of edges in the foam that drove me a bit nuts, and the vinyl caused swamp butt when it was hot. There are several seat options available already though. I've tried two. I reupholstered the stock seat with a Seat Concepts kit and while I liked a lot about it the shape didn't suit me. Currently I run the Yamaha Comfort Seat which is an improvement in almost every respect although the foam could be slightly softer. It's been good enough for multiple 300+ mile days on end though, so....

My daughter thinks it's comfortable enough as a passenger. She used to ride with me on a Daytona 675, though, which is no pillion's idea of a comfortable bike, so anything would be better by comparison. :)

I need to go at least 160 miles on a tank without it being bone dry while cruising at about 75-80mph. ... I want something fairly nimble, narrow with good acceleration and great brakes. It seems like the FJ might cover most of my requirements. 

I don't usually even hit reserve until 160+ miles, no worries at all on that front. Acceleration is quite good. It's extremely nimble. If you lane split a lot you'll probably want to remove the handguards. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Given this is the first year it has been released, there's not a lot on the used market yet. Some are showing up though. $9k otd new is a good deal. I'm assuming that's a 2015. You will have different color options for 2016 models if that's important to you. I'm a pretty big guy and live in Indiana where lane splitting will induce road rage and a hefty ticket so I like the wide bars. It makes the handling very intuitive and predictable as well. I can see it being a concern in LA though.
I have not seen to many used ones get back in the shop for resale, has anyone seen a trend with this?  Again, I am extremely happy with my setup and the performance of my FJ and assume most owners are. 

Chris

I have not seen to many used ones get back in the shop for resale, has anyone seen a trend with this?  Again, I am extremely happy with my setup and the performance of my FJ and assume most owners are. 

Chris

I have seen a few for sale.  A couple members here have purchased used bikes.  A few previous members have also sold their bikes.  Of the 3 that I can think of off the top of my head that sold their bikes, they all moved to much, much more expensive bikes.  One was a HD screaming eagle CVO, one was a BMW R1200GS and one was a BMW S1000XR.   Also, there have been a few used FJs pop up in the bikes for sale section on this forum.  I would not say it is by any means a trend.  It is quite rare so far to see a used FJ for sale.  I was trying to make the point that there weren't very many on the used market yet and that he may have a hard time finding one.  At the same time, people's circumstances change and there is no single bike that fits every person.  In that respect, he might get lucky on the used market.

I just bought one, came from a 2012 V Strom Adventure. The excitement and smiles per mile are vastly improved. If you have a tender bum like I do the seat will be the first thing you replace. I have bought some minor controls and protections fo rthis bike but the next thing will be the suspension. I have ridden bikes where people whined about the suspension and i was all "What?" and then later i fixed up the suspension. I do not see that as a possibility on this bike. The "Fix" from the FZ was to make it feel like your hitting a wall on any squared off hit. I have loosened the suspension as much as I dare and its now somewhat tolerable but this is at the cost of the handling, I"m now not real comfortable whacking the twisties. I have never ridden anything that demands constant adjustments to the suspension for what I'm riding.

So be prepared to drop another 1-2 k into the bike after purchase. Now that I have said that let me say its totally f'in worth it. The bike is amazing and will be brilliant when the suspension and bum cushion is upgraded. Since I bought my bike for 9k I'll be at 10.5 total and have a screaming machine. No other bike can touch that.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Great advice. Thanks to everyone so far. So what is the deal with fitting the FJR bags? Do they fit the factory mounts for the FJ? While I definitely plan to go with luggage, the stock bags seem too small to be of much use to me.

At this point I am negotiating with 2 dealers. The one with the low price sold theirs before I could get a deposit on it. Maybe not a total loss though as I would have had to go a fair ways to pick it up. I would definitely consider a used one if I could find one as well.

Great advice. Thanks to everyone so far. So what is the deal with fitting the FJR bags? Do they fit the factory mounts for the FJ? While I definitely plan to go with luggage, the stock bags seem too small to be of much use to me. 
At this point I am negotiating with 2 dealers. The one with the low price sold theirs before I could get a deposit on it. Maybe not a total loss though as I would have had to go a fair ways to pick it up. I would definitely consider a used one if I could find one as well.

Yea the actual side bags are the exact same as the FJR, the lid is different. You can fit a full size helmet in the FJR bags not so with the smaller FJ version.

• Premium Member
I've gone 200-210 miles on E10 a few times, though that was touring at speeds of 70mph or less. Usually I refuel at 170-180 and there's still s comfortable amount of fuel left.

If you routinely ride above 80mph I think a bigger windshield is mandatory. The stock shield isn't great at any speed, and quite dreadful above 85.

Archived