2015 fj-09 sidebag/topcase suggestions please

I'm about to purchase a 2015 fj09. First bike in many years so excited for sure.
But looking for suggestions on sidebags and topcase.
The dealer is suggesting the yamaha standard black hardcase option. They won't hold a helmet but best fit for the bike and run slimmer than other options.

Shad makes cool options a little larger capacity, but bags are a lititle wider. How big of a deal is this?

I've seen a few posts in  this forum saying the red 2014 fjr1300 bags will match and fit on the fj09.
The dealer says the red is not a solid match, and may not fit the fj09 without modifications.
They won't guarantee these will install correctly or work and if so would be much wider than standard option.

Topcase-I just started checking these out. Any suggestions?  I want it to fit  helmet.

All suggestions  appreciated.

I have a Givi V47nn topcase, and Givi XS308 tank bag. I am waiting for my givi sidecase rack to be delivered next week, at which point I have Givi E41 Keyless Sidebags to install for touring trips.

Givi Sidecase Mount: $154
Givi V47NN: $148
E41 Sidecases (pair): $236
Givi XS308: $97
VH66IZH.jpgQeKiMmf.jpgEOgYWCC.jpgoL5VQ1y.jpgF45qDoe.jpg

• Premium Member
I have bought Givi/Kappa branded stuff direct from Italy where it is made. With the current exchange rate it is much cheaper, for those in the UK & USA.

http://www.accessorimotostore.com/ or there are a number of Ebay vendors, I used outlet Ricambi 

Delivery to the UK takes as little as 3 days via UPS for the first one and a bit longer for the Ebay seller as they use the Italian version of USPS/Royal Mail

My combination is a Givi E45 topbox and Kappa K40N side cases. The K40 can be used as a topbox too. I can just get my Shoei helmet in the K40 but it goes in the E45 easier. When touring, I don't use the topbox with the side cases as 2x K40 is more than ample. You will find reviews with pictures if you search the accessory section. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I can tell you 100% that the 2014 FJR bags match the Lava Red perfectly and they will fit without modification as well if you buy the FJ mounts. The Yamaha mounts are super heavy though, 8 lbs per side plus the crossbrace (maybe 2 lbs) but they are extremely sturdy. There's a link floating around this site for a mount from a French company that mount to the passenger pegs and look much lighter, although I bet they would bend if you dropped the bike.

Width wise, at the widest point (the reflectors on the bottom of the lid) they are only 1/4 inch wider on each side then the stock handguards. The Shad bags look very sharp especially with the carbon fiber look but getting them from Shad USA has been an issue and they don't hug the bike as well as the Fj/FJR bags.

thanks all, its still about $50 more than zachd paid but a better deal than I am seeing in most places.

Outside of the topcase, what else do I need? Im guessing a mount plate and a Yamaha rack but I may be missing something...
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
thanks all, its still about $50 more than zachd paid but a better deal than I am seeing in most places. 
Outside of the topcase, what else do I need? Im guessing a mount plate and a Yamaha rack but I may be missing something...
For a Givi topcase you need a base plate to match the case you buy (Givi make 2 types, monolock and monokey) plus the fitting kit for the bike, which is SR2122 - see my review here http://fj-09.org/thread/734/givi-sr2122-top-box-kit 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I am waiting for my givi sidecase rack to be delivered next week, at which point I have Givi E41 Keyless Sidebags to install for touring trips.
hello, when you put the rack on, can you post some pictures with the E41 on? 
I am in search for sidebags, and E41 is one of the cases i am thinking about.

@toast: Are 2014 FJR bags different from the bags of the previous models?

I am waiting for my givi sidecase rack to be delivered next week, at which point I have Givi E41 Keyless Sidebags to install for touring trips.
hello, when you put the rack on, can you post some pictures with the E41 on? 
I am in search for sidebags, and E41 is one of the cases i am thinking about.

Yes, I will be making a thread with detailed pictures of everything, so everyone can see the entire setup.

Thanks for the info.  The matching red from the 2014 fjr bags looks pretty cool in a few pics I've seen, so if it fits, it seems like a good option.

The Givi e41 cases look good as well, and I like out that top section pops open.

For a few of the guys in this forum leaning that way, or anyone else familliar:

Do you think there any advantages with the Givi e41, over the idea of using the sidebags from the 2014fjr?
Or even the yamaha stock option for the 2015 fj09?

Thanks

Archived