Fixation or Mechanical (Chain/Swingarm) Failure?

ogri

Per the rider: 

I just could not brake (unknown reason) and did not react in the proper way to avoid the crash. Instead of pulling down the motorbike and do the turn I stood straight looking just in the direction I was crashing. Bike and myself flew and roll for about 10 mt and land where the big tree is (you see it just before the video stop). See linked picture
Listening to the audio, the engine seems to rev without a load as the bike steers to the right. Could be an anomaly. From my experience with crashes, it is often hard to remember exactly what happened. 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
The rider has made at least 2 comments admitting an error. I guess he was distracted by the car going around the right hander and turned too late for the left corner so ran out of road
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Listening to the audio, the engine seems to rev without a load as the bike steers to the right. Could be an anomaly. From my experience with crashes, it is often hard to remember exactly what happened.
Not from mine. I watch and listen to the video and see the same classic errors as nearly every other video. Couple that with statements by someone that was there... 

Head-butted a cage once...out of it for 6 weeks...complete memory wipe! :( Explains at lot, I know.... 
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• 1 month later...
That was too bad, I was liking the video. May have touched down with the center stand causing a laps in concentration, with a WTF was that? I did that once, it was enough to distract just long enough to run wide.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
The best example on the boards I frequent is Edward's Corner near the end of The Snake on Mullholland near Los Angeles. Multiple wrecks every weekend. 

Is that the sweeping hairpin visible from the lookout?

• Premium Member
I used to be a regular up there in the early 1990s when I was stationed at Pt. Mugu in the Navy. I don't recall anyone calling it Edward's Curve back then. Someone had painted a big bullseye on the rock at the downhill exit, but I see in the videos that it's long gone.

For a while CHP presence up there was really bad. Some politician's kid killed himself up there, so the CHP actually closed the Snake to motorcycles on weekends for several months in 1990. Even after it reopened they would permanently station 1-2 cars at the lookout every Sunday and they'd cite about 50% of all motorcyclists coming up the road for something. If it wasn't leaning slightly over the centerline or exceeding the speed limit by 2mph, they'd hit us with equipment violations for aftermarket pipes, flush mount turn signals, chopped fenders, you name it. I got hit for the Yoshimura pipes on my Interceptor. It was pretty bad for a while.

This was at the tail end of the "superbike ban" craze where politicians thought any motorcycle with 90hp and full fairings was a death machine.

Archived