Luggage Choices Which hard bags?

I'm getting ready to start negotiating earnestly to buy one of these bikes.  I'm having a tough time deciding on a luggage strategy.

I like the stock Yamaha bags, but I hate that they won't fir a full face helmet.  Then I consider the FJR bags, but I'm not sure any year FJR had bags that have paint that will match the charcoal grey FJ-09?

Do any FJR bags match the grey FJ-09?  I think these bags fit, after installing the factory lower bag mount.

Another option is a set of Shad cases.  Cheaper than Yamaha's bags, and will hold a full face helmet.  I don't think the mounting is quite as clean as the OEM bags, but the bags themselves are more useful, as they hold a helmet.

I would like to figure this out before I buy, so I know if I need to ask for an accessory discount at the time of purchase.

A final option is a set of factory FJ-09 cases, AND the use of a trunk or topcase (though the lawyers advise against it).  In any event, I don't want to own a motorbike with hard luggage that won't hold a helmet in one of the cases,

One of my fellow FJR riders wanted to prevent scuffing of his side cases so he coated the painted "lids" with rubberized nonskid material. It looked fine and, because these coatings come in many colors, you might find one that matches or complements the FJ09 colors.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all! Got to see the FJR bags in action! The salesman liked it so much he called the manager out see and he's leaving the bags on it so others can see. Unfortunately this very nice dealer cannot match the price of another, but I'll likely go there for service.

In the one picture you can see that they're not much wider than the FJ bags. This is what I'm ordering!

nSREAJJ.jpgJdLwh42.jpg

Hey all! Got to see the FJR bags in action! The salesman liked it so much he called the manager out see and he's leaving the bags on it so others can see. Unfortunately this very nice dealer cannot match the price of another, but I'll likely go there for service.  
In the one picture you can see that they're not much wider than the FJ bags. This is what I'm ordering!

http://imgur.com/a/BRjlS

If you drag and drop the imgur pic right into your post, it should display.

From what I understand, the only difference between the FJR and the FJ OEM bags is the lids. This makes up the difference between fitting a helmet of not. I'm going to get the FJ bags, but I'm on the look out for some gently used FJR bags, even if they are scuffed up, so that I can vinyl wrap them to match my gray bike. 3M has some great wrap options and I imagine I can get them wrapped fairly cheaply based on previous work.

I could get them wrapped in gray, carbon fiber, or whatever I want. I don't think it makes sense to buy new bag and get them wrapped, so I'm not going to do that.

Alternately, if I can find just the lids in decent condition, same deal - wrap them and mount them on my FJ bags.

From what I understand, the only difference between the FJR and the FJ OEM bags is the lids. This makes up the difference between fitting a helmet of not. I'm going to get the FJ bags, but I'm on the look out for some gently used FJR bags, even if they are scuffed up, so that I can vinyl wrap them to match my gray bike. 3M has some great wrap options and I imagine I can get them wrapped fairly cheaply based on previous work.  
I could get them wrapped in gray, carbon fiber, or whatever I want. I don't think it makes sense to buy new bag and get them wrapped, so I'm not going to do that.

Alternately, if I can find just the lids in decent condition, same deal - wrap them and mount them on my FJ bags.
You are correct, same base, different lids. From my dealer, it's only $380 more to get new FJR cases instead of the FJ cases. If I were getting the gray bike it would be a different story, but for the color-matched red, $380 is absolutely worth being able to fit 2 helmets!

• Premium Member

JdLwh42.jpg

Hey, it has a pink sticker to match your gear. Go buy it. (rofl) 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
You are correct, same base, different lids. From my dealer, it's only $380 more to get new FJR cases instead of the FJ cases. If I were getting the gray bike it would be a different story, but for the color-matched red, $380 is absolutely worth being able to fit 2 helmets!
Do the red FJR cases match the FJ09 exactly?  If so, that is probably the way I'll go.  I was having trouble deciding on a color and this can make up my mind for me.

Yep! Same exact color on the FJ and FJR. The bags look perfect, and the bike still like amazing even without the bags. Sometimes integrated luggage like that leaves a bike looking silly without them (like the FJR)

Now if I could only get over my fear of dropping 12.5k on a motorcycle and take the plunge myself!

Yep! Same exact color on the FJ and FJR. The bags look perfect, and the bike still like amazing even without the bags. Sometimes integrated luggage like that leaves a bike looking silly without them (like the FJR) 
Now if I could only get over my fear of dropping 12.5k on a motorcycle and take the plunge myself!
IMO.  I think the FJR looks quite complete and exceptional with out the side bags.  Here take a look at this and tell me what bothers you:vQ6i4g5.jpg But then again, you have the right to have a different opinion. IYO.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

The big sport-tourers like that just look so front heavy without the bags to balance out the look. It's not terrible by any means, it's just not appealing to me. That FJR with the bracket caps and pillion cover does complete the look more.

The first time I saw my father-in-law's '98 BMW R1100RT without bags it just looked like it was missing pieces. I feel like when designing the bike, they designed it to work with the standard bags, and removing them just removes some of that.

• Premium Member
The big sport-tourers like that just look so front heavy without the bags to balance out the look. It's not terrible by any means, it's just not appealing to me. That FJR with the bracket caps and pillion cover does complete the look more. 
The first time I saw my father-in-law's '98 BMW R1100RT without bags it just looked like it was missing pieces. I feel like when designing the bike, they designed it to work with the standard bags, and removing them just removes some of that.
I have had my FJR for almost 4 years and have had the bags installed only twice. I love the look without the bags on the FJR. Try doing that with an ST.  
20150125_110915_zpsmxoqcbsf.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest eatpasta
Yeah, im the FJR-is-naked-sans-boxes category. It just looked like a weird sportbike without.
With the bags on its like "hey im haulin' WHILE im haulin'..."

oh and

FJ09-Zega150_zpsd1ddd445.jpg

you cant stop me

Archived