3rd cam chain tensioner update?

Hello guys,I know this is most likely a question that probably can't be answered with certainty. But I have a fj09 manufactured in October of 2014. I'm having the dreaded can chain rattle. Does anyone know if an fj manufactured in October of 2014 would have the 3rd updated tensioner? I'm planning on having it replaced under warranty, but curious if I already have the latest updated tensioner if this might be a continuous issue.

Hello guys,I know this is most likely a question that probably can't be answered with certainty. But I have a fj09 manufactured in October of 2014. I'm having the dreaded can chain rattle. Does anyone know if an fj manufactured in October of 2014 would have the 3rd updated tensioner? I'm planning on having it replaced under warranty, but curious if I already have the latest updated tensioner if this might be a continuous issue.
I would assume if made in Oct of 2014, you have no updates at all.  

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 1 month later...
Did you make the attempt to have Yamaha replace your TCC? I'm thinking they'd only give you the satisfaction of replacement once it fails. Understanding the consequences of it getting to the failure point, I hope they did. Be nice for us to know they took the steps necessary to avoid serious consequences of not doing so.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Mine was also manufactured in late '14.  How loud was your cam chain rattle?  Were you able to hear it while riding (over wind and road noise), or while idling, or both?

My bike gets a bit of what sounds like cam chain rattle (audible clack-clack-clack sound) when I first start it up cold, but it goes away within 30 seconds or so of idling. I think I've also heard it once or twice while actually riding, always in the first 5 mins of riding before the bike warms up.  I'm not too worried about it, just keeping an ear to it, but I'm quite curious about the details of your experience with it...

Mine suffers from the rattle intermittently. Heard it for the first time last week. After a couple of short commute ride it was awful. Then it stopped. Then it came back. Then it stopped again and has been gone now for a couple of days. No point in going to the dealer now. When it's doing it it sure sounds terrible! Guess I'll wait and see what happens next. Gonna ride about 300 miles tomorrow in the mountains so we'll see what happens.

So, I started out with a 2014 FZ09.
It rattled from just about the start, and just got worse.
While I owned the FZ09, guys were trying all sorts of fixes to cure the CCT failure.
Some tried to adjust it. Failure, it just pops back loose, and rattles again. The ratchet mechanism fails, and will break really easy too, so be careful there, Yamaha will try and deny any warranty if you adjust it. (Or admit you did.)

Some created a fix kit, with a bolt, nut and you could set it and then lock it in place. This worked for some, but as noted, the ratchet mechanism is very fragile, and breaks easy. Then it fails, and you get accelerated cam chain slider wear.

I talked to the dealer, but they first denied any issue, then admitted they would try and adjust it, and then if it failed a few more times, replace it under warranty. Well, each time I would have to leave my bike for a few days, and in the middle of riding season? No way. I can adjust it myself, have worked on vehicles for my whole life.

So, finally bought an APR manual unit, that replaces the entire failed design that Yamaha is using. No parts to fail, set it, and forget it for 10,000 miles or more. Not too tight, not too loose right?

It's on order, but has not arrived yet. Adjusted the stock one again, put the set screw in just finger tight, and locked it down, and rode to work.

On the way the bike was running fine.
Pulled out from a left turn, gassed it pull ahead of a few slower vehicles, and a Ford diesel that's spooling up behind me, none to happy I just passed him like he was standing still.. About 65mph, the engine suddenly screems like crazy, and dies. Locked up solid, rear tire skids at 65mph...

Big truck in my rear end, locked up wheel at speed, and I got it nice and straight, and pulled the clutch, the rear rolled free, no high side, no truck running me over, coasted to the right side of the road, and as I stopped, let the cluch out to see if it was still locked up.

I had less than 3000 miles on the bike.

It ran, but sounded like crap. rattle, bang and pop, but it ran, barely. Babied it work, and home from work 12 hours later, and there was my ARP in the mail box.

Took off the side case over the cam chain to make sure I was not going to set it too tight and found the debris of the tensioner slider. All the plastic was gone, it was down to the alloy frame, and the chain was blue from heat. Debris in the case. Pulled the tensioner, and it was fully extended.

Well, for more than 10 years, I've been adjusting claim with the local Yamaha dealer, and bought two bikes from them, and I went in with the tensioner to talk to my "buddy" who runs the service and repair department.

He proceeds to throw me under the bus, says I broke it, and there would be no warranty.

After some very heated calls with Yamaha, and making it clear that I was going to crucify them in every way I could with everyone I would ever come across, including legal action to resolve this, they gave in and admitted that they have a problem with the CCT that's now been revised more than 3 times I'm aware of. At one point, the Yamaha rep told me it was a hydraulic adjuster.. LOL it's pure mechanical, but there is a oil supply hole, but it's not a piston design, it's a spring loaded Rube Goldberg contraption with a cone shaped stepped ratchet, spring and spring steel clip that holds the ratchet part together and will break if you are not careful. After I established that the man knew nothing about the bike, design of the CCT or motorcycles in general, and I asked to talk to his management about the fact they have guys with no clue making warranty decisions....

And they agreed to warranty the repairs to my nearly new FZ09.

I promptly traded it in at the same dealer, and bought the FJ09 that is WAY BETTER than the already very good FZ09. ;)

So, here is my advice:

1) DO not take apart your bike if you have and issue. Make the dealer do the work under warranty.
2) Do not admit any work to the bike on your part. Yamaha will use it against you, even if you are right, and have 100x more experience than their techs, or the idiots they use to adjust their claims. (I was Mechanical SME for Progressive in 14 states, have worked on cars/vehicles/engines since I was 5, so have a few years of diagnosing engine/transmission/mechanical failures under my belt.)
3) If you are out of warranty, get the APR unit, if you have noise, and set and forget it. The manual ones never cause excessive wear, or change where they are set at. You do have to check them and adjust about every 10,000 miles, but dang folks that's not hard to do compared to total engine failure on the other end of the spectrum.

That said, my "new" 2015 FJ09 has been quiet so far.
But I have the APR sitting on the counter just in case. ;)

And as soon as it's out of warranty, I'm going to set it and forget it peace of mind.

One more point. The Yamaha sourced/designed "automatic" CCT is a engine failure waiting to happen in my view. It's failure prone, as proven by own experience, and the fact many thousands of bikes have had this same problem, not just to the same extent as mine, but a few have had worse failures. The timing chain failing is a big deal. And on a new bike, it is unexcuseable in my view from Yamaha.

There is a reason that every race bike in the word has manual fixed adjustment units in them.
They do not fail.
Ever.

I paid a bunch extra for a 2016 to get the latest stuff including cct. Mine sounded great when I bought it (1 mile) but after I got it home it squeals very loud now. Esp when cold.

Even with earplugs it really bothers me. After a while it becomes intermittant luckily.

Also mine has the bottom oil drain.

Mine squeals loud too when cold, but I'm fairly certain it's the clutch basket and not the cam chain making the noise.  With the bike in neutral, pulling in the clutch makes the squeal almost inaudible.  Also it goes away after a few mins of riding, and seems to have decreased a bit in the last few hundred miles as well (I'm at around 2700 miles).  NBD overall.  

Guess I'm just keeping my fingers crossed I don't have issues, because I am madly in love with this bike :D

• Premium Member
My CCT started to make noise intermittently at 5700 miles. My production date is 11/14. I took it to the dealer, and of course it made no noise when I was there. That didn't seem to be an issue, as soon as I said, "It sounds like the CCT..." they ordered me a new one. I just returned from having it replaced, no hassle at all.

Archived