Frame sliders? And other "necessary" accessories

Alright, so after finally sitting on an FJ and seeing it in person, I'm starting to plan for what I need/want to buy to accessorize! Normally I go by reviews and other suggestions, but with the FJ being so new, there's not much info out there yet, so I have a couple questions for the most experienced FJers out there!

1. Frame sliders? My husband has the T-Rex slider set on his FZ and I like the looks and the functionality of them. I'm but sure if all the parts will fit on the FJ though. Anyone have experience installing on the FJ? Being a girl, I fear dropping the bike so I'd like to have as much protection as possible. 

2. Heated grips: Go Yamaha or aftermarket?

3. Cases: Buy the black stock cases or go the FJR case route? I don't plan on having them on unless I'm touring, so the extra size on the FJR cases would be nice. If I want to go the FJR route, is there anywhere other than Craigslist or Ebay to look for used ones?

Anything else I should consider? Of course I won't do all of this at once, but what can I say...I love shopping! :D

1. I have Shogun sliders, they are nice and big which is a good place to rest my legs sometimes (I'm an old guy and need to move around alot).
2. If you can afford them go Yamaha, they plug right in and you can control them on the switch housing and monitor them on the instrument panel.
3. I went soft bags, if the bike falls over no damage to cases but yet protection to the bike, you can find them cheap on ebay all over the place. I even have a 2014 FJR1300 and I could have used those cases, but...............
4. I'm 5'8" and the OEM windshield was useless for me, seemed to direct airflow to my helmet sure is noisey.............went with aftermarket tall.
5. At my height I lowered the seat more by chopping some foam off the seat and taking some rubber off the bumpers on the bottom side of the seat pan.
Have fun searching for additional stuff to make the bike yours........everyday I search the net to see if anything new popped up.

4. I'm 5'8" and the OEM windshield was useless for me, seemed to direct airflow to my helmet sure is noisey.............went with aftermarket tall. 5. At my height I lowered the seat more by chopping some foam off the seat and taking some rubber off the bumpers on the bottom side of the seat pan.
Have fun searching for additional stuff to make the bike yours........everyday I search the net to see if anything new popped up.
This is VERY good to know. Being all of 5'5" myself, I've already been pondering my options. I'm firmly on both toes when sitting on it, and I will get used to the one-sided lean at stoplights. But any more height I can shave without going for lowering links is awesome. I'm going to see if I can get any sort of deal with the Yamaha grips and lower seat option, but I'm not holding my breath. 
I love the idea of soft cases, but in my opinion they severely detract from the looks of the bike. I'm still out on whether I'll get bags from the get-go, or just wait it out and see. I don't plan on doing much touring, so I'm not sure how useful they'll actually be. At least with the FJ, it doesn't look like retrofitting will be difficult.

Do you have pictures of the seat after shaving? I've read demos on doing it, and getting it to look decent seems to be the hardest part. And great thinking on knocking down the rubber knobs on the bottom. That looks like at easy way to gain another .5" or so. We were looking at that at the dealer while looking at the seat height adjustment.

[div style=text-align:justify]My dealer where I bought the bike had the seat lowered (foam removal)...............he sells alot of FJR's and Super Tenere's to vertically challenged so he does it as a courtesy. I did it once on another bike, with an electric carving knife it's easy but the hard part is getting the staples right in tight spots when reattaching the cover.  With this picture I don't know if you can tell how much it is lowered.  You can't take too much off the bumpers on the seat pan because it won't fit right. My inseam is about 31 inch and I'm flat footed on the bike. 
R7SBxI2.jpg

Yeah it's hard to tell how much lower it is, but it looks great! That's a cool deal coming from the dealer. I don't know my exact inseam, but I think I'm probably about 29-30" in my boots. If I can firmly get the balls of my feet planted, I'm happy!

I've also contacted Corbin and Sargent to see if they will be releasing low-profile seats for the FJ. I'd rather spend my money there than the $284 for the low seat from Yamaha.

Thanks so much for sharing! Now I just have to decide on color...I'd jump on the race blue from the UK, but alas. Get gray like my hubby's FZ? Or get red like my Ninjette?? Tough choice.

• Premium Member
Yeah it's hard to tell how much lower it is, but it looks great! That's a cool deal coming from the dealer. I don't know my exact inseam, but I think I'm probably about 29-30" in my boots. If I can firmly get the balls of my feet planted, I'm happy! 
I've also contacted Corbin and Sargent to see if they will be releasing low-profile seats for the FJ. I'd rather spend my money there than the $284 for the low seat from Yamaha.

Thanks so much for sharing! Now I just have to decide on color...I'd jump on the race blue from the UK, but alas. Get gray like my hubby's FZ? Or get red like my Ninjette?? Tough choice.
Red is way easier to clean, as matt colors can have issues. Red is easier to be seen plus it matches my eyes after a binder. 8D 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Red IS my favorite color. But it doesn't match my pink gear! Then again, my alma mater's colors are Scarlet and Gray (GO BUCKS!) so that may be making my decision harder.
Doesn"t clash too bad does it? My wife hates pink, as she feels it stereotypes how women are suppose to look. She is a full on tomboy and rides a dirt bike better then me. She loved to slide around her back tire in turns, but now she is healing up from a broken fib/tib. It has been 5 weeks now, and she is just starting to feel a little better.

Here is my wife at the track on her ST3:
AnnTrack1a_zpsbbwqsvud.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Good for her! I'm not exceedingly feminine IRL, I've always been more comfortable in jeans in the mud. But I've had a hard time finding female fitted gear in non-floofy colors (pink, purple, baby blue), so I've embraced it. Also, I swear cagers treat me better when I'm wearing a pink jacket versus my original blue, but maybe it's in my head.

Your wife looks good on the Triumph! I've never been on a dirt bike and haven't done a track day yet, but once I buy the FJ, you know what's happening to my current Ninja 250!! I hope she heals fast and is back on 2 wheels soon!

• Premium Member
Since you don't actually have an FJ yet (?), this may not matter too much, but when I ordered my Yamaha hard bags a week ago, they told me the bags were on back order, and weren't due in 'till mid-to-late February. What I'm hoping for is that they were just overly pessimistic, and that they'll be calling me any day now and saying that they came in early.

Currently I'm just using an old BILT tank bag on the pillion seat as a tail bag for pump, flat repair kit, extra tools, and some odds and ends.
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Since you don't actually have an FJ yet (?), this may not matter too much, but when I ordered my Yamaha hard bags a week ago, they told me the bags were on back order, and weren't due in 'till mid-to-late February. What I'm hoping for is that they were just overly pessimistic, and that they'll be calling me any day now and saying that they came in early. 
Currently I'm just using an old BILT tank bag on the pillion seat as a tail bag for pump, flat repair kit, extra tools, and some odds and ends.
You are correct, I haven't ordered yet. I expect some things to be back-ordered for some time. Luckily (or unluckily) for me, I live in Ohio and we won't have decent riding weather until at least March, maybe even April. I'm going to play a game with the dealers: Who will give me the best deal! I won't be able to ride for a few months yet, so it doesn't matter to me if I buy tomorrow or in April. I've got time on my side. I'm hoping at the very least I can get them to throw in heated grips or the low seat or something.

When the sales on this bike go up, it will be harder to get those bags. Better order as soon as possible. IMO> 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
...Luckily (or unluckily) for me, I live in Ohio and we won't have decent riding weather until at least March, maybe even April...
I've been riding since I picked mine up on 1/7. That's why I ordered my bags already - i'll need them for the trips I'll be planning. 

Fortunately for me, I live in Tucson, so this is primo riding weather until June. Then through August I'll have to break out the hot weather gear and kind of halfway wish I could just ride after dark.

Good luck with your wheelin' and dealin'!
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Archived