Removing fuel tank sticker

Guest dmizer
None of the above. It peels right off at room temp then use the sticker itself to dab up any remaining glue. Always try the simple solution first in life. True words from an "OldFart."
This is exactly what I did.

I think the trick is to remove the sticker shortly after purchase. If it stays on too long, the glue sets more. I removed mine on the first or second day I had the bike. I slowly peeled the sticker off, making sure to keep the angle low. The only remaining residue was an outline around the edge of the sticker. I easily removed this with the glue on the back of the removed sticker. Looks perfect now.

Tank sticker?? Which tank sticker?? I have no such thing..
Did you buy it used? ...or you're in a jurisdiction where one isn't required by law. NA bikes get one on RH top of tank fairing/cover. I wonder if the sticker is a dealer item and not factory...hmmm.
Bought it new, the only sticker on the entire bike is under the tail where nobody can see it. Maybe whoever PDI'd it forgot to put it on, because I was thinking just last night about it after I posted. Some of the FJ's at the other dealers around here had the stickers, because I remember thinking that's the first thing to go. 

I used a combination of measures to remove this pesky sticker today, first job after getting the new bike home. I left it standing outside in hot sunshine to warm up the tank and surrounding metal, and then applied hot water on a rag, held over the sticker for a few minutes to further soften the adhesive.

After then soaking it with petrol on a rag I gently pried at the sticker – which is very brittle – with a blunt nylon decorator’s spatula, soft enough not to scratch the paintwork yet firm enough to allow me to peel then strip away the sticker in tiny narrow strips. My fingernails are a mess!

I reckon it was put on with a mix of Kryponite, Araldite, and Super Glue! Whew – but job done.

Thanks for all suggestions.   Case closed.

[em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I'm an adherent (get it?) of the oldfart method. I peeled slowly, and frequently repositioned my index fingers to keep them right at the leading edge of sticker/tank contact. No problem!

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• Premium Member
I guess my question is why the **hell** do they put a sticker on the gas tank to begin with?

stupid, stupid, stupid.........

Guest bruinfj09guy
I used a rag wet with hot water to soften the glue and then peeled.

It could be worse. My older Hondas had their tank warnings under the clearcoat.

• Premium Member
I guess my question is why the **hell** do they put a sticker on the gas tank to begin with?
I once saw a news report where they talked to a local ladder company.  The reporter asked them why there were so many stupid warning stickers on every ladder. 
The representative's response?  "Every one of those is the result of a lawsuit."

Sometimes the government mandates them too, of course, but the tank stickers on motorcycles always seemed more like lawsuit protection to me.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived