Spare bike for commuting and fun

MT-07 or Street Triple R?

MT-07 is not a good commuting bike, I'm a small guy and it was uncomfortable and became boring after 6 months, and it was my first street bike.
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

I am coming form a KLR 650 and XT 250. Liked the KLR but for overall fun the little XT was a blast to ride. It all depends on what kind of riding your doing. I did some off road with the XT but mostly city and back and forth to work. I found the more I rode the little 250 the more fun I had. Although the FJ is taking the place of both now.

• Premium Member
STR has 50% more power so is going to be more fun.

MT07 is a good bike but unfaired so maybe not the best commuter.

You need a Tmax for commuting and a GSXR1000 for fun...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
STR has 50% more power so is going to be more fun. 
MT07 is a good bike but unfaired so maybe not the best commuter.

You need a Tmax for commuting and a GSXR1000 for fun...
Agree on the first two sentences, but the STR is actually fairly similar to the Tracer, if you think about it. I can see the MT-07 might soon be boring. Gixxer? Yes please, but good examples have remarkable residual values. And yes, it would be a third bike. And then, maybe a K1300S would be a good compromise. Who can build a barn?

• Premium Member
Go ride the Street Triple before buying it.  My buddy has one and I had the FZ07.  The Street Triple has a horrible turning radius but is extremely fun to ride fast!  Great for canyons... but I wouldn't ride it for a commuter.  Depending on how far your riding... the FZ07 is not bad... but without wind protection would be a bear on the freeway for long distance commute.  If it was me... and I was looking for a lower cost bike... I might consider the CB500X or NC700X.  But at this point, you might as well ride FJ09!  For the sport look you could also look at the CBR500R.  Low cost, newly redesigned, and has wind protection (Limited).

• Premium Member
I think the FJ-09 is perfect for commuting and fun!

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Best spare bikes are supermoto dirt bikes. You can still take em off road for 5 mile long wheelies, jump over humps and logs and slide around corners. You can find shortcuts across railroad tracks and fields on the way to and home from work.

When it comes down to it, street bikes are boring compared to a good super moto that can do anything.

I upgraded to the FJ-09 from a CB500X, and I'm still deciding whether or not to try and sell it. I really like the idea of having two bikes, but they serve very similar functions. My thought is to go ahead with selling it, then get something a little more different later on down the road.

• Premium Member
The FJ/Tracer is such a phenomenal commuter that I think any second bike should focus on fun and style, practicality be damned. If I could buy a second bike right now it'd be a Thruxton R, R1, or maybe a classic slabby GSXR.

The FJ/Tracer is such a phenomenal commuter that I think any second bike should focus on fun and style, practicality be damned. If I could buy a second bike right now it'd be a Thruxton R, R1, or maybe a classic slabby GSXR.
I totally agree, my thought was a Monster, Tuono, or some other type of super naked bike. 

• Premium Member
Go ride the Street Triple before buying it.  My buddy has one and I had the FZ07.  The Street Triple has a horrible turning radius but is extremely fun to ride fast!  Great for canyons... but I wouldn't ride it for a commuter.  Depending on how far your riding... the FZ07 is not bad... but without wind protection would be a bear on the freeway for long distance commute.  If it was me... and I was looking for a lower cost bike... I might consider the CB500X or NC700X.  But at this point, you might as well ride FJ09!  For the sport look you could also look at the CBR500R.  Low cost, newly redesigned, and has wind protection (Limited).
It won't be one of those Hondas - just personal preference. If it was going to be a Honda it would be a VFR.

• Premium Member
Oh dear. I just looked at the Moto Guzzi website. It seems they only cater for the hipster market now, except for the Stelvio. Probably rows of the things parked outside Borough Market on a Saturday morning.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived