Comparo - FJ-09 (MT-09) Tracer vs MV Agusta Turismo Veloce

On-paper, similar bikes in terms of base specs (~800cc triple-cylinder engines) and intended use (sport-touring).
Has anyone seen any comparos published in the motorcycling press - and if so could links be provided?
Thank you..
[em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Similar configuration, that's about it. The MV Agusta gets good reviews, I've not seen a direct comparison. It is much more expensive with a more sophisticated suspension and other electronic aids for a start. I also think it looks very good. But for the price; I'm not sure I wouldn't want more engine.

• Premium Member
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/mv-agusta/turismo-veloce-800/2015/ reviews the MV and notes the difficulty the maker has in terns of convincing buyers to spend 50% more for the caché of the MV brand with its Brembo brakes and posher suspension compared to the Tracer.

Like @johan I would want something to stand out more for that extra cash as the branding and Italian heritage wouldn't ease my wallet to open wider. The lack of a proper dealer network in the UK is very off putting as well. The same thing has put me off buying Moto Guzzi in the past.

I have discussed this subject with @johan over pints of ale, glasses of burgundy, steins of lager and Weizen and cups of coffee. We have yet to reach a conclusion but will try again in June over a few glasses of Loire sauvignon blanc in Blois..
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/mv-agusta/turismo-veloce-800/2015/ reviews the MV and notes the difficulty the maker has in terns of convincing buyers to spend 50% more for the caché of the MV brand with its Brembo brakes and posher suspension compared to the Tracer. 
Like @johan I would want something to stand out more for that extra cash as the branding and Italian heritage wouldn't ease my wallet to open wider. The lack of a proper dealer network in the UK is very off putting as well. The same thing has put me off buying Moto Guzzi in the past.

I have discussed this subject with @johan over pints of ale, glasses of burgundy, steins of lager and Weizen and cups of coffee. We have yet to reach a conclusion but will try again in June over a few glasses of Loire sauvignon blanc in Blois..
I don't know. I might be able to make a decision after a bottle or two of Bordeaux. What about an RSV4 then? They have a better dealer network not true? In any case, before we get to the Loire we might ask the Reverend James for his opinion, who knows, we might bump into him in Rhayader?

Cycle Canada magazine did actually do a comparo article on these two bikes. I'll have to look for what issue. Not sure if they reproduce it in digital online.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

• Premium Member

I don't know. I might be able to make a decision after a bottle or two of Bordeaux. What about an RSV4 then? They have a better dealer network not true? In any case, before we get to the Loire we might ask the Reverend James for his opinion, who knows, we might bump into him in Rhayader?

Ah, I forgot about our pilgrimage to see the good Reverend. I hope he doesn't mind that I have been getting the Bishop's Finger since the last time we met.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I own a MV Agusta bike and feel compelled to comment. I have a fantastic local dealership and full faith that they can solve any technical problems that pop up. And, that's the issue with owning the MV brand - issues will pop up and you have to get into a completely different mindset regarding what owning a motorcycle is all about. I had 4 major problems within the first 1,000 miles that were all covered by the warranty. My bike sat idle for months while waiting for parts from Italy to arrive. The bike is beautiful, and I'm glad that I own it. I will never buy a new Italian motorcycle, however. I would buy one with 2,000 or so miles, not to get the lower price but to avoid the teething pain. Everyone I have talked to who owns an MV has had an almost identical ownership experience.

My Honda and Yamaha bikes just run (albeit somethings with recalls having to be done) and my mind can relax. That works better for me.

Archived