Chain Adjustments on the Road

• Premium Member
I have friends who bring comprehensive tool kits so I just pop the 27mm hex socket for the axle nut under the seat. This is the only item that may not be in a tool kit, especially if they are on a shaftie.

However, in all the tours I have done across Europe I have never adjusted the chain. Modern chains are so robust that adjusting them at service intervals or tyre changes is all that seems to be needed.

Even if solo travelling, people are mostly very helpful, in Europe anyway. Other motorcyclists will stop to help and workshops are often happy to loan you a tool. Just give them a few euros for a beer, although it is not expected.

Of course, if I was going to ride to the backwaters of the Ural mountains I would take a comprehensive toolkit in a Toyota Land Cruiser support vehicle.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

depends on how long the trip and how new the chain. I always carry a tool set on the longer trips so I can fix whatever needs fixin'
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I don't carry tools to adjust my chain on my trips. Chain adjustments are typically not emergencies, and finding a shop that will help with the right tools is usually not a problem.

On my Honda Grom, I'd do these 2 week long adventures on it and need to carry all the tools for chain adjustment. That chain would wear in 6k miles, so there was always a lot of stretch. And that was normal for the OEM chain and sprockets. This is my first O-ring chain. I asked mostly because I wanted to know if you all carry a torque wrench around with you. I did with my Grom, but it was a small beam torque wrench..not one like we need rated for 108ft lbs

• Premium Member
Hope you carried your Grom in a trailer, and just rode it at your destination. I can't imagine taking a Grom on a two week motorcycle trip!

And point taken, older chains do indeed need much more maintenance than the newer ones do.

Hope you carried your Grom in a trailer, and just rode it at your destination. I can't imagine taking a Grom on a two week motorcycle trip! 
And point taken, older chains do indeed need much more maintenance than the newer ones do.

Believe it or not, I did the two week trips on the Grom...no trailer! I have 13k miles on the clock, but now it's gone from my main ride to my commuter bike @100mpg.

Maintenance was simple, but incredibly frequent. Chain adjustments very often...oil changes every 1000 miles when ridden hard in the summer heat.. needed oil after every long day of riding because it consumes a small amount, but only took .9 quart total... I also went through 4 sets of tires too. It's a ton of fun though and very cheap to run.

• Premium Member
Wow, you are my Hero! I can't imagine putting that many miles on a Grom in 2 weeks. You deserve a medal!

Haha thanks David. I should say, though, there are others who do similar too. It's a strange niche, but the grom was my only ride at the time and I always feel the need to ride just about all day, every day!

I'm looking to take the FJ out to California next summer for a larger planned trip. Last summer I had endless vacation time, since I wasnt working. Now I have to plan vacation time carefully, since Im working. I've been doing 500 mile weekends this past month, so I'm looking to keep up that average as I get used to the FJ. I'll probably start a thread about FJ maintenance and travel packing, as I'm always interested to know what other riders carry on long trips.

In 40 years I've never heard of needing a torque wrench to tighten an axle nut this size. Tighten it like a lug nut, and ride on.

Maybe it's just the OCD engineer in me..My other bike's axel nut could be over tightened by using a regular ratchet and socket. And the FJ calls for 108 ft lbs, which I don't think I could reproduce with my ratchet and socket. I sometimes envy guys like you who tighten it up and forget about it. I check every thing twice and usually a third time just to be sure

Here's a start.   Lay out on your bed everything you think you'll need for your trip. Remove half of it, and start again...
[em]Wordsmith[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I just finished a trip from Ft. Lauderdale Florida to Highlands North Carolina and back, with a bunch of daily riding on the local roads. Roughly 2,000 miles.

I took a collapsible tire iron and a 27mm socket. Never needed it. The chain was adjusted and lubed before I left. Lubed once while there. It is filthy and needs cleaned and lubed and may be slightly out of spec.

I really believe that people worry about the chain to much.

For much longer trips I'll take the tire iron chain cleaner and lube, but for trips of this length +/- just the lube is going.

JMHO YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived