Blacks spots around exhaust outlet ok?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I have a brand new 2016 that I've got 300 miles on now and I've been quite a few sooty black spots on the decorative piece around the exhaust outlet.

I mean expect the exhaust to get dirty, but these are very discrete spots, as though the exhaust was spitting our drops of oil that were drying on the cover.  I've been cleaning them off regularly with some WD-40 and a shop towel, but I'm worried they're indicative of something not being well with my engine.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Normal, I think. A little bit of carbon builds up in the pipe. A little bit of water shows up in there from condensation, and then the water droplets spurt out a little dirty. At least that's my theory. No biggie.

• Premium Member
This is quite normal. The FJ exudes an incomprehensible amount of awesomeness. Small bits of that pure awesomeness will often congeal as it exits your exhaust, adhering to the exhaust outlet fascia and drying into those black spots you see. This is not unusual. If you are extra careful, you can possibly capture some of this awesomeness on a fingertip, and transfer it to say, a nice new white t-shirt perhaps, allowing you to display it to friends and family when away from the FJ. It's quite wonderful.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
This is quite normal. The FJ exudes an incomprehensible amount of awesomeness. Small bits of that pure awesomeness will often congeal as it exits your exhaust, adhering to the exhaust outlet fascia and drying into those black spots you see. This is not unusual. If you are extra careful, you can possibly capture some of this awesomeness on a fingertip, and transfer it to say, a nice new white t-shirt perhaps, allowing you to display it to friends and family when away from the FJ. It's quite wonderful.
LMAO!!  (rofl) ...and as you can tell by clint's face, that doesn't happen often!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
This wouldn't happen if Yamaha used dino oil rather than semi-synth Yamalube to let the engine bed in

P-)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Totally normal, it's a never ending cleaning process on that carbon catcher.
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

hahahahahahahah, best answer EVER!!!  I agree completely.  

Archived