Seat? Corbin vs Sargent

• Premium Member
Just an update on my Corbin experience. After two e-mails and put on hold at their Fl. Shop I left a message and finally got an e-mail response. They can refoam softer with a six week turnaround. I then went to cycle gear which is five min. From me and bought a gel pad (x-large) for $70.00. as a temp. solution till I can get over to Corbin. Maybe going over in person will speed up the process? What have I learned? I like the seat but should have ordered it with the softer foam. After around 100 miles ( before gel pad, I'll see how that works.) I get squirmy in the seat. It's just to stiff for my butt. I weigh around 205 lbs.
Update: Corbin only does re-foam at their Cal. location. But they do offer one free re-do from one year of purchase. So my best bet I think is to send it directly myself to them. Looks like I'll be on the stock seat for a little while...

4563234.jpg  

A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Just a note on a gel pad experience. I purchased a gel pad to help with a seat issue. I took it to a local seat builder and had it customed installed under the original seat. Lesson learned is the gel material has to be encapsulated in plastic or it will leach through and destroy the seat covering. The cover became very brittle after just 2 weeks. I threw the gel pad in a box for storage and discovered a large area of the box was discolored as it continued to leach. I wonder what the material safety data sheet has to say about this material? 
Dennis

I have the Corbin saddle and have been very pleased. I am easily able to place both feet flat at rest (height-6'0 and 31" inseam). The sometimes criticized "hardness" has not been an issue.  The support has been excellent. I had a Baldwin saddle on a C 14 Concours but I believe that Corbin is the better option. Customer service was efficient and delivery to Florida was sooner than estimated.

G8r

• Premium Member
For those folks that have the heated option on the Corbin seats, how does that work?  Is it a "binary" situation ( off/on ) or are there controls somewhere?  Nothing really clear on the Corbin site as to how that works. 
It's a binary on-off switch, and it's a bit hot for my taste, although I haven't ridden it in cold weather yet.

• Premium Member
For those folks that have the heated option on the Corbin seats, how does that work?  Is it a "binary" situation ( off/on ) or are there controls somewhere?  Nothing really clear on the Corbin site as to how that works. 
It's a binary on-off switch, and it's a bit hot for my taste, although I haven't ridden it in cold weather yet. I'm sure a generic controller for a heated garment could be put into the wiring harness - e.g. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/venture-heat-12v-grand-touring-wireless-remote-control 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I posted my update in a different thread:

http://fj-09.org/post/41525

The short form is that after 700 miles in 3 days I love the hell out of it. I still liked the shape of my old Corbin better, as well as the leather cover, but I have no qualms about recommending the Sargent wholeheartedly.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the other two seats....
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Just ordered a Sargent seat so I'll post up here after I've ridden it a bit. I'm happy with the Sargent on my 2000 Ducati Monster--which had an equally hard seat.
Since my wife bought the factory lower seat right off the bat, I had an extra stock seat to play with. So, yesterday, I pulled the seat apart and put some yoga mat foam under the rear area of the center of the seat pan--up to the bosses for the front rubber mounts. While I had the seat apart I also cut a channel in down the center of the stock foam at the front to give some relief to the boys. Also, I noticed quite a few somewhat sharp projections on the pan and cut them down a bit with a sharp knife to smooth them off as much as possible.
Verdict: Better but still started to be painful after about an hour. Stock was an hour, period.  For a "sport-touring" bike, an hour before my ass hurts is ridiculous.  The seat should at least be good for a full tank of gas before one wants a break, right? Maybe it's just my bony old butt and others don't have this problem.
For $300 the Sargent should be a good investment.  

• Premium Member
I am about 800 miles into a trip with my Corbin. Very pleased so far, very comfortable. Swapped bikes with my buddy as he has a bad back. He rode 3 hours today and looks as if he is back from the dead. Might not see my FJ/Corbin the rest of this trip.

I'm torn about the seat. I actually like the stock seat. My longest ride has been 2.5 hours without a stop but no sore spots, no hot spots.

Every motorcycle I have owned I have put an aftermarket seat on. It makes me wonder if I am missing something by not going after market. I have previously used Corbin seats, but the FJ09 Corbin seat is just not my style. I like the looks of the Sargent seat better but it does look strangely wide...

Decisions, decisions...

... I like the looks of the Sargent seat better but it does look strangely wide... 

You don't notice how wide the seat "looks" when you are sitting on it :P .... its really not bad in person anyway IMO. 
If you are pleased with the stock seat then you should probably use the money for some other upgrades..

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I posted my update in a different thread: 
http://fj-09.org/post/41525

The short form is that after 700 miles in 3 days I love the hell out of it. I still liked the shape of my old Corbin better, as well as the leather cover, but I have no qualms about recommending the Sargent wholeheartedly.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the other two seats....
I have kept my OE seat. This will go on the bike when I have a change of bike. 
There is rarely any benefit leaving upgrades on a bike.

My replacement seat (Bagster) will be advertised on here and Ebay if needed. It will sell easily. Done this with my last 2 bikes. Even made a profit on one as I bought a secondhand Sargent for my R1150GS and sold it on for £30 more than I paid as Sargent prices had rocketed in the 5 years. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know about a Corbin--don't like its looks at all.
Just got my Sargent front seat and took my first ride Sunday. Pretty comfy for two hours--the length of the ride. That's twice as far as I could go on the stock seat without my ass and nuts begging for a break. Sargent seat is a bit wide in back so, from an appearance perspective, maybe not great, but if someone has a wide butt that may be necessary. I'm just a skinny old white guy.

another cheap and effective suggestion, also made elsewhere, bike shorts.
With so many expensive farkles like ECU flashes, exhausts, frame sliders, luggage, and windscreens to spend $€£¥ on, I've found a few affordable seat mods that vastly improve the FJ-09 riding experience. 
1: Like weinman123 says, padded bike shorts
2: Alaska sheepskin cover, improves comfort and keeps you warm when its cold and cool when its hot, plus you can switch between your multiple bikes in seconds
3: California Scientific's tempur foam DIY seat mod, link is here (best bang for buck motorcycle mod I've ever done):

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Seats.html#DIYSeat

Carry on!

Archived