Which Oil do you use?

• Premium Member
Not trying to start a holy war, but I used Yamalube for my 600 mile service and was thinking about switching to AMSoil Synthetic oil and filter going forward. What do you use in your FJ-09?

Guest bruinfj09guy
Not trying to start a holy war, but I used Yamalube for my 600 mile service and was thinking about switching to AMSoil Synthetic oil and filter going forward. What do you use in your FJ-09?
Sounds like a great idea! 
In the FJ-09 I used Rotella T 15x40 (non-synthetic) for the 600 mile and maybe one after, and then switched to T6. I can't remember where I looked to determine using conventional oil was best for the first change or two; it might have been here or another forum.

I just rolled over the 600 mile mark on the new FJR and plan to do the same thing. I do kind of wish I could find a synthetic 20w50 at a good price for the summer (does synthetic 20w50 exist?). Anyways, I don't see any point in paying $30 a gallon for conventional Yamalube. Truth is, I haven't looked into options in depth really. Chances are high I'll just stick with T6, as I have done in my bikes since 2011 (save for the T immediately post break-in).

• Premium Member
Sounds like a great idea! 
In the FJ-09 I used Rotella T 15x40 (non-synthetic) for the 600 mile and maybe one after, and then switched to T6. I can't remember where I looked to determine using conventional oil was best for the first change or two; it might have been here or another forum.

I just rolled over the 600 mile mark on the new FJR and plan to do the same thing. I do kind of wish I could find a synthetic 20w50 at a good price for the summer (does synthetic 20w50 exist?). Anyways, I don't see any point in paying $30 a gallon for conventional Yamalube. Truth is, I haven't looked into options in depth really. Chances are high I'll just stick with T6, as I have done in my bikes since 2011 (save for the T immediately post break-in).
I haven't seen 20w50 but I happily use 15w50 Mobil 1 Synthetic (and have for years).

• Premium Member
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-785-20w50-motorcycle-engine-oil.aspx lists some 20W/50 bike oils - note this is a UK supplier but many of the brands are global. My BMW boxer did thousands of miles on the Valvoline VR1 but that had a dry clutch! If it was warm enough over here to use 20W/50 in the Tracdr then I'd happily use a semi-synth in the Tracer or FJR with 6000 mile service intervals. Silkolene, Valvoline Durablend or the Miller one.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Mobil 1 in all my vehicles, including the Vette. Pretty much 10W30.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Any good synthetic in the cars Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline. Mobil 1 V-twin in the XR1200. I decided to have the dealership do most if not all of the service on this bike. So Yamalube 15-50 synthetic is what it gets.

yamalube_zpsb2f2g2ec.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 2 months later...

Archived