2016 Fj 09 ALL MINE!

Hey guys, whats up. I am Scott. I have been riding for a few years, and currently own a 2012 Ducati 848 EVO, but I am looking forward to getting something a little better for riding every day, and taking on longer trips. I have been looking into buying an FJ 09, and think that the 2016 silver with blue is awesome looking!

I have just a couple hesitations, so I am hoping you guys can settle them for me. First, I had a Yamaha FZ6R just before my Ducati, and HATED it. I bought it after having not ridden in 5+ years, and it was ok for getting back on a bike, but after I put 2k miles on it, I could not stand riding it anymore. I have given an FJ 09 a test ride, and it seemed great, I would just like a little more reassurance that I would not fall into the same thing with an FJ 09. I am 6'2", so I am pretty tall. The riding position was nice, but I did find that even with the (slightly) adjustable windscreen, it was knocking my helmet around quite a bit. Also I read that they are electronically limited to 115 mph. Does this bother anyone? Its a different style bike, but I have quite often gone 120+ on the Ducati, and I don't want to be disappointed that I can't go a little faster.

Other than those dumb little things, I am SUPER exciting with the idea of getting one, and I will most likely buy one and just figure it out anyways!

What exactly did you hate about your FZ6R?

Windshield is a problem for most, but there are lots of aftermarket options.  Yes, it's limited to 115 but there are flash options available that can remove that.  Although, if you do that often you may want to read some of the threads about speed wobbles.  I don't ride that fast, so I haven't read those threads but there's most certainly valuable information there.

Welcome

I would say that I hated just about everything about the FZ6R. It didn't have any HP. My helmet got knocked around a lot (I'm tall, I know). It was geared REALLY close together. And it was really buzzy and actually rattled a bit at highway speed about 70 mph. And to add to that, its not really an attractive bike....
I don't often ride at speeds above 100mph, especially not for any prolonged distances, I just like accelerating :)

• Premium Member
FZ6, like any inline 4 will be a buzzy thing that needs constant gear changes - of the bike I have owned, the CBR600 I owned was the least liked. It was great on a test ride but I hated it by the time I rode from the UK to Slovenia!

Tracer/FJ is a very different proposition with an engine that loves to rev but that has massive torque so you don't need to change down if you hit a slight incline.

Ergonomics can be altered with different screens, rotating the bars so you lean forward a bit.

I'm in the UK so we get full power bikes so I have taken it well over 115mph. In reality, the bike does not have the aerodynamics to go much faster, certainly not in comfort. I probably wouldn't worry too much about a 115 speed restriction apart from the principle that I don't want Yamaha to nanny me.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Am I correct in saying you have your hand guard panels flipped upside down? How did you end up getting golden forks with a race blu?? Looks good though..
The golden forks with race blu is how the 2016 US model comes from the factory.  Odd that everything is the same as the 2015 worldwide model that we didn't get in the states except for the forks.

Am I correct in saying you have your hand guard panels flipped upside down? How did you end up getting golden forks with a race blu?? Looks good though..
Hahaha, you are correct. For as good of an experience as I had at Adventure Motorsports, they did install those on the wrong side, so they were upside down. I have fixed it already though.  And yes, that is completely stock for the US market. And it does look good! It's funny though how many people comment on the gold forks. I even had a random walking down the street make a comment about the bike looking really good when I was at a stop light :)

Archived