Reducing throttle effort

• Premium Member

And done!

It does seem a little smoother with the new cables and with the Spring mod I will, like others have said, have to adjust to it, that is when I get back in the saddle...😁

20240315_193855.jpg

20240315_193841.jpg

20240315_193836.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Oh and I cleaned the TB within an inch of their lives. Hopefully they'll run like new but being a carb guy who understands deeply their idiosyncrasies, the FJ is my first FI, ABS, TC & Multi-Mode scoot, so TB  are still a little bit of a mystery to me...

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Oh and I cleaned the TB within an inch of their lives. Hopefully they'll run like new but being a carb guy who understands deeply their idiosyncrasies, the FJ is my first FI, ABS, TC & Multi-Mode scoot, so TB  are still a little bit of a mystery to me...

With all of the time and effort you are pouring into 'spring maintenance', by the time you are finally able to ride again the bike should ride like brand new.  👍🏻

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

With all of the time and effort you are pouring into 'spring maintenance', by the time you are finally able to ride again the bike should ride like brand new.  👍🏻

Brian, it's therapeutic and being anal retentive I can only do it one way as only right is right. Plus As long as i'm in there I keep finding things

Therapeutic, because I cannot ride. So this is an interim stop gap.I may try to go out once I get it together if weather cooperates perfectly otherwise you can p m me and I'll update you on the medical front.

Right now I'm watching Q2 of the 21 Fatherland moto GP taking a break

Despite using silicone, it's always difficult to get the stick coils out.But I'd come up with a method where I shoot under the gasket some water based lube and use a wood pry bar n pop it up after turning them around and tapping them gently with a hammer and piece of wood; kind of like when you break free a bolt. I still sweat that I'll break em

As the rad the tipped down and valve cover bolts are out I'm ready to check the valves but I think I'll bleed the brakes first and call it quits for the day

I'll also pull the calipers and clean them with the rotors and pads. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol. 

Not sure if  I'll vacuum drain, flush and vacuum Fill the coolant or I'll put that off for later this spring As it only really entails removing the right cover

I hope you're getting out and putting some rubber down

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I hope you're getting out and putting some rubber down

The next few days are forecast for 70F.  I have my grandkids today and tomorrow so they take priority but I definitely plan on getting out for a bit on both bikes.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

The next few days are forecast for 70F.  I have my grandkids today and tomorrow so they take priority but I definitely plan on getting out for a bit on both bikes.

Jeesh, when you said grandkids, I was surprised, taken aback, because I don't (yet) have any myself, and I'm a dozen years your senior.

But you're certainly old enough, and it was not you're decision either (or was it?). 😏

Me and SWMBO do have grandcats though, and they're a stitch too!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Let amend the foregoing. 

I was surprised you had grandchildren because I still think of myself as young 🤣 and knew you are younger than me. 

I wish I physically felt younger, even at 55 I was still bicycling 35 miles 4 days a week for cross training even though I didn't really enjoy it.

People often say I look much younger than I am.  I respond looks can be deceiving...

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:29 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Despite using silicone, it's always difficult to get the stick coils out.But I'd come up with a method where I shoot under the gasket some water based lube and use a wood pry bar n pop it up after turning them around and tapping them gently with a hammer and piece of wood; kind of like when you break free a bolt. I still sweat that I'll break em

As the rad the tipped down and valve cover bolts are out I'm ready to check the valves but I

2and3 are you aware that there’s drain holes for each spark plug well located just above the exhaust ports in the cyl head?

A controlled short blast of compressed air in the hole with a rubber tipped blow gun frees the coil packs very easily. Disconnecting the wire connectors first is recommended, I also catch the coil pack with my hand when it “pops” out. 

HTH,

Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, skipperT said:

2and3 are you aware that there’s drain holes for each spark plug well located just above the exhaust ports in the cyl head?

A controlled short blast of compressed air in the hole with a rubber tipped blow gun frees the coil packs very easily. Disconnecting the wire connectors first is recommended, I also catch the coil pack with my hand when it “pops” out. 

HTH,

Skip

I know about the drain holes, but I didn't think of using air pressure.Great pointer

The plugs are in, but I'll blow it out from the bottom.Hopefully I'll get trash out maybe

I do blow from the top as well though.

Thanks tiger

20240316_110456.jpg

• Thumbsup 1