Polite Vest

lhancock

• Premium Member
Those in the UK i'm sure are familiar with these as they've been for sale over there for many years.  Hi-Vis vest with the words POLITE emblazoned across the back. Many people i've talked to initially read it as POLICE as its intended and my first commute with it was pretty amusing with all the cars moving out of my lane when they see me coming up from behind. You really do have to look twice if your not paying full attention.  They've yet to catch on over here in the new colonies so I figured I'd sport one myself. I've had my fair share of cars drift into my lane half asleep over the years. Most seem to have a love/hate relationship with these but if it helps get me home to my family each day I don't mind a little ribbing here and there. My daily commute either starts or ends in the dark depending on the time of year so I'll take any added visibility I can get.

4660972.jpg

4660984.jpg

• 5 months later...
I can tell you now that if you dress like a cop, the next thing you have is people slamming their brakes on as you come up behind them, and they spot you in the mirror (assuming they ever look...but the ones doing over the limit tend to from time to time) ...just what you don't want.

TBH I prefer to consider my self invisible and ride like I'm the referee of a soccer game, being very aware of the game, but staying out of the action and not getting emotionally involved with stupid actions and idjits.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
I prefer to consider my self invisible and ride like I'm the referee of a soccer game, being very aware of the game, but staying out of the action and not getting emotionally involved with stupid actions and idjits.
Great analogy. I've been a soccer referee for years and there are many similarities, although they never occurred to me until now.

The expert referee reads the flow of the game to anticipate play.

• Premium Member
I get it but here they're hard to find and expensive here. Interesting but I also would be worried about a cager slamming on their brakes when they finally see you in their rear view mirror.

For over 32 years I've worn (and still have my second replacement) a Conspicuity, Inc. Orange/Yellow/Orange Black Mesh Super SeeMe "chevron" safety vest (very, very durable and adjustable). About $60 including shipping if you shop around.

http://www.conspicuity.us/vests.html

Last year I went high tech and went to a Adaptiv Technology, LLC (of motorcycle radar detector fame, a great unit) electro-luminescent safety vest, which is very effective and a quality piece. However, the first one had a bad wire and they replaced it for free including shipping with a bit of a fight though. About $55 on the web (again) if you shop...

http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/adaptiv_store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83&products_id=251

I also have auxiliary brake, side and rear, and front LED lighting, plus a headlight modulator and day-glow reflective decals on my helmets and back of mirrors...

Urban riding is a life and death battle that I truly try make into a live "video" game by predicting what stupid, inconsiderate, brain dead, rude and unskilled action or inaction cagers around me will do, and of course make the necessary maneuvers almost before the cager seeming tries to kill me. We have to try to keep smiling and enjoy the ride somehow. Motorcyclists are like sharks, if we stop "swimming" we die (no active gills), and live by the motto "If you aren't there, they can't kill you"!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived