Air Hawk vs Bike Cushion

jim216

I'm am going on an extended trip in a couple of weeks and wanted to know if anyone has used the Air Hawk Cushion Seat or the Bike Cushion on their FJ-09. I like the stock seat, but after about 3 hours I'm starting to get pretty uncomfortable. I see both of these brands advertised with excellent reviews. I would most likely only use this seat once or twice a year when traveling 4 to 500 miles (my limit) in a day. Any comments would be appreciated, thank you.

• Premium Member
I've been using an Airhawk small pillion pad for a couple of years, it's just the right size to relieve the hot spots and doesn't take up much space. I don't use it much but sometimes on a real long day my butt will start crying so I'll get it out and use it with just a small amount of air.  I've used jell pads, beads and sheepskin and they help but with the Airhawk just a small change in the air pressure will make a big difference in comfort. 
BLB

I've been using an Airhawk small pillion pad for a couple of years, it's just the right size to relieve the hot spots and doesn't take up much space. I don't use it much but sometimes on a real long day my butt will start crying so I'll get it out and use it with just a small amount of air.  I've used jell pads, beads and sheepskin and they help but with the Airhawk just a small change in the air pressure will make a big difference in comfort. 
I found that the secret to success with an Airhawk seat-pad is to inflate it very lightly indeed - add minimal air. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I never leave home without my Airhawk. Had for for 8 years now and just keep moving it from bike to bike.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

For what it's worth, there's another air bladder type seat pad out there that's cheaper than most models of the Air Hawk

http://www.motomachines.com/Amphibious-Softseat-Large_p_5039.html

I can't vouch for this personally, but I know some other person on this board has one and likes it. I've been considering it - though unlike the Air Hawk it doesn't have a separate air bladder and cover. The pad IS the bladder - so you can't just buy a replacement cover if the strap rips or something like that. Still, $90 compared to $150+ for the newer models of Air Hawk might be worth it if it holds up.

Thanks for all your replies. Going from Connecticut to TN via Skyline Drive, Blueridge Parkway, Tail of the dragon, cherohala skyway over to Nashville and then to Loretta Lynn's in Hurricane Mills to visit my son. Like the song says what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Can't wait.

• 1 month later...
So I ended up buying one of the large Amphibious seat pads. I bought it for a 2400 mile trip to visit the Tail of the Dragon.

I'm glad I bought it...but I wish I paid less for it.

The material and build quality was a bit cheaper than I expected it to be from the pictures. I mean, bike stuff is always kind of overpriced, because it's a niche market and there's not a ton of competition, but $90 for what I got seems a little excessive. I think it would be more reasonable at, say $50-60, and I bet they'd still probably be making a nice profit on that.

Regarding seat comfort in general, I have the Sargent seat and found that by itself, it's great for one day of riding (6-8 hours); but it's pretty hard and over consecutive days of riding, I do feel some pressure points start to add up. The Amphibious seat pad definitely helped out with that. Any day where I was doing highway, I used it and it was great. Days with nice curvy roads, I took it off.

So I ended up buying one of the large Amphibious seat pads. I bought it for a 2400 mile trip to visit the Tail of the Dragon. 
I'm glad I bought it...but I wish I paid less for it.

The material and build quality was a bit cheaper than I expected it to be from the pictures. I mean, bike stuff is always kind of overpriced, because it's a niche market and there's not a ton of competition, but $90 for what I got seems a little excessive. I think it would be more reasonable at, say $50-60, and I bet they'd still probably be making a nice profit on that.

Regarding seat comfort in general, I have the Sargent seat and found that by itself, it's great for one day of riding (6-8 hours); but it's pretty hard and over consecutive days of riding, I do feel some pressure points start to add up. The Amphibious seat pad definitely helped out with that. Any day where I was doing highway, I used it and it was great. Days with nice curvy roads, I took it off.
I'm glad it works for you. I wish we could sell these for cheaper! 

Yeah coincidentally Airhawk seems to have recently dropped the MSRP on their pads so that all models are $108 now. (Which speaks to how much they were overcharging for them before.) Amphibious might need to tweak their MSRP a little to stay competitive...

Archived