the three 'esses'...

An interesting survey would be to ask how many members have made significant changes (that is, new after-market components rather than DIY tweaks or minor adjustments) to: (a) suspension – front and/ or rear; (b) seat; © screen.

Between them, these three ‘esses’ – [strong]s[/strong]uspension, [strong]s[/strong]eat, [strong]s[/strong]creen – seem to account for most of the dissatisfaction with our machines.

As for myself, I made some DIY adjustments to the suspension but spent no money on it; spent a lot on a new Bagster seat; and find the screen perfectly acceptable for my purely recreational riding.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have a sargent seat and puig touring screen. Only tweaked stock settings of suspension.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I have replaced my seat (Corbin) and adjusted my suspension.

I would like to change my screen, but haven't found anything I think is better yet......

Replaced the seat (Sarget).

I guess I'm not a good enough rider to understand what's wrong with the suspension. I cranked up the settings a bit and it seems ok.

As far as the screen, on the low setting my head is completely in the wind, which is how it was with my previous bike and it's preferable to the screen being higher which then results in the wind hitting the top of my helmet only and a lot of buffeting. I'm considering a screen to be completely out of the wind, but I've never ridden a bike like that and I'd think it would get hot.

I've ordered a sargent seat, plan to try to adjust the suspension to see if it will be sufficient, and am contemplating going with a smaller windshield (MRA) because the stock one is kind of annoying and I think a smaller one would stop the buffeting by just being in the wind and def improve the looks.
"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

Guest reeseyboy
I've had the seat shaved down by 10mm and a gel pad inserted. All good now. The screen has been changed to the Ermax Sports Screen. Suspension wise, I have had the Andreani inserts and an Ohlins shock fitted; best change by far.

• Premium Member
I ride solo most of the time (commuting or weekend blasting around with friends), but my wife wants to come along fairly often, so upgrading the seat and suspension was a must. Changed out the screen when I finally saw one I liked that got favorable reviews. Completely happy with all 3 upgrades.
Seat - Corbin w/ backrest for the wife (pricey but worth it...the seat, that is ;) )Suspension - Forks By Matt "Intermediate" fork upgrade, plus JRi double-clicker shockScreen - Givi D2122S from eBay
I was sold on this bike after a test ride (that [em]motor![/em]) and the ergos. Price and reliability made it easy to spend a little to customize it. Loving the FJ.

An interesting survey would be to ask how many members have made significant changes (that is, new after-market components rather than DIY tweaks or minor adjustments) to: (a) suspension – front and/ or rear; (b) seat; © screen. 
Between them, these three ‘esses’ – [strong]s[/strong]uspension, [strong]s[/strong]eat, [strong]s[/strong]creen – seem to account for most of the dissatisfaction with our machines.

As for myself, I made some DIY adjustments to the suspension but spent no money on it; spent a lot on a new Bagster seat; and find the screen perfectly acceptable for my purely recreational riding.

You should update the original post to include a poll with a few choices! Maybe even separate choices by brand.. not necessary but could be fun to see what kind of seat, screen, suspension most people buy..

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

You should update the original post to include a poll with a few choices! Maybe even separate choices by brand.. not necessary but could be fun to see what kind of seat, screen, suspension most people buy..
I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of all the many different brands and variants of seats, screens, and certainly suspension components to be able to do this.   But taking your point - maybe future respondents could include this micro detail - it would, indeed, be interesting and maybe useful to those contemplating their choices and options. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I will be upgrading my seat in a couple of weeks to an all black Corbin with heat, but I find the suspension is fine for the sport touring I do. And I, as well, don't mind the stock screen..... perhaps a shorter Sport Ermax might be in the future. For the price, I still think we get a lot of bike for the money.

• Premium Member
I had a seat made by Mr. Ed's Moto, and I installed a V-Stream touring screen. The suspension is stock except for minor tweaks to settings. It's certainly not the best suspension I've had but I find it tolerable for now. But what do I know? My other vehicle is a 2002 Jeep Wrangler with 116k miles on the original shocks.

Archived