Do-it-yourself rear tire change?

jaxn

So I've been researching the forum for a week now and haven't found any threads on anyone changing their rear tire themselves. Maybe it's pretty easy, but I've never done it before in 25 years of riding. Finally got a screw in my rear tire, which was still oem and had 7500 miles on it and was ready for replacement. Looking to order a new Roadsmart 2 rear online and try mounting myself. Would like to know what other FJers use/do to replace their own tires.

I found this
online which makes it look straightforward and simple, if not easy. I plan to invest in the same tire irons and rim protectors. I'm very handy and have always done my own work on my bikes, but I find this intimidating for some reason. 
Suggestions? Recommendations? Warnings?

Thanks all.

I use a Cycle Hill changer :    http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Cycle_Hill_Tire_Changer_p/tc-ch100.htm

It's made by the Nomar people and uses their tools, but the stand is a little less elaborate to keep the cost down.  It works well.  You can do the tire iron thing if you want, but I'm too old for that, and don't need my fingers getting mashed up.  For a balancer I like Marc Parnes stuff:   http://www.marcparnes.com

It only takes two or three changes to pay for your equipment in cost savings.  You can buy the tires online at good prices and save on the mounting charges.

• Premium Member
So I've been researching the forum for a week now and haven't found any threads on anyone changing their rear tire themselves. Maybe it's pretty easy, but I've never done it before in 25 years of riding. Finally got a screw in my rear tire, which was still oem and had 7500 miles on it and was ready for replacement. Looking to order a new Roadsmart 2 rear online and try mounting myself. Would like to know what other FJers use/do to replace their own tires. 
I found this
online which makes it look straightforward and simple, if not easy. I plan to invest in the same tire irons and rim protectors. I'm very handy and have always done my own work on my bikes, but I find this intimidating for some reason. 
Suggestions? Recommendations? Warnings?

Thanks all.
I've got a Coats 220 and have been changing my own tires for years. It's definitely not easy and maybe even impossible without a nice manual unit. The reason is that when mounting the new tire on the FJ-09 rear wheel, you need to move the bead towards the center of the wheel as you move around the tire..normal. However, the center of the FJ-09 wheel is NOT very recessed and thus requires quite a bit of torque to get the tire mounted. I would NEVER try to do this without a good manual tire machine. I mounted a set of Bridgestone T30 Evos just yesterday with a new gold x-ring chain (DID 525ZVMXG-110 Gold). Not for the faint of heart. In that video, I guarantee you that Ari Henning messed up the rim when he chose to not slide the rim protector over for the last lever. Just a lazy move on his part, but shows how the frustration can build up when using those simple tools and you just want to get the damn thing done. Even when unmounting the original tire the rim protectors popped off when he pryed the bead over the rim....DING! Another paint chip. Coats220-2T.jpg?1469631849

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Thanks all for the input. Sounds like many of you have invested in quality equipment to do proper tire changes.  I decided I'm gonna start with the tools from the video and follow his steps and see how it goes. Will definitely report back on how well (or badly) it goes. 

Wish me luck...

Bought a No-Mar Junior Pro changer about 10 years ago and love it, paid for itself many times over, highly recommended.  Breaking the bead is a piece of cake now.  Mounted a new T30 rear this afternoon. From removing the wheel, dismounting/remounting the tire and balancing, maybe 30-35 minutes taking my time.

SoCal
2015 FJ-09 Red of course :)

• 1 year later...
Some small tire irons, brute force, and some ignorance will get the tire(s) off. I've done lots of tire changes by hand. Now that I have a big-boy job, I pay to have that shit done. Its work!

'15 FJ09

Hi sterlinggold. I will say it was a massive pia and I will pay someone next time. I did it successfully but not without much cursing and bruises, even after following all the shared tips. Gonna take my front off this week and have a new tire mounted by a local shop. Got 10k miles out of the front and it's ready to replace. Good luck!

• Premium Member
I have the HF mounter, modified the wheel holders with some nylon blocks to prevent scratches. A No-Mar bar, some Motion Pro rim protectors and tire spoons finish off the set. Pretty quick and easy to do after you've done it a few times. Plus if it is done wrong, it's no ones fault but mine.

I understand not wanting to DIY this, but it really can be a fight. But after mounting some car tires for the rear of my ST-1100 (Darkside, ya know!) I feel pretty good about putting MC tires on the FJ!

• Premium Member
Yes . That was an option I considered, I am a HF junkie and will gladly buy another tool for the price of one service charge at the shop. but the tire changer, motorcycle kit, bars and balancer takes a lot of garage real estate and I will probably only use it for the bike so cannot really justify.

If there was a decent low footprint option like the tools in Ari's video that was not chaingang work, I would have gone for it, but lots of confirmation here that this option does not exist.

Archived