a little game

wessie

• Premium Member
For the first time in >20 years, I will have a second motorcycle in the garage.

In the mid 1990s I owned a Honda VFR750FJ (early one with two sided swing arm) and a Honda NX650 Dominator, which was my first bike after passing my test on a Suzuki GS125ES.

So, the Tracer/FJ remains as the everyday bike for commuting, business trips, leisure trips etc etc. 

So, what do you think this second bike might be? An uber touring bike that is like a sofa on wheels? A manic 2 stroke? An off roader? European, American, Japanese? A project? A concourse condition classic? A track bike? 

Whilst I may be a follower of Dorothy, it doesn't look like Grayson Perry's bike 
fist.jpg

Do your worst. All should be revealed on the weekend. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'm looking into a second bike for my garage as well... I am perfectly satisfied with the FJ's/Tracer's on road capabilities so I'm looking for a small dual sport. Either a WR250R or DR-Z400.... Could you be going to same route, @wessie!?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
The funny suggestion: vintage Triumph or Royal Enfield so you can enjoy wrenching when you would otherwise be riding the FJ. But gets tons of hipster and street cred.

Serious suggestion: DRZ400SM or KTM or Aprilia SM with a 2nd set of wheels/knobby tires. Can get around town. More fun on really tight corners. And can go of road like a dual sport in 30 minutes or less.

• Premium Member
2 of the same class motorcyle... wasnt expecting that.
but very different in terms of riding position and budget 
the Tracer is a great all rounder and it will be my daily ride to get to work and it really did help me get back into riding bikes after a life threatening illness. 

2 years on from the illness, I am in the fortunate position to be able to keep the Tracer for everyday use and have a posher bike for longer trips or Sunday rides. The Tracer's upright riding position is great for commuting as you have a commanding view of the road. The RS is a much sportier riding position, canted forward and higher pegs. I was fine after 75 miles on the demo bike but I'll find out on Sunday of a 250 mile day is comfortable. What the RS has is near perfect fuelling, a seemingly comfortable seat, stonking Brembo brakes, electronic suspension that works well on really bumpy surfaces, quickshift as standard and cruise control as standard. It's a bit of a leap of faith, but I am hoping the RS will make longer trips more fun with the pokier engine, more sophisticated suspension and quickshift. The cruise control and better aerodynamics should make high speed blats on continental concrete slabs less tiresome on those few days where covering 400+ miles is needed.  

I considered upgrading the Tracer's suspension but @johan did not find much of an improvement and bought a Super Duke. Plus, with leisure, business & commuting miles, I have been putting over 1000 miles a month on the Tracer, so I will split the load now. 

So, there's some rationalisation. It's my rationalisation. If anyone disagrees, well, that's your rationalisation, not mine. 

Alternatively, it's my birthday on Sunday and I really am worth it. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

@wessie.. wasn't disagreeing at all. As long as you are happy with your decision that's all that matters.

Was just stating that I was surprised that it was something very similar to what you already had. For my second bike I want something different than the Tracer so I thought you might be doing the same thing.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
@wessie .. wasn't disagreeing at all. As long as you are happy with your decision that's all that matters. 
Was just stating that I was surprised that it was something very similar to what you already had. For my second bike I want something different than the Tracer so I thought you might be doing the same thing.
When you set the parameters I do for a bike, then there is a small subset of candidates!

I could make do with the RS but I don't want to put 1000 miles a month on that either. 2 BMW services a year would make the eyes water. 

Archived