How long did your original battery last ?

ilanr1

• Premium Member
Rare for an OE Yuasa not to last 2 years - I assume you have tried charging it with a charger suited to an AGM battery? An old school trickle charger will top up a partially charged AGM battery but it will not recover a completely flat one.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest autobiker
The OEM Yuasa battery on my FJ is going strong after 1.5 years and 25k miles. The bike starts in one crank and the battery measures >10V across the terminals during cranking. The FJ doesn't have a lot of thirsty electronics from the factory and the engine seems really easy to crank. Unless you take many short trips, the battery should last 2 years easily.

In contrast, my previous GS' OEM battery (also a Yuasa) failed the cranking load test after 1 year 10 months and was replaced before a long trip. That bike had lots of electronic gadgets from the factory and a tiny battery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hi , after almost 2 years it looks that i need a new battery , please share your experience with your battery. Thanks
Mine is fine after 2 years, but I'm curious, do you park your bike for long periods of time without use - like during the cold winter months? and if so, do you use a battery tender?

Battery was replaced , the bike is like 19 months old.
Just to let you know , 12.8 volts at least should be on the battery terminals after a 30 min rest.
Mine was 12.35 volts and gave me a lot of trouble.
The bike was starting and dying , on and off.
Just to inform everyone that this battery is not dying completely like the old ones... , the starter is still cranking the motor but the fuel pump is not building enough presure to let it start.
Thanks

Being a dummy, I thought the starter motor would take more current than the fuel injection system.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 4 weeks later...
Mine started going south last fall. I charged it regularly. It quit holding a charge. Just replaced it this week. I bought one of the lithium ion batteries. Wow is that thing light, it feels like an empty plastic box when compared to the factory battery. Fifty percent more CCA and it has a tester built it to the battery. They are supposed to last twice as long as AGM batteries, time will tell. I will probably need to buy a new charger for the new battery.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...
...I will probably need to buy a new charger for the new battery...

Do they require a different charger than a regular battery tender?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

...I will probably need to buy a new charger for the new battery...
Lithium ion batteries have a different charge requirements that a lead acid or gel. The charger must not desulfate the battery. My battery tender charger is over twenty years old and I am unsure if it is safe to use on this type of battery. So I bought one from Amazon just for the lithium ion batteries. I will be buying more of this type of battery in the future. 
Kurt 

• Premium Member
Lithium ion batteries have a different charge requirements that a lead acid or gel. The charger must not desulfate the battery. My battery tender charger is over twenty years old and I am unsure if it is safe to use on this type of battery. So I bought one from Amazon just for the lithium ion batteries. I will be buying more of this type of battery in the future. 
Kurt 
Lithium Iron, LiFe or LiFePo are vehicle batteries 
Lithium ion batteries are those used in phones. They are two different technologies. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Kurt 
Lithium Iron, LiFe or LiFePo are vehicle batteries 
Lithium ion batteries are those used in phones. They are two different technologies. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCXC9AQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 
This is the battery I bought. Seller calls it lithium ion. 

Kurt