My project

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Pretty much closing in on finishing my vision of what the FJ09 should be (for me). My goals were to optimize the performance and touring potential of the platform while making it distinctive and unique. Less weight and more horsepower are always good!

Among my few complaints of the bike were the seat and the windshield. I added a Laminar lip to the windshield that I reshaped to a more aesthetically pleasing contour. Works well, no buffeting. I found the seat comfort to be really marginal so I had it re-foamed with a layer of memory foam, installed a heat element to keep my ass warm on cold rides and wrapped it in a custom cover. While I was at it, I fabbed a carbon-fiber seat cowl to replace the rear seat. My wife has her own (FZ09) and I otherwise don't need a pillion, hence the cowl, although I did pick up another rear seat off EBAY. For the same reason, I deleted the heavy passenger pegs and brackets, only installing small folding pegs in case of emergencies.

I eliminated the ugly OEM license plate hardware with a tidy plate holder and LED turn signal mounts. In addition to replacing all the large (and ugly IMHO) OEM turn signals, I installed a strobe tail light and quick disconnect LED running lights in the saddlebags. Up front, I added LED flush mount turn signals and LED handguard lights.
I didn't like the idea of spending over $240 bucks for heated OEM grips so I installed some $50 dollar Heat Demon heat elements under the stock grips--they work great and I get to use the softer grips that I prefer. Also, I'm not a fan of electronic cruise control (at least the one on my KTM 1290) and installed a simple Vista Cruise throttle lock, a simple install that works great.

Performance mods were a priority of course. I installed a full Arrow exhaust system (not too loud & big weight savings) and mated it to a 2-wheel Dyno re-map. RWHP is noticeably improved, as is general fueling. MPG remains outstanding. To better put the HP to the ground, I installed an Annitori Quick Shifter. This little piece of software/hardware is amazing. I love it!
With a mind towards shaving every pound of weight off the bike that I could without compromising utility or function, I replaced the heavy OEM battery with a Shorai Lithium. And mostly for bling but also for a bit of weight savings, I replaced the OEM rear-sets with a set of Chinese built rear sets from EBAY. (PITA to install, nice quality)....same for the wave rotors. Cosmetically, I thought the satin-black finish on the FJ's wheels completely obscured an otherwise pretty wheel design. Just a personal preference thing, I epoxy painted them a subdued bronze color. I think they look good with the wave rotors.
Another simple mod that I hope may save me some heartache later, I installed a bash-plate (made by one of our forum members, hart9204) to protect the vulnerable oil pan and drain bolt from impact. The protection plate was easy to install, looks good and is nicely engineered. I also did the flush mount Mazda drain plug and relief of the case casting.
I added some real carbon-fiber items, notably the front fender and clutch cover guard. I'm not real satisfied with the mix of real carbon-fiber and the OEM "faux" carbon-look stuff Yamaha used and will probably replace or overlay the fake stuff at some point. Some other bling items, a custom chain guard and Chinese foldable/extendable levers and also a set of custom, low profile rear grab handles.

What I haven't changed...and I'm on the fence about doing, is the suspension. I have "warmed" to the OEM bits after some break-in. The suspension isn't Ohlins for sure but, the bike doesn't do anything unseemly when ridden at 9/10ths. Maybe down the line.

I dieted about 24 LBS of bloat from the bike (but added a couple LBS back on) and the motorcycle now looks sleeker, shorter and leaner than a stocker. Performance, comfort, looks (IMO) and lighting is all improved. One thing I wish was available on this bike is an "on-the-fly" TCS disable mode. This bike is an awesome wheelie device and having to stop the bike to disable the TCS is a PITA.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the final result. In the last 50 years, I've had a lot of motorcycles. Bikes like R1's, RR's, Tuono, Concour, 1290 SA, FZ1, NSR, RD's etc. I don't think I've ever had a street bike as fun, versatile, comfortable and just plain entertaining as this "little" FJ. Perhaps because of its bargain price, one might dismiss this bike as a bit of an "entry-level" bike for beginning or intermediate riders. BS. This bike allows knee-dragging fun and will claw the front wheel into the air coming hard out of 3rd gear corners. The FJ can rail when asked to.

Sorry for the rambling narrative :)

• Supporting Member
Nice job on the bike, the rear seat cowl looks professionally done and the color matches perfectly.  You mentioned custom low profile grab handles, do you have any more info on those? 

I noticed your Oregon plates, I am across the border in Washington and I spend a LOT of time on your fantastic roads.  Whether the coastal range or the central/Eastern region, Oregon is motorcycling nirvana. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Nice job on the bike, the rear seat cowl looks professionally done and the color matches perfectly.  You mentioned custom low profile grab handles, do you have any more info on those?   
I noticed your Oregon plates, I am across the border in Washington and I spend a LOT of time on your fantastic roads.  Whether the coastal range or the central/Eastern region, Oregon is motorcycling nirvana.   

the grab rails were an ebay item and were listed for fitting both the FZ and the FJ......of course they didn't come close to fitting the FJ.   Took a fair amount of cutting, grinding and bending but eventually made them work.....I don't know if they ever corrected their fitment info. 
Oregon has some good roads but so does WA.....we frequently ride the Klickitat - St Helens area.....

• Premium Member
beautiful. I like the gold rearsets and the gold on the swingarm. It makes it look like the gold forks actually fit in with the bike.
Each to their own. The other mods are more subtle e.g. bronze wheels and I think the gold bits stand out too much for my taste. It's not my bike though - if it was the gold bits would not be gold for long due to my aversion to vehicle shampoo :)
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

beautiful. I like the gold rearsets and the gold on the swingarm. It makes it look like the gold forks actually fit in with the bike.
Each to their own. The other mods are more subtle e.g. bronze wheels and I think the gold bits stand out too much for my taste. It's not my bike though - if it was the gold bits would not be gold for long due to my aversion to vehicle shampoo....   :)
lol.....I've been accused of being a little blingy before:)

• Premium Member
Sweet looking bike. It's too pretty to take touring... ;) You'll get it dirty and scruffy looking.... :D

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Tell me more about the Chinese rearsets: about how much adjustment of your foot position from the stock location do they offer, and in which directions?  I'm about comfort, not speed and lowering my feet, maybe moving them forward to open up knee angle would be my objective.  Also, do the rearsets move your feet out and away from the bike much?  

Tell me more about the Chinese rearsets: about how much adjustment of your foot position from the stock location do they offer, and in which directions?  I'm about comfort, not speed and lowering my feet, maybe moving them forward to open up knee angle would be my objective.  Also, do the rearsets move your feet out and away from the bike much?  
the rear sets are unbranded and are listed on EBAY in different anodized colors. They come W/O instructions for mounting and it took me a bit to get them installed (I'm slow)....I've had several sets of quite expensive rear sets before--these are surprising quality for roughly $108 USD....   
as far as peg positioning, the lowest and furthest forward position is still slightly higher and further back than OEM. (i.e. "sportier") This suited me fine, coming off of sport bikes, but if you are looking for a set that moves your pegs lower and forward, these are not for you.  They do not move your boots outward any more than OEM. 

<snip>
as far as peg positioning, the lowest and furthest forward position is still slightly higher and further back than OEM. (i.e. "sportier") This suited me fine, coming off of sport bikes, but if you are looking for a set that moves your pegs lower and forward, these are not for you.  They do not move your boots outward any more than OEM. 
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.  I've had adjustable foot pegs on my FJ, that worked to lower my feet, but took them off because they moved my feet away from the rear brake/shift lever.  Ergos on the FJ are quite good as is, so I'm not complaining, just looking for a little improvement.

Are those wave rotors worth the money. I want to upgrade the brakes but think lines and pads are more realistic. Awesome bike you've built there
thanks......the rotors are basically cosmetic.....maybe a few ounces lighter (didn't weigh them) but not enough to feel..... 

• Supporting Member
I agree with you about the wheels, black obscures them too much.  I love that they match the bronze bits on the engine, too bad you cant apply the same color to the anodized rearsets and fork legs to match.

Did you use any special product or technique when painting the wheels? 
They look professionally done, like powder coating.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived