13,500 commuter miles 1-9-2017, update 25,000 12-11-2017

Just bought new tires at 13,403 miles, which totally blows my mind. Dunlop Roadsmart 2. I hope I get the same mileage. insane.png  Added the heated hand grips. YESSS!!!!! Thanks Youtuber installers! No issue other than cold start the last month or so.

Big thanks to everyone and their posts! 

Happy NewYear
Greg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice! Ive done mainly commuting with a few mountain trips thrown in there. I'm at 6000 miles and the very center of the stock rear tire is almost to the wear bar. I'm thinking I have about 1k miles before having to replace it so 13k is awesome!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

13,135 miles on my stockers. I could stretch them a little longer but will replace them over the winter. No sense chancing a crash just to get the last $2 worth of tire out of them.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Premium Member
To be clear, you got 13k miles out of the stock tires?! Miles, not kilometers?

Wow. My OEM rear was done at 5500 miles. Not exactly toast, but almost to the wear bars. My front lasted to 7000.

For me it was 13,135 good old American miles. I'm close to the wear bars but not actually there yet. Iffy if it would pass inspection.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Supporting Member
Eastern Oregon is my favorite destination for cheese grater roads.  I have so much fun out there that I don't mind the increased wear one bit.
Yes, Eastern Oregon is a wonderland to ride, most of Oregon is infact.  I will gladly trade tire life to be able to regularly ride there. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

all of the northwest rocks. Been all over out here from Death Valley To Jasper in Canada and endless weekend rides through Oregon and Washington. This is peak country for long rides with limited interruption. Its all pretty much a big win over the east coast where every piece of land is privately owned. I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY and have lived all over, this is the best. Whatever you do DONT move here :)

Now back on topic, I hated the stockers and removed them after 4k miles. At that point my rear was fairly tore up and since I didnt like them I went for a whole new set. Im a true believer in it matters most where the rubber meets the road and for the cost I love fresh rubbers. I want to know when Im pushing the limits if the backwoods that i dont have to worry about tire failure, explosive or just slipping.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

13,000 miles out of a set of motorcycle tires is just fundamentally wrong. ;) Isn't the purpose of riding a motorcycle to wear the sides of the tires off as quickly as possible?
Do you ever take the engine past 4,000 RPM? 13,000 miles on one set of tires on anything with more performance than a Harley is inconceivable to me.
If I get 4,500 miles out of a set of tires, I'm pleased. If I get 5,500 miles I'm ecstatic.
Congratulations. I think.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Supporting Member
I've got 10K kms on the clock (60% commute), so about the same... some 1mm+ to the wear bar. Hoping to squeeze one more season into these.
A full season out of 1mm tread depth?  Um, NNNNNNNnnnoooooooooooooooooooo!!!  For safety's sake, change those out soon, DO NOT gauge tire wear by the odometer.    

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
13,000 miles out of a set of motorcycle tires is just fundamentally wrong. ;) Isn't the purpose of riding a motorcycle to wear the sides of the tires off as quickly as possible? Do you ever take the engine past 4,000 RPM? 13,000 miles on one set of tires on anything with more performance than a Harley is inconceivable to me.
If I get 4,500 miles out of a set of tires, I'm pleased. If I get 5,500 miles I'm ecstatic.
I think these guys are just messing with you bentaero, when I ride the twisties my front tires are gone at around 4,500 max. And when I go cross country with a lot of straight roads my rear is done around 5,000 miles or so running dual compound sport touring tires. And I think building a trailer to save your tires is an excellent idea.

BLB

13,000 miles out of a set of motorcycle tires is just fundamentally wrong. ;) Isn't the purpose of riding a motorcycle to wear the sides of the tires off as quickly as possible? Do you ever take the engine past 4,000 RPM? 13,000 miles on one set of tires on anything with more performance than a Harley is inconceivable to me.
...I guess we all enjoy riding equally, but for different reasons. I can only imagine what one has to do to the bike to be able to rip their tires clean at 4,500 miles...., but it can't be just commuting. I am assuming the OP meant urban commute, busy freeway etc.. Frankly, of all the bikes out there, the FJ doesn't strike me as a road carving machine any more than the Versys ( :o )... but of course, it is much better at it.  ;) 
Aren't you building your trailer to save tires on your bike?... why else woul you cart it about?  :D
Yes, I believe the OP wrote that it was commuting miles. I suppose if you're doing nothing but the urban/freeway commute you'll get a lot of miles out of a tire. 
I never commute on a bike. I loath the thought of it. I won't ride without ATGATT, and I despise suiting up for a boring high-traffic, high-risk, short ride to work. Cost-per-mile in my sedan is cheaper, as well as obviously safer. I try to make 100% of my miles purely for enjoyment, and I live in the middle of a riding paradise, so why commute?

Speaking of that, that's exactly why I'm going to start using a trailer to haul the bike to events, especially during the heat of summer. If it's more than 10 hours or so away, I'll consider using the trailer. Of course it depends on where the destination is and what the roads are like getting there. If it's all twisties, I'll ride. But if I'm headed for example, to north Arkansas for an MSTA event, I'd rather trailer down I-40 and burn up the sides of the tires when I get there, than burn up the center of the tire getting there-and-back in 100+ degree heat.

My next Colorado trip will definitely be via trailer. I've rode to CO/NM/WY several times, always in June or July, and it's been 105-108 degrees F every freakin' time, making it miserable. I used to be totally anti-trailer, but I'm 'over that' ego issue. 
Keep Asheville weird!

...I never commute on a bike. I loath the thought of it. I won't ride without ATGATT, and I despise suiting up for a boring high-traffic, high-risk, short ride to work....
Unfortunately... about 90% of my riding is commuting.  I have a 2 year old and a wife that works too, so its had to find time to just joy ride.  I commute on my bike because I love riding and if I don't commute on it, I don't get to ride it. 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
...I never commute on a bike. I loath the thought of it. I won't ride without ATGATT, and I despise suiting up for a boring high-traffic, high-risk, short ride to work....
Unfortunately... about 90% of my riding is commuting.  I have a 2 year old and a wife that works too, so its had to find time to just joy ride.  I commute on my bike because I love riding and if I don't commute on it, I don't get to ride it.
I'm the opposite. Due to the nature of my job, commuting is not an option. So, any time I ride, it's for the sake of riding. I managed to put about 4K miles on it this year. Just judging from the wear so far, I think I'll be able to get a total of about 6K out of the rear. Half of those miles were racked up on two trips to the Smokey Mountains, and even though I stay off the interstates, I still managed to get a nasty flat spot in the center. My next set will be dual compound.