• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Seeking Advice for Installing Hella Supertone Dual Horns

I need REALLY LOUD horns for year-round commuting in the DC area. I used Stebel Nautilus air horns on my 07 Wee Strom for years. They were plenty loud three-season horns, but they didn't like cold weather and took a split second to load enough air to honk. They'd go back to a wimpy single tone in the cold, and I went through a couple of sets in the nine years I owned the Wee.

The Hella Supertone Dual Horns did well in the horns review in the April 2014 Motorcycle Consumer News (downloadable at www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/2014_04Horns.pdf), so I got a set to install on my 16 FJ, together with a Murph's wiring kit. They were on sale at Amazon for $40 or so.

The Hellas are electromagnetic diaphragm horns, so they should sound promptly and LOUD when the horn button is pushed, but they're pretty big @ 4.75" diameter. I want to install them horizontally between the forks and around the fairing level, like people are doing with the Stebel 80s. Since they'll be more or less just under the leading edge of the fairing and not really visible, they can overlap a bit if they don't fit too well side by side in the space.

Any advice before I get started with the installation? I searched the FJ forum for 'Hella horns' but didn't get any hits. TIA, PFJohns.

• Premium Member
I need REALLY LOUD horns for year-round commuting in the DC area. I used Stebel Nautilus air horns on my 07 Wee Strom for years. They were plenty loud three-season horns, but they didn't like cold weather and took a split second to load enough air to honk. They'd go back to a wimpy single tone in the cold, and I went through a couple of sets in the nine years I owned the Wee. 
The Hella Supertone Dual Horns did well in the horns review in the April 2014 Motorcycle Consumer News (downloadable at ), so I got a set to install on my 16 FJ, together with a Murph's wiring kit. They were on sale at Amazon for $40 or so.

The Hellas are electromagnetic diaphragm horns, so they should sound promptly and LOUD when the horn button is pushed, but they're pretty big @ 4.75" diameter. I want to install them horizontally between the forks and around the fairing level, like people are doing with the Stebel 80s. Since they'll be more or less just under the leading edge of the fairing and not really visible, they can overlap a bit if they don't fit too well side by side in the space.

Any advice before I get started with the installation? I searched the FJ forum for 'Hella horns' but didn't get any hits. TIA, PFJohns.

I recently upgraded to Stebel HF-80 and they are comparable is shape to the Hella units. 
Stebel HF-80 Upgrade

Used in combination with the OEM horn, they're extremely loud. Very happy with the results.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 2 months later...
This weekend, a friend and I finally installed the Hella dual Super Tone horns up under the front fairing, using the bracket that the original horn hangs on. My friend milled a couple of little hollow aluminum stalks/couplings for the Hellas to perch on, and we got slightly longer bolts to hang them on the horn bracket bolt holes. Murph's Kits sells a dual horn wiring kit called a "Stebel HF80 wiring harness" that works perfectly for the dual Hellas as well. The wiring kit cost $33 ppd and has outstanding brief instructions.

I kinda like how they look, at least for now; I call them my Commuter Hooters! If I change my mind about the looks, I'll spray them black and they'll disappear up under there.

OMG they're Hella LOUD! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???

My son thinks they're so loud that startled cagers may sue me for unleashing the din. I think they likely will save my life in daily year-round DC commuter traffic.

Here are a couple of images of my hooters. I couldn't upload the horn and wiring instruction pdf's but if anyone wants them, send me a PM.

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg
  • Thumbsup 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Supporting Member

Picked up the Hella Improved Loud sound Signature Red Grill Horn Set similar to PFJohns above. Will paint them to match my blue purple '17. Trying to figure out the wiring and whether or not the supplied relay will be needed. Can the stock horn wire provide enough oomph for the Dual Horns?

Hella Horns.jpg

Hella Horns Diagram.jpg

I doubt it, but you won’t know until you try. The advantage to using a relay is that battery power gets directly applied to the horn without any power loss due to the stock, smaller gauge wires. 
The other thing to consider is that over time, damage could occur to the stock wiring and more likely the horn switch.

better to do it right the first time, plus the LH switch assy has to be at least $100 bucks to replace (WAG) if it gets wrecked. Use #1 as ilanr1 mentioned.

hth,

skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 2

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member

With the bike torn apart for cruise control and GPS hard wiring, I installed my Hella Horn Set and a Fuzeblocks. Ordered a wiring harness for the horn online but all the connections were up front in a bunch. I took that harness apart, put the resistor in the back  and ran four wires up front. Black and red for the horns and black and white that got hooked up to the stock horn connectors, (after the stock horn was removed).

My wiring mirrors that of No3 in my previous post with the ground going back to the Fuzeblocks.  When I put the beak back on the horns wont be so noticeable.

BOY IS IT LOUD NOW.

Amatuer electrician here  so any recommendations welcomed if something looks off.

Hella Super Horns.jpg

FuzeBlocks.jpg

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

Do you have clearance from the front fender to the horns with the forks on full compression? 

Thanks Roadrash

The pic above was first attempt at mounting, I did move them higher later.

BTW....How many inches is full compression, 6"?

I'm more concerned about the electrical. The wiring harness came with an inline 30amp fuse. I put a 15amp in the fuzeblocks after I read this... The amperage draw of these horns is a combined 11 amps. Should the 15amp fuse be adequate?

The horns come with straps. I bent these straps and bundled a couple together to mount the horns to. There is two bolts on top of the fork securing a wiring mount bracket.... that now holds the horns on too.

Final horn placement.jpg

Horn bracket.jpg

Beak over Hirns.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

I came to the conclusion that my Hella Horns were to large. While they were OK for full turns right and left in the garage, I wasn't so confident while riding as they had a little vibration going on. For now I replaced them with a smaller set that claim 105db, whereas the Hella's claimed 110+/- 5db. The new ones sound almost as good and are a better fit.

The part number for the new ones is 204UN00301 and they were only $12.95 with free shipping on ebay.  They pic shows the test fit and I  need to sort the wires out. They did not come with a wiring harness but a huge improvement over stock.

Horns.jpg