Slowly I'm falling in love

natnaz13

• Supporting Member
I follow the "break it in like you will ride it" philosophy while not exceeding the recommended rpm limits.
You realize that statement is a HUGE contradiction... ;)    
I just went over 1,000 miles on my new bike.  2nd oil change and break in is done.  While I didn't take mine up to redline, I didn't ride it like a granny either.  I rode it like I normally would, using a good portion of the first 2/3 of the rev range on a regular basis, this engine is very comfortable and user friendly above 7K rpm. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
...yeah, break-in method is a topic one that can only be matched by one about which oil is best. :P ...I'm not touching this one with a 10' pole.
I hear ya, I'm will leave it alone myself...... 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Congrats on the new bike. I'm curious about your break-in philosophy. Are you with the drive it like a granny, break it in like you normally ride it or flog it like it deserves it school? I purchased a zero miles 2015 FJ-09 in mid January and the weather has just started improving enough for me to ride it. I'll post some information soon on my bike. I am following the manufacturers recommendation about the break-in period but there is lots of room for interpretation. I follow the "break it in like you will ride it" philosophy while not exceeding the recommended rpm limits and varying the riding to avoid constant speeds.
Thanks, I do ride it like I normally do anyway. I won't ride it like a hooligan but I love speed.Even after the initial 600 miles service I don't red line it and do like to ride the back roads so most times it is a spirited brisk pace. I don't like riding high ways and avoid them as much as I can. One of the reasons that I got the 2017 was for the slipper clutch and my last 2 bikes have had them so I didn't want to do without. 

Well there goes my option of adjusting the handle bars. I could swear i saw somewhere that i should be able to move it a few mm forward or backwards. On my ZX10 i am comfortable and it doesn't hurt my back or wrist. I guess after riding sport bikes for the past 20 yrs i'm used to the sitting position.
Take a look at this thread on risers, it appears that some have added risers w/o changing cables & brake lines. Paladin installed some SW-Motech offset risers with not too much trouble it appears.
http://fj-09.org/thread/1095/yamaha-tracer-billet-handlebar-risers?page=3

Thanks for the heads up.

I was about to call you a wimp for trailering it home when I read your comment about the cold. I guess everybody isn't in the So Cal desert like me where it's already hit 100 degrees this month! Perfect for riding all year round...but in the summer when it's 120 we head straight up to the mountains. Ride safe! I really dig that white color as well. (But not as much as my red, ha.)
 The day that I wanted to get a ride and go pick up the bike and ride it back it started snowing and the next day there were a lot of salt and chemicals on the road. Not a good idea for a brand new bike. You guys in Cali are spoiled with great weather almost every day. Little envy

a few people have moved the bars without changing the cables. I have seen some reports that it was fine and others that had issues with cables wearing through and breaking. It is up to you how you roll but I do have short arms and needed more than a couple mm. YMMV
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Congrats!!! I really love the white (but I am a fan of white bikes).

Not sure about the bar moving thing. I'm only short 5'5" and 60kgs and don't have any trouble with the bar height or reach.

Hope you get your bar sorted and Enjoy the ride!!

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Congrats!!! I really love the white (but I am a fan of white bikes). 
Not sure about the bar moving thing. I'm only short 5'5" and 60kgs and don't have any trouble with the bar height or reach.

Hope you get your bar sorted and Enjoy the ride!!

You could have a longer reach than me. Today i went for a 250 miles group ride that was for most part awesome. Half way through the ride my right wrist started hurting and my thumb was super numb. Now I'm sure it was a combination of the new bike and me getting used to it's riding position that could have been a factor for my wrist hurting.

I don't know if It will be worth it for me to spend the money and get a  different handle bar .
This morning after the first stop I started to get to know the bike and was using the A mode and the traction was on 2. I got comfortable with it to where i rode her like I ride my ZX10 and WoW! This bike can keep up with the liter bikes and goes through corners like it is a only made to do that. 

I noticed it it does pick up more rock chips on the radiator and tonight I did order the Yamaha radiator guard which should be here this week.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived