Givi vs. Shad

So I'm deep in the throes of agonizing over which top case to put on my bike and I compared the two 40ltr options from Givi and Shad.  The results really surprised me, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

The givi case carries several times more (22lbs vs 6lbs), weights half as much (under 10lbs vs over 13lbs) and is $15 cheaper, even thought it has 3 parts vs Shad's 2.  Since neither Givi nor Shad provides you the weight of these items on their webpages, I had to pull them from 3rd party vendors on amazon.  

Is it possible that these specs are all wrong or is Givi really THAT much of a better option?

• Premium Member
My Givi cases came with a catalog that lists all the weights - if you tell me the exact model I can tell you what Givi claims. I weighed mine and they are exactly what Givi states they are.
I really like the new Dolomiti cases. They look sweet!
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

If you're considering Givi, I recommend checking out this site:  http://tourandride.com/

I had emailed the Givi support line a question a few months ago, and they responded with an answer and a link to this site.  For some reason, everything Givi is around 10% off or more compared to Revzilla and others.  I just ordered the Outback 42L top case for $364 compared to $410 on Revzilla and a $485 MSRP.  The site does list the weight in their spec list: 13.29 lbs. for the Outback.  (It is heavier and more expensive than other options, but I think it looks awesome so I went for it!)

It might sway you towards the Givi if you can save that additional $$$.

I had a Shad SH-48 on my FJR and loved it. Carried a damn barbecue in it on a camping trip and definitely went over the limit. Best thing I liked over the Givi is you don't need to key to open it. You just lock it when you want. Plus it was cheaper. Very good quality too.
2016 FJ09

I had givi v47nnt (from my previous bike). the givi mounting rack is a bit problematic. there were several issues with broken tail piece. I changed to the new shad expendable sh58x which changes size and litres capacity and in its smallest diemension is very aerodynamic.

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

I changed to the new shad expendable sh58x....
Sounds as if that could be an expensive topbox if you throw it away each time  :D

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

If you're considering Givi, I recommend checking out this site:  http://tourandride.com/ 
I had emailed the Givi support line a question a few months ago, and they responded with an answer and a link to this site.  For some reason, everything Givi is around 10% off or more compared to Revzilla and others.  I just ordered the Outback 42L top case for $364 compared to $410 on Revzilla and a $485 MSRP.  The site does list the weight in their spec list: 13.29 lbs. for the Outback.  (It is heavier and more expensive than other options, but I think it looks awesome so I went for it!)

It might sway you towards the Givi if you can save that additional $$$.
holy shi'ite that site is clutch. I was doing all kinds of exotic ebay via amazon horseshit to find a US distributor for kappa cases. Thank you very much!

My Givi cases came with a catalog that lists all the weights - if you tell me the exact model I can tell you what Givi claims. I weighed mine and they are exactly what Givi states they are. I really like the new Dolomiti cases. They look sweet!
you don't have specs for these Kappa cases do you?  

http://www.kappamoto.com/cases/Monokey-Side/K33N

I'm less concerned about the weight on these than what they actually look like on the bike (i.e. are they wider than the handlebars).

• Premium Member
Kappa & Givi

Same company - often same moulds.

Givi tend to use fancier materials and finishes e.g. the Givi version might have a textured finish rather than plain. Givi may offer more bling with posher reflectors, lights and power sockets. This allows Kappa to offer cost savings. 

Some products are unique to each brand. I have a mixture of Kappa & Givi luggage. Their Monokey system is excellent and the panniers last decades. I'm using a topbox on the Tracer that was bought secondhand in 1996 when I had a TDM850. I also like their tanklock system for tank bags. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
My Givi cases came with a catalog that lists all the weights - if you tell me the exact model I can tell you what Givi claims. I weighed mine and they are exactly what Givi states they are. I really like the new Dolomiti cases. They look sweet!
you don't have specs for these Kappa cases do you?  

http://www.kappamoto.com/cases/Monokey-Side/K33N

I'm less concerned about the weight on these than what they actually look like on the bike (i.e. are they wider than the handlebars).

My Givi catalog doesn't have Kappa products.  The only 33L Givi boxes are the B33NMK at 3.2 kg per box and the Trekker 33L at 3.8Kg.

Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Quick update for all the bros that helped out with this. I ordered the dolomitis from Tour and Ride last Thursday. The sales rep chatted with me via their website and was very helpful. He/she even hooked me up with Kappa mounting hardware (rather than the givi mounting hardware) for the dolomitis which saved me about $100. The total for everything was $761 with free shipping in the US. All things considered, I don't think you'll find a better deal for top-loading side cases anywhere. (Unless you want to wait until next year when the Kappa version of these come out which will be significantly cheaper.)

The cases arrived today and they actually look really sharp. I was initially not attracted at all to the camera-case aluminum design of these and so hadn't even considered buying them, but now that they're here and I see how solid they are I'm glad I got them. The silver is way less shiny in person that in pictures too, which is a good thing, imo. I actually think it will match the matte silver on the bike very well.

Still waiting on the mounting hardware. It will probably be in tomorrow. After I get everything set up I'll post pictures.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Kappa & Givi 
Same company - often same moulds.

Givi tend to use fancier materials and finishes e.g. the Givi version might have a textured finish rather than plain. Givi may offer more bling with posher reflectors, lights and power sockets. This allows Kappa to offer cost savings. 

Some products are unique to each brand. I have a mixture of Kappa & Givi luggage. Their Monokey system is excellent and the panniers last decades. I'm using a topbox on the Tracer that was bought secondhand in 1996 when I had a TDM850. I also like their tanklock system for tank bags. 
I've been using Givi on my past 4 bikes.  It looks like the Kappa Monokey will fit on my Givi Monokey top plate (heck the plates LOOK identical to me).  Anyone know if this is true?  Thanks. 

• 1 month later...
I changed to the new shad expendable sh58x....
Sounds as if that could be an expensive topbox if you throw it away each time  :D
yes its very very nice and beautiful, i can throw there whatever i like. I strongly suggest it 

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

Archived