Intent to Recall - lower handlebar holder issue

cabbs5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@joeszup Mine still comes up with 0 recalls as well..

The NHTSA site states that it may not report recalls for VINs of "Very recently announced safety recalls for which not all VINs have been identified".

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
The NHTSA site states that it may not report recalls for VINs of "Very recently announced safety recalls for which not all VINs have been identified".
Ah, I didn't see that "Very recently ... " message.  Thanks.

Ah, I didn't see that "Very recently ... " message.  Thanks.
I would just check periodically.

Also, Yamaha has 60 days (I think it's 60) from the announcement of the recall to notify the owners of all affected vehicles.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Too funny.

Recall on the handlebar mount.. but nothing on the CCT.

Lawyers are funny folks when you breed them with bean counters. ;)

I have not tried to removed my FJ09 handle bar mounts, but on my FZ01, a 2006 model, when I "upgraded" to Rizoma mounts and a "ProTaper" set of bars, the stock risers broke off when I removed them. The bike had less than 5k on it, and the bolts just sheared right off when I tried to remove them.

ON the FZ01, the risers are rubber isolated, a bushing is pressed into the upper tree, and the handle bars mount via those bushings. The bolt is normal, but the nut has a "locking" effect, not a nylock style, but IIRC, it was a pinched rolled top edge. Some of the suspension nuts have a metal clip that's held in place by rolling the nut flange top down to retain it, and that "hard steel" clip engages with the bolt threads, and limits it's ability to back off loose. (Same way a nylock nut would work, only heat resistance is better I'd assume.)

What's crazy is the Rizoma bar risers came with nice stainless hardware, but I put one in place, and decided to remove it.. Big mistake. The threads had locked up? I ended up shearing off the first after market bolt, had to go source new stainless bolts, and this time around, used nylock stainless nuts, and the right sized allen head bolt for the Rizoma risers.

Never had a problem again.

Sometimes I've seen bolts and nuts that look great, but were not heat treated right, and they fail in ways they should never appear to fail, but metal is strange stuff when it's done wrong, and it's either so hard it's brittle, or soft so it twists up like a pretzel, and either way, the part fails to stay where you put it when the bolt and nuts are not doing what they are designed to do.

ARP does a great job on most bike/car/engine/suspension bolts, but if you really want to see anal bolt retention, get involved in the aircraft industry! LOl Single parts are machined, serialized and tracked as they are used. And replaced on a schedule even if they have zero signs of failure and would pass any dye or x-ray test you might subject them too.

What's fun is sometimes you can pick up an entire tool box drawer full of "replacement" bolts and nuts that never failed, and can't be used again, but have to be replaced just because they might fail according to the design of the part. (And if they fail, the plane goes down in flames or as a large lawn dart... So, the bolts are cheap v/s crashing...)

One more word of caution. The industry has really changed I've found over the past 20 years. I've seen "grade 8" bolts out of China that are no such thing. Be very cautious of your local supply stores, especially the big box ones. Much of what they sell is cheap garbage that is not heat treated right or held to the tolerances that it should have been.

ARP and a few others are trusted suppliers, but even then, if your life depends on it, testing a sample to failure is cheap insurance. So, in that respect, I have to say nice work Yamaha. If these bolts/studs were not done right, and could fail, having your steering suddenly come loose is pretty dangerous. And upgrading the parts or bolts is cheap insurance v/s a life.

Archived