First add-ons

I pick my FJ up on Saturday and already looking at the first items I think I will need. I have a decent set of Coretech soft bags from my last bike so I'm looking at soft bag "brackets". I like the idea of the removable Yamaha ones but (and I run into this with everything I look at) I have a hard time dropping $100+ on couple metal bars, brackets and screws...on the other hand I don't think I could make something that looked good and was removable.

The next thing is a backrest for my wife. I saw the seargent but $350...wow! If I am spending that much would it be more worth going with a padded top box? I have a soft tail bag with my current set but see no way to use it while two up without a rack and I am not sure that would even really work. I think for that much money I would be more inclined to go with a box.

Are there other options I am not finding in my searches online that folks might recommend I look at?

Thanks...pumped for Saturday when I pick up the new ride!

• Supporting Member
Are there other options I am not finding in my searches online that folks might recommend I look at?
On any new bike I get, the first thing I always do is set up the ergonomics FOR ME.  I usually hate the bend of stock handlebars and these are no different.  I am also a fan of Pazzo adjustable levers.  After adjusting your bars and levers, adjust your shift and brake pedal height, getting those correct makes a huge difference.
Yamaha makes factory heated grips which are FANTASTIC! and depending on the type of riding that you do I HIGHLY recommend the MCCruise.
General consensus is that the stock wind screen SUCKS, plan on trying a few different designs.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I put a backrest on until I got a topbox.
https://fj-09.org/thread/3229/passenger-back-rest-options

Backrest made by Bestem - bestemusa.com/ and bestem.com.au/
The model I used was "VTX1300/1800 Driver back".  On sale for $44 AUD.
http://www.bestemusa.com/search.asp?keyword=VT&search=

It bolted on to the $75 USD Chinese rack. http://www.ebay.com/itm/252527871902

Worked fine.

I would get the top box with a back rest. I'm pretty short so the stock windscreen was too tall, so I picked up a CalSci tinted shorty (love it). I haven't gotten around to replacing the seat yet but its on my "to do" list.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
I think that the only essential add-on is mirror extenders. They cost $30 and they let you see behind. Without them you can only see sideways.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

They were the first things I added to mine.  The original mirrors not only drove me nuts but it was potentially dangerous.  I immediately got the Kubalinks for $35.00.  Problem solved!  Plus they are wearing well and look totally factory.  
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Premium Member
In no particular order

Flash your ECU
Tune the suspension to you (or you and your wife if that's how you will be primarily riding)
Mirror extenders
New windshield
New seat

I had no issues with the bike in my short test ride. Saturday when I ride it home will be a good hour and I may feel otherwise. I'm coming from a heavy cruiser with little to no wind protection so this bike already feels like rocket to me and wind protection *seemed* decent. I'm trying to decide how to invest for my wife's comfort: just a back rest and use side saddles or a top box. Traditionally we have never really gone on super long multi-day rides so luggage is not a big concern to start. Might check out suncoaster's setup and try that. I do need to come up with some stand offs for my soft bags. Are there any others like Yamaha's that disconnect and can be stowed when not in use?

• Premium Member
I'm trying to decide how to invest for my wife's comfort: just a back rest and use side saddles or a top box. ... I do need to come up with some stand offs for my soft bags. Are there any others like Yamaha's that disconnect and can be stowed when not in use?
That is up to your preference and budget. I went with a 39L top box that includes a back rest. I bought it for $50 at JC Whitney. It isn't available anymore but they still have the smaller 31L version. It isn't as nice as the Givi's and such, but it costs only $32. Several of us, myself included, fabricated our own soft bag stand-offs. That was before Yamaha released their detachable ones. I don't know of any others that detach easily.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Archived