Exhaust Question from an Old Fuddy-duddy

phpaul

• Supporting Member
@phpaul - While this is totally a 'personal choice' topic, I'm aligned with several of the other comments that exhaust updates are a very low priority on my list of modifications. The stock FJ exhaust looks fine, runs great with an ECU reflash, and - most important to me - is quiet and unobtrusive. Too much of my riding is in populated suburban areas, and a loud exhaust just draws unwanted attention while trying to unwind the few fun roads of a master-planned subdivision.
And please don't get me started on the 'loud pipes save lives' topic... Attentive riding saves a lot more.
I dropped the money on top-end suspension components, and get to take advantage of that investment every time I ride my FJ. An aftermarket exhausted? Not for me...

I flashed my FZ-09, not because I needed more hp or torque or even the speed limit set by Yamaha, but because it was such a hard bike to ride in the twisties with the on/off throttle set up it came with. For smoothness, re-flashing is the best solution and I recommend it for anyone having trouble with their bike's throttle whether it is a FZ, FJ or whatever. BUT, if you are not racing, re-flashing for 4 hp isn't going to do much for you when you are riding on the street and therefore is a waste of money. Changing your exhaust for more hp also doesn't equal any great return, esp. if you don't re-flash and therefore isn't a good return on your money. Now if you are looking for bragging rights, you must do these changes or you will not be cool. And if you like the change in sound, that's another good reason to do the change. Also valid is that it is just fun to make changes and see the results. Last and most annoying point is to lose 40 lbs for a 4 hp gain.

Here is another point. When riding with your buddies, you will note that you all have different bikes with various hp/torques and it doesn't seem to make much difference, you have a great time, especially if you ride at about the same PACE. If your buddies have R1's and you have an R6 you still have a race, especially if you are a better rider and the going is very twisty. RIGHT? Do some track days and you will see that hp and torque really don't mean much unless you are racing and maximum speed is the issue.

What I feel is missing in these threads is the why's, and how these "improvements" are effecting the riders on their rides. Nobody seems to write about that. Wonder why?

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Between a Corbin seat, Higdonion crash bars, radiator guard and a couple of smaller goodies, I've already spent well over $1000 on mods to an $11,000 bike.   
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but my question is this:  If you set aside appearance and sound (I'm fine with the stock system on both counts) what is the actual gain from dropping another grand on an exhaust system?  The only thing I can think of would be a horsepower/torque gain with an appropriate ECU flash (there goes another $300...).

Am I missing something?

No, you have it covered. Any power gains would be minimal. Perhaps lose a few pounds but system is so low on bike, effect would also be minimal. Some hope for a deeper tone, a less bulky catalytic converter and cleaner exhaust tip. And some people enjoy spending money on their bike, making changes that personalize it as their own. You seem finished with yours. Enjoy.

No, you have it covered. Any power gains would be minimal. Perhaps lose a few pounds but system is so low on bike, effect would also be minimal. Some hope for a deeper tone, a less bulky catalytic converter and cleaner exhaust tip. And some people enjoy spending money on their bike, making changes that personalize it as their own. You seem finished with yours. Enjoy.
  I do want to get a tail tidy and get that hemorrhoid off the rear fender, but yeah, I'm pretty happy the way it is.

I am so very happy with the way Yamaha set up the FJ.   The existing headers are absolutely beautiful and better looking than any of the aftermarket straight pipes, IMO.  The exhaust muffler and CAT are hidden well and low for good weight positioning.  That's a million dollar design, which you don't get with aftermarket.  

Personally, I think Yamaha did an okay job with the factory exhaust, but I don't necessarily like that it terminates under the riders feet. I would rather it reach the back of the bike as it does on my FJR. The reason is because when I start the bike up on a cold morning, you can see the condensation coming out of the exhaust and it all floats straight up into the riders face, whereas on the FJR its well behind me and the bike. I just don't want to breathe the bikes exhaust vapors at a stop light.

• Premium Member
Between a Corbin seat, Higdonion crash bars, radiator guard and a couple of smaller goodies, I've already spent well over $1000 on mods to an $11,000 bike.   
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but my question is this:  If you set aside appearance and sound (I'm fine with the stock system on both counts) what is the actual gain from dropping another grand on an exhaust system?  The only thing I can think of would be a horsepower/torque gain with an appropriate ECU flash (there goes another $300...).
Am I missing something?you want to improve performance loose weight and take a rider training course! ?
Recently I did both... I was having a ball before and... I'm still having a ball!

A wise... old ride once told me if

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

I never had any intention of replacing the stock exhaust.  I actually Iove the appearance of the stock pipes plus I think they sound just fine which is fairly quiet and somewhat throaty.  When I saw that the popular systems were a $1000 + I liked the stock exhaust even more.  I was never a fan of loud pipes.  I had a set of Jardine pipes on my 82 920 Virago.  They sounded pretty good around town (no where near Harley good) but were annoying as hell on the road.  They lasted about a month.  I'd much rather put $1000 toward a better suspension or cruise control. 
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• 3 weeks later...
Guest autobiker
In stock form, I cannot even enjoy the triple's power to the fullest. My priorities are fixing the abrupt on-off throttle and bargain-bin suspensions (causing all sorts of shenanigans such as the dreaded front-end wobble). Spend your grand on fixing them (ECU flash and suspension upgrades) and you'll be able to enjoy the bike much more than if you swapped in an aftermarket exhaust.

The sound of an aftermarket exhaust is intoxifying but at speed it can drone and be uncomfortable to your ears, or someone elses. I had the IXIL on and some riders wouldn't ride to my right because of the sound. I've changed to a stock setup.

Archived