Fueling problems

• 2 weeks later...
US bikes do not have the CO feature the EU bikes have...I also may have heard the newest 2017(+) bikes in the EU may/may not have that anymore...in the US only the dealership has a fancy smancy tool to adjust the CO...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 2 months later...
It may be that I am finally learning how to ride my FJ-09 at 1900 miles (how different from my previous Bandit 1250) but it seems like the ecu is also learning my riding throttle use as well.  The off idle response is much improved, more linear, requires much less clutch finesse. Sound of exhaust a tad deeper and less frentic as well. Still some "hunting" though, and surging at steady throttle low speed in first, second and third gear. This bike is more of a charger, does not like to ride steadily in city limits at 25-30 mph in any gear. At low speeds, my FJ seems to prefer acceleration or deceleration, no cruising along under 35 mph, regardless of gear selection. Is it just mine?

It may be that I am finally learning how to ride my FJ-09 at 1900 miles (how different from my previous Bandit 1250) but it seems like the ecu is also learning my riding throttle use as well.  The off idle response is much improved, more linear, requires much less clutch finesse. Sound of exhaust a tad deeper and less frentic as well. Still some "hunting" though, and surging at steady throttle low speed in first, second and third gear. This bike is more of a charger, does not like to ride steadily in city limits at 25-30 mph in any gear. At low speeds, my FJ seems to prefer acceleration or deceleration, no cruising along under 35 mph, regardless of gear selection. Is it just mine?
It is all about how your engine is tuned, or not tuned.  I have 2WDW reflash, and search threads to adjust APS, accelerator position sensor, and now my engine is smooth all the way from idle to red line, doesn't matter what gear or RPM it is in.   
Reports on Kev's controller is also good.  The engine does smooth out after break-in miles.

• Supporting Member
I had thought about buying Kev's O2 controller
If you cant get into the DIAG mode to adjust CO, then Kev's O2 controller is a viable option, it does make a very noticeable difference.  As mentioned previously, adjusting the APS a few digits lower as well as 2WDW ECU flash also make a huge difference. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I've not had my FJ for very long, just had the 600 mile service done.  I've noticed the surging more and more in the last week.  The dealer said I can leave it with them and they will contact Yamaha.  I didn't, told them I would wait a week or 2.  Has anyone had this taken care of under the warranty?

I have not read any reports of dealers fixing the surging problem under warranty, you probably have to go with after market electronic add-ons like Kev's controller or ECU reflash, and APS adjustment. All the info you need is on this forum, just search for it.

https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment
This is APS adjustment thread.

Two more ideas, throttle body synch may help, but some guys can go 8,000 miles before it needs to be done, some guys need it at 600 miles.

One of the big improvements is a reflash to  turn off the air injection system. IF  I remember correctly the air injection system can also cause surging as the ECU changes back and forth from open to closed mode.  I cannot remember the details, but that will send you looking in the right direction.  Hopefully, someone with better memory and saved links will post up better info for you.

I have not read any reports of dealers fixing the surging problem under warranty, you probably have to go with after market electronic add-ons like Kev's controller or ECU reflash, and APS adjustment. All the info you need is on this forum, just search for it. 
https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment
This is APS adjustment thread.

Two more ideas, throttle body synch may help, but some guys can go 8,000 miles before it needs to be done, some guys need it at 600 miles.

One of the big improvements is a reflash to  turn off the air injection system. IF  I remember correctly the air injection system can also cause surging as the ECU changes back and forth from open to closed mode.  I cannot remember the details, but that will send you looking in the right direction.  Hopefully, someone with better memory and saved links will post up better info for you.

Good summary.  I just did Kev's Controller and that did the trick. Easy to install as well. I have 10,000km and the surging is gone 

Archived