My new daily driver

nsmiller

So long S4, you served me well. 

Hello S8. Samsung did a great job on this new phone.

Picture_1.jpg

Some thoughts:
-Does having a cell phone (like the S8) which is supposedly waterproof make it more usable as a GPS device when riding through rain on a motorcycle?

-Will having Bluetooth 5.0 mean better connection for music and talking to my Sena?

-Will their new assistant 'Bixby' be able to send text messages via voice command from my Sena while riding down the road?

Hmmm.... might need to do some testing in the near future.

I use my Galaxy S7 Active as a GPS on my motorcycle all the time. Longest ride in the rain with it was 300 miles with no problems.
I've done the same with my S4, but while moving down the road the phone's position on my bars stays dry from the windscreen. If I had to stop for an extended period in a downpour I'm sure it would have complained.

• Premium Member
I use my Moto X play all the time for maps. it's water resistant, and has gotten wet many times.
Like nsmiller said, the windshield protects it well at speed, but slower riding it does get wet.

I use my Galaxy S7 Active as a GPS on my motorcycle all the time. Longest ride in the rain with it was 300 miles with no problems.
I've done the same with my S4, but while moving down the road the phone's position on my bars stays dry from the windscreen. If I had to stop for an extended period in a downpour I'm sure it would have complained.

I was driving hiway through small towns the whole way. The phone got drenched and was still ok.

• Premium Member
I personally will never buy another phone that isn't waterproof. I'm pretty rough on my phones and I like knowing it won't be destroyed by being shoved in sweaty pockets, taken in the shower, smeared with sauce while cooking, used on the motorcycle in Oregon in November, etc.

I'm currently 2.5 years into a Kyocera Duraforce. It has its quirks but the thing is bombproof. I had a negative experience with a Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro, but it's been enough time I'm almost willing to give them another try.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the S7 too, what kind of bracket do you use to fasten it to the bike ?

• Supporting Member
I have the S7 too, what kind of bracket do you use to fasten it to the bike ?
I've been using the RokForm mount and case for my iPhone 6, and it works flawlessly.   They have cases for the full line of Samsung and Apple phones, and the twist-lock mount with magnetic hold is quick, simple, and secure.   That said, it doesn't come cheap...  The mount and phone case combination is about $150.  

https://www.rokform.com/pages/motorcycle-mounts

For me, it's been worth the investment.  YMMV... 

I use a RAM mount x-grip attached to ram ball on my steering stem nut, but others have used a clutch/brake cover.

Worked for my S4, and also works for my S8. Although the larger size of the S8 does mean I have to position the phone more precisely to be able to see it for navigation and also my speedometer, etc.

The RAM mount is absolutely secure for holding any phone. It's not letting go even under large bumps and vibration.

Link to RAM mount

Archived