Are Wheelies Bad For You Or Your Bike?

Saw this on the home news page this morning and thought it was a pretty cool video. For FJ pilots, it's really only a matter of time... :)

link

I like MC Garage.. especially their how to videos

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

The real question should be how hard are wheelies on your wallet ifyou screw up. That includes hospital bills, loss of skin or other body parts, loss of work after loosing control at high speeds.

The real question should be how hard are wheelies on your wallet ifyou screw up. That includes hospital bills, loss of skin or other body parts, loss of work after loosing control at high speeds.
Don't phuck up :)

'15 FJ09

Debbie Downer? Oh, hello there. 

Debbie Downer? Oh, hello there.

On some bike, wheelies cause oil to not flow thru engine anymore. Not sure about the FJ-09/FZ-09, but the SV650 can blow up if you do long wheelies.

All the oil will collect in the back and stop pumping thru the engine, so mega long one mile or longer wheelies could do damage.

If you are doing one mile wheelies, you need to call Travis Pastrana at Nitro Circus and change careers.

20111231-redbull-nolimits-01-travis-pastrana.jpg

• Premium Member
Don't know if they're bad for my bike because I only do them when I'm on someone else's bike.  :P

And I don't think wheelies are that dangerous compared to something like commuting in city traffic.
BLB

As wheelie-happy as the FZ/FJ are, I'm sure there would be a lot of feedback on the forums regarding oil sump issues related to wheelies if there were any.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Has anyone ever seen fork seals blow out due to wheelies? I have never seen it happen. I wonder if it is really just a myth. Usually, forks or shocks just hydro-lock for an instant. Blowing out seals may happen, but only in very extreme situations. My guess would be some oil would be pushed out, but seals not actually damaged because they are very elastic. Look at how high dirt bike jump and land without problems.

Archived