Top case luggage questions... Why not Yamaha? Kappa?

• Premium Member
I know, yet another luggage thread... I have been reading luggage threads intermittently and finally am ready to pull the trigger, and buy one. I had a few questions though, and thought I would pick your collective brain.

1. A lot of talk about after market luggage options. Yamaha's 50L top case is $300, that's pretty competitive (unlike their small and expensive side cases). Their mount is a bit pricey at $176 though. Any particular reason almost every one here goes aftermarket - Givi/Kappa, Shad, etc? It seems that all options are about the same price - $450-500 range for approx. 50L top case setup. Kappa might be a bit cheaper. E.g. Shad mount is $50 cheaper (125 vs 176 for Yamaha), but their 50L case (SH50) is more expensive than Yamaha's.

2. I need to be able to carry my laptop to work - the main reason for the luggage. It's an old 15" laptop. The laptop bag is about 16"x13". I know most top cases take quite a large volume but they are kinda rounded. Can a sub-50L top case can fit the awkward rectangle dimensions of a laptop bag? I'm pretty sure that any top case would take all my riding gear - jacket/over pants/helmet/gloves and still have space left over - correct?

3. For those who know about the Kappa cases. What the heck is the difference between the Monolock and Monokey cases? It seems that the Monolock are simply smaller. They all seem kinda rounded too - any guesses if they can take a rectangle 16"x13" laptop bag? They are a lot cheaper than the Shad and Givi cases, which are pretty close to Yamaha prices.

4. Is it true, Yamaha's luggage locks can be keyed with the bikes keys - but only if a dealer install?

5. Does the red on the Yamaha top case really look as obnoxious as it does it in the pics? The bike is a matt grey, and the red doesn't seem to be very subtle.

I have been missing some glorious riding days when I have had to take my laptop to work. Somebody - help a brother get some miles this summer and nudge me to get some frickin' luggage!

Hi. I would recomend to go Shad or Givi route. I had installed OEM Yamaha 50l top case with OEM Yamaha rear carrier. This week I bought Givi V35 side cases and side carrier. I planned to combine those two bit it was imposible because distancers of Yamaha carrier. So I decided to change all and (lucky for me dealer had it on stock) bought Givi Maxia 4 56l top case. I went for 56l because next lower size is 47l.
I have to mention this Yamaha carrier is total garbage. It has 8 mounting positions and you have to drill bodywork below seat to fasten it plus Yamaha 50l top case has banana shape so it losses some space when you have stright lines object to store like 17' laptop. PS Yamaha lock (which you have to buy separetely) can be matched to your key - instructions included just follow it and you don't need dealer.

730c7f72b04815777f361ff3c8dd885e.jpg0726c14fb154f50f8ef9f3b11da994d2.jpga7adb81f6d94e5d4e0f56f3f748306d1.jpg

• Premium Member
Wow! Thanks for your awesome replies everyone. Surprised to hear the Yamaha stuff was a disappointment - but relieved nonetheless, as there seem to be so many cheaper, and better options out there.

Suncoaster - those pictures are unbelievably helpful! That is exactly what I need it for. And of course to dump my gear in, when I get to work.

Prepa - those pics are awesome, and the Givi case looks as awesome - I just don't know if I can spend that money with the Kappa costing over a hundred$ less.

I think I'm pretty set on going the Kappa/Givi route. The Kappa Monokey are supposed to be waterproof and not a lot more expensive than the Monolock. E.g. K49 is 18$ more than the K47, and they are both 47L. That is on the Tour & Ride website. But the site that you mentioned in your post i.e. motostorm in Italy has them for much cheaper. They do not however have the bike specific racks. I almost feel like picking up the case from Motostorm in Italy, and the rack from Tour & Ride here in the US - or would that be a real dick move?
Heck the K49 is going to cost me 164$ including shipping from Italy, but costs 224 here (free shipping). Even the 56L Givi Maxia 4 that prepa posted will cost $284 if I were to buy it from Motostorm in Italy including shipping. The price difference is huge between the US Tour&Ride store and having it shipped from Motostorm in Italy. Not sure what the pros and cons are from buying from one vs the other. The last thing I want is to be hit with import duty in which case it may end up costing more!

I used an ebay rack - https://fj-09.org/thread/3787/aluminium-rack.   The plate that came with the top box bolted straight on. 

Just fitted one of these (see here-clicky ) - excellent, strong enough to stand on, if that's your thing! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
The deed is done! But as usual, once I'm buying stuff, I get carried away!
Bought the Kappa K49 top case, along with some extra crap I didn't need - Givi Frame protectors as well as the Radiator protectors. Flat rate shipping $32.54 to the US, so I went nuts. Prices were a lot less than here in the US.
KAPPA TOP BOX K49 TECH MONOKEY SYSTEM $ 132.43
GIVI PR2122 Radiator Protector $ 66.21
GIVI TN2122 Engine Guards $114.04
Shipping $32.54
Found the "eBay" rack on amazon, and bought that. Was actually cheaper ($85.88 w/free shipping) - same pictures and description, so hopefully the same thing. Only problem is the shipping time - estimated delivery 6/30-7/24 - now that's a wide shipping window!
Will post pics and installation when I receive them.
Thanks to all of you for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
This is a timely thread.  I just got my '16 FJ-09 this past Tuesday.  Took them a few hours to get the bike set up. So I perused the Top Case section and thought I had my top case picked out.  Now I'm not so sure.  I've searched and found some info on Givi Monokey vs. Monolock.  My question is, does anyone have the Monolock and are they happy with it? I can get the E450 pretty reasonable and it comes with a universal mounting plate.  This would save me over a $100 or so bucks from a Monokey and M7 plate.  
The PO of my Concours had installed the JC Whitney large top case.  He tried painting it for some reason and it looks terrible.  But, I used that thing for a few years on the Connie and it was great.  Never leaked in the rain.  I just got and installed the SR2122 rack last night.  I installed my JC Whitney case for now, but would like to get something a bit nicer.  

Thanks.

I have the Yamaha factory rack and top case.  I keyed it to my ignition key also using the Yamaha kit.   Unlike some of the other motorcycle manufacturers, Yamaha is very competitive on price and the factory luggage looks great on the bike.  Keying the luggage to my ignition key is a huge bonus and very convenient and "integrated".    Several sites on the Internet discount Yamaha parts also.

Archived