Frame sliders bolts

aeg

Maybe I get better response if I start a new thread...
What do you use on the mounting bolts: thread-locker, oil, grease, anti-seize lubricant, astroglide?
thx

I use the non-permanent thread locker on anything except very small nuts/bolts such as phillips screws, or if the nuts are mounted in plastic, or if permanent thread locker is specified. I use anti-seize on spark plugs.

Permanent thread locker should (almost) never be used.

Permanent thread locker was not on the list of options in the OP.

Since the manual does not specify anything to be applied I used nothing.
Some manufacturers of the frame sliders suggest anti-seize and some suggest thread-lock on the engine bolts. To me the anti-seize option makes more sense, but I was looking for others view on this. 

Since the manual does not specify anything to be applied I used nothing.
Some manufacturers of the frame sliders suggest anti-seize and some suggest thread-lock on the engine bolts. To me the anti-seize option makes more sense, but I was looking for others view on this.
To me the engine bolt torque is important. " Wet" torques with anti-seize/thread locker is not the same as "dry" torque without any anti-seize or thread locker.  I believe Yamaha engineers spent a lot of time/effort determining the proper torque without any anti-seize/thread locker. 

To me the engine bolt torque is important. " Wet" torques with anti-seize/thread locker is not the same as "dry" torque without any anti-seize or thread locker.  I believe Yamaha engineers spent a lot of time/effort determining the proper torque without any anti-seize/thread locker.
Nah. Engineers are fundamentally lazy. In mass production the best solution is one that satisfies your customers with the least amount of effort. They are going to look up how much torque the bolt / thread / nut combination is rated to with the acceptable factor of safety. Then they will double check their FEA (finite element analysis) model and/or data from other previously designed motorcycles to make sure that number isn't bonkers. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Nah. Engineers are fundamentally lazy. In mass production the best solution is one that satisfies your customers with the least amount of effort. They are going to look up how much torque the bolt / thread / nut combination is rated to with the acceptable factor of safety. Then they will double check their FEA (finite element analysis) model and/or data from other previously designed motorcycles to make sure that number isn't bonkers. 
Both of you are saying the same thing: that torque is the important factor.

Archived