Anyone running Nitron shocks?

joeszup

• Premium Member
If so, what do you think?  
Which shock did you get? (R1, R2, or R3?)
How heavy are you?  I ask this because I'm about 270 with no gear.  Biggest these come in are 250lb setups.
Finally, did you upgrade the front shocks along with the Nitron?

if you don't balance both ends you will not be happy with the results and especially at your weight. You can put any of the common springs on a Nitron so I would question your source of info. The R2 is probably as high a price/feature you'd want to go. You can get feature parity from K-Tech, Ohlins, and Penske for same or less money. Is Nitron well supported where you are?

• Premium Member
if you don't balance both ends you will not be happy with the results and especially at your weight. You can put any of the common springs on a Nitron so I would question your source of info. The R2 is probably as high a price/feature you'd want to go. You can get feature parity from K-Tech, Ohlins, and Penske for same or less money. Is Nitron well supported where you are?
I figured that both ends should be done, but this is my first foray into aftermarket shocks.  The weight specs come from what you can order on Revzilla, so I was going by that.  As for being supported, I've seen lots of info on the boards about Ohlins, but nothing about Nitron, so I was just wondering.

Nitron shocks are built in UK and take (sometimes a good) while to show up State-side. There is a decent service network in USA but say you have a local (ride up) service center for Ohlins or Penske vs having to send the Nitron thru the post. That's what I was referring to. In some countries non-Ohlins techs are few and far between.

I can get you a modest (compared to what I can do on other brands) discount on Nitron and if you want him to, one of my sources can adjust the valving to suit your desires. Just ask @xlxr  about his customized Ohlins.

I weigh 270 lbs in gear, an additional 10 lbs in a small gear bag. I went with Ohlins 535 shock and fork inserts. Shock spring is 625 lb, brain fart, I can't remember the brand of spring. Some guys go with 700 lb spring, but I never ride two up or saddle bags, or loaded up for multiple day rides. Fork springs are 1 kg. Shock and compression leg of the forks were revalved by Norwest suspension. You MUST do forks and shocks at the same time. I tried Race Tech first, not even close. But I do not have any experience with Nitron shocks.

• Premium Member
Thanks everyone, this is great info.  I've never had a suspension upgrade done on any of my bikes in the 25+ years I've been riding, so this is new to me and I'm still research all my options.  I'll take a look at the Ohlins like everyone has said.  

• Supporting Member
I've never had a suspension upgrade done on any of my bikes in the 25+ years I've been riding, so this is new to me and I'm still research all my options.
Prepare to be enlightened.  Caution - once you see the light, you will forever be spoiled and will never look at "lesser components" again.  Not exaggerating, once you have ridden a bike specifically set up for YOU its all rainbows and unicorns... blissful MAGIC! 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
oh speaking of, I do happen to have a new one sitting on my shelf due to a cancellation earlier this spring.
Do you still have this shock? Which model and how much spring?

It's an NTR1 with a 550lb/in (95N/mm) spring in Titanium *color* for a <170lb rider. I can get different spring rates but they won't necessarily be their trademark blue or dark gray, but rather dark red or yellow.

Love the Gen1 'priller @vex.

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
I got the R2 with 550lb spring, I'm ~260 with gear (keep preload at about 20-25 clicks). Didn't do the front springs I just have the preload cranked all the way in. So far very much liking the shock and have not bottomed out the front even on aggressive braking (got a bit over 1 inch left away from bottom).
As mentioned it was a huge improvement switching from the OEM shock.

Got the R2 with remote preload, but only because it was s/hand (a few months old and rider was exactly the same weight). and just a tad more than a new R1. I do think the R1 is plenty good enough if your just using it on the road.. As an aside, I'm in uk, and Nitron were sooo helpful, considering I told them I wasn't the original purchaser. Top guys, and shock was just great on their stock settings.

IMG-3867.png

before swapping to ohlins ya535 (S46HR1C1S), I was running a nitron NTR-R3. one of the very best shocks, I had ordered it without the preload adjuster. the c-spanner that comes oem is pain in the ass to use it. the difference to the ntr2 is the fast-low compression (3-way independent) damping, which is a nice feature,a bit of an overkill imho, for the majority of the riders that own an fj-09 (tracer900).

the build quality is outstanding, the local dealer is not though. i have asked a specific spring for my weight, he brought me a softer spring (575 lbs), i sent an email to nitron uk saying several stuff about my weight and needs that i have explained to the dealer and they sent me a 600 lbs without charge and they would inform the dealer not to charge any labor for the swap.

anyway, the only negative i found is that nitron should produce all 3 models (ntr1-2-3) as a 46 piston diameter shock, with a 16 mm rod like other major brands (ktech, ohlins etc)... instead they produce it as 14mm rod piston shaft 40mm piston diameter...they have a 16-46 combo shock, the NTR-Race Pro Shock (46mm piston design and 16mm piston rod) but its a special order and not the official product for fz-09 / fj-09. its not bad and i think no one will notice a difference for every day usage or occasional track day.

wolf7.jpg

wolf3.jpg

last but not least, as previous member stated, you have to fix both ends, front also, there are a lot of choices here, either by fixing the oem part or with an aftermarket cartridge (andreanni kit, K-TECH IDS20, old OHLINS FGK237 is discontinued nowadays, there is the cheaper and newer OHLINS FKS504, bitubo ech229, nitron TVT 25mm cartridges, MUPO etc). i have installed the FGK237 and the bike's handling is extraordinary!
20160427-174722.jpg

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2018 at 2:44 AM, kemmotar said:

before swapping to ohlins ya535 (S46HR1C1S), I was running a nitron NTR-R3.

You still around @kemmotar? I'm curious why you swapped from the NTR-R3 to the YA535?  Looking at a YA-535 or R2 so would love your input as I am unable to find any true comparison between the two shocks.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA